Career Change

Hi. I am being made redundant from my office job at the end of June, and saw this as a great opportunity to do something I actually fancy doing. The plan was to use some of my redundancy cash to pay for my Class 2 and Class 1 training and possibly HIAB or ADR), as I’ve always fancied lorry driving. I’ve been reading through all the posts on here, and am under no illusions about the down-sides etc, but am looking forward to the challenge.
I understand that getting work for the first couple of years can be very difficult. I don’t have too high expectations, and will take what I can to gain experience and learn the ropes, and am quite prepared to keep trawling round agencies, transport companies etc but, like most people, do have financial committments.
A few people have suggested that I look at coach driving and, while it wasn’t what I had been thinking of, can certainly see a benefit in terms of getting a full-time, paying job with someone who will pay to put me through the PSV course. Also, I can always keep some money aside, and aim to do my LGV tests at a later date, and maybe make the switch in a year or two.
Apologies for the waffle, but I know less about coach driving than I do about lorry driving, and would welcome any advice or opinions.
Cheers

Stick with plan A mate. With the psv/pcv you know if you take and pass the test with a coach or bus company you will be stuck in thier pocket for probably 12 months until the training fee is covered and only be doing school runs or coach holiday feeders. If you get really lucky you might get a run up to Blackpool with 55 grey haired urine smelling wrinklies singing “My old man said follow the van blah blah blah” all the way there and back - Not everyones cup of tea.

I start my Class 2 training - self funded - on Thursday and like yourself will be badgering the agencies for any half decent weekend work with a view to getting a decent job at the end of it.

Good luck with a life changing decison as i see you have been in IT for 20 years (is that the same as staring at 4 walls for 20 years). :question: :question:

Thanks for the reply, leeb2461. Actually, “My old man said follow the van” is my all-time favourite of all-time, matey :open_mouth:

Good luck with your plans too - hope the training goes well! Let us know how you get on.

And nope, staring at the walls is what I get to do if I’m really luck and have a bit of a break (and then I only allow myself the luxury of staring at 1 wall!!)… oh to be able to stare at 4 walls for 20 years!! :confused: It’s funny - there are a few people here being made redundant, and only a couple are staying in IT. One is opening a B&B, one is going to be a postman, and one is going to cut the grass on golf-courses!!

Amazing. :open_mouth: My lad takes his A levels soon and is going to uni in September. He and all his mates tell me IT JOBS ARE THE FUTURE. Thanks for the heads up.

He’s probably right about that … it depends what you work on etc. I work on 1970’s mainframe technology, in Pensions and Insurance., but the newer web-based stuff is a completely different ball-game.

If not done already, have a good read of the posts on this site that cover the training and job prospects after the test is passed.

petesnook:
Also, I can always keep some money aside, and aim to do my LGV tests at a later date, and maybe make the switch in a year or two.

That was my plan as well (ok work as a bus driver and then save up for my lgv’s)

Only took me 7 years before I actually got round to it :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

And bus/coach driving experience counts for diddly squat in the lorry world.

I would also say stick to plan A