Career Change

Hey folks,

I’m not sure If I’m posting this in the correct area.

I’m currently working as a HR advisor and I’m not enjoying it. I worked as a van driver when I was studying and preferred the work and the environment. I’m looking to move into transport management by maybe starting as a transport admin or transport operator. can anyone give advice on where to look for positions other than indeed and S1 jobs and also what other things should I look at doing to help me? I have a lot of transferable skills but have never worked in a transport office. I’m hoping to do my operators CPC at some point.

any tips and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I,ll start by saying don’t take this the wrong way, BUT if you think you would be happier telling lads who been driving for years what to do you will either become very sad or violent , and you will be the one who takes all the blame with little thanks, if your great at what you do you probably wont get the recognition and if youre not it will just be grief, don’t get me wrong good transport manager s are like gold dust and there drivers will appreciate them but it aint the norm I’m an o/d have been a driver uk and euro and was a tm for a great boss with great drivers but it was the job I liked the least , and you gotta deal with dXXkhead customers every day how many happy smiley people do you see in transport? best wishes pal any help needed just ask hope you don’t think I’m just negative miserable old sod , if you liked van driving go back to that , i drive my own 7.5 tonner / 3.5 tonne van couldn’t be happier

Try working in human resources. its just as bad if not worse lol

to be fair mate why don’t you think about putting your own van on the road, ive always made more mile for mile with a 3.5 tonner than I ever did with an artic and you don’t have any o licence stress , depends what you want to earn but I had my van on a job that used less than £10 a day in diesel and paid myself a ton a day and my business still covered costs and made a profit just knock on doors mate

That does sound great mate but I thrive on a busy environment where a lot of planning and working things out. I also like to see progression.

We are looking to move further north towards fort william in the future too and logistics is a sector where you can work all over the country.

I would probably already be driving HGV’s but because I’m diabetic it’s too unpredictable.

well mate I wish you all the best , with you saying you like busy work (and I’m sure your over qualified) I know a bird who works in a taxi office 50 hrs a week £10.50 an hour that’s good for hull although prob no progression . good luck pal

Haha maybe not overqualified but I understand the people part of management unlike a lot of managers who bark orders :slight_smile:

Hi,
I worked as a transport technician and ran a workshop for a good number of years. I was fed up with getting my hands dirty and took job in HR for a couple of very big companies BT and Accenture. Seems a long time ago now!

I did my CPC about 2 years ago and decided to set up my own company. I already had the driving licences from early days so why not!

I’ve been trading since August last year. My son reckons I’ve got more grey hair since then! It’s hard very hard!

I feel better now than I did in HR but there’s still little to smile about. Finding work, paying bills, checking legislation, servicing costs for things I have no time to fix because I’m busy with other stuff. Then you’ll get a driver that smacks something at the start of a new contract and there’s more hassle than can be imagine.

They say you get one life so make your choice.

My next life will be better I’m sure.

it seems quite hard to find the positions.

I’m mainly looking at transport admin, operator or planner just now and would see where it went from there. I’ve also applied for a few warehouse admin and supervisor positions.

I’ll just keep my options open but I’m definetly needing out of HR. If I get stuck listening to another conversation about eastenders or some other drama I’m gonna snap lol

Some peole may not let you do this but it must be worth asking around.

Find a company that will let you work in their office for a few days or a week so you can get the feel for the job/work. Book a holiday away from your day job in HR and try it.

That could be worth a shot. There are a fair few small local companies out there I could write to (none of them have emails other than sales lol)

Do it. Go for it full steam. If you do it half heartedly, like anything you wont be happy. Anything in life is like that. If you can take it you can make it pal. i am HR background and about to start my CPC TM. Already in process of setting up company. If you genuinely want to do it, you don’t need anyone else to tell you yes or no. DO your research get studying and get onto the next CPC TM Course. stop dragging your feet :slight_smile: Transport ain’t half as hard as getting married and staying married. A very wise man once told me that. Retired TM for 40 years and married for 30.

I assume you not overly old and these many people change industries not just jobs, I’ve changed industries quite a few times before I found a job that suited me. Transport Mangement isn’t easy, you have a lot of factors to consider, not just the drivers, even though they think you there solely for their benefit. :smiley:

But if you like being busy, can deal with a load of things at once, and deal with loads of problems being thrown at you. You’ll probably make a go of it.

As for finding work, there must be something for a junior admin or planner, might be time to knock on doors and tells people who are and what you can do.

I’ve got a “chat” on Wednesday for a company based in Coatbridge. They are supposedly going to create the position to suit the person lol.

I’ve also got an application for a trainee depot manager and there is a couple of warehouse team leader positions etc which might help as a 1st step on the ladder.

I’m only 24 so still working out what I want to do with my life :slight_smile: lol

good luck with ‘chat’ mate, if it is a transport manager type job just make sure your absolutely all over wtd and drivers hours to start with. a good bunch of drivers will make your life do-able, theres tonnes to know and its constantly evolving , but like I said in previous post good transport managers are like gold for drivers and gaffers, hopefully you,ll be 1 of these , best wishes

It’d probably more likely to be a transport admin/planner than a transport manager. Gotta start at the bottom lol.

Was it for Constantine mate?

Naa mate wastewater services and I got the job. can’t wait to start :slight_smile:

want try living in our house,wife hr manger and a wpc laying down the law :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m planning on studying for my operators cpc shortly. does anyone know of any free online resources that I can use just now until I can buy the transport managers handbook?