Career change

Lots of choices from class two rigid multi drop, from ambient pallets to chilled or frozen food.
Deliveries to hotels, pubs and nightclubs for the drinks industry.
Class one and two Rdc drops, long waits to unload and wait even longer for the paperwork or Pod,proof of delivery notes.
Flat bed trailers for bricks, wide loads, agricultural machinery.
Livestock transport, up to your neck in muck.
Poultry haulage,live birds.
Adr fuel and chemical tankers.
Removals.
Concert and exhibition transport.
Milk tankers and food tankers or flour tankers.
Liquid tankers,fruit juices and syrups.
General haulage and tramping by being in the cab all week, to day work and home every night.
Cement mixers.
Tipper work,from quarries to building sites.
Bulk tippers from grain, wheat, sand, farm ingredients for livestock, soya or pet food ingredients.
Dead animal transport, from farms or zoo’s.
Civilians working for the MOD on wide load movements.
Hay and straw transport.
Night work on pallet hub trunking.

Certainly an option! I’ve always wondered about the fitness aspect: being stationary for so long. So I am glad you pointed that bit out. I’m keeping my options open at the moment with regard to what sort of haulage I am looking to do. At the moment I am looking at how I can progress past agency work. Obviously the operator avenue is an expensive option, but not closing doors on it yet. Is there an advanced drivers exam for it, or is it just cost that I need to consider?

Driving around the EU sounds a dream to be honest haha. Today at work has been bad and I’m just looking forward to some minimal solitude on the 20 min drive home!

I forgot Hiab work, which is a small crane to offload goods.
Container jobs are like Marmite, many hours to unload, but you go to unusual places, it can take six hours hours to unload a box full of small items by hand, it is called handball.
I got my bike out and said ring me when empty.
Builders merchants is another option.
I would say go for it and get on the road.

There is certainly a lot of variety. More than I expected. Thanks for the advice Tony. It’s much appreciated (and to you all in fact!)

I’m likely to ask more questions in future but will look for other threads so I don’t bog things up with already answered questions.

Research drivers hours and regulations, from the Vosa or the newly named Dvsa website, failure to comply with the rules can be a costly fine to be paid in full where they stop the vehicle.

Ben Greenhalgh:
Certainly an option! Obviously the operator avenue is an expensive option, but not closing doors on it yet. Is there an advanced drivers exam for it, or is it just cost that I need to consider?

!

As I said in an earlier post you need to apply for an operators licence. In itself not that expensive - maybe 500 or 600 iirc.

But in that application you need to demonstrate you have a few things (this is from memory)

• adequate capital to maintain your vehicle. I think you need to show free working capital of at least 8k per vehicle.
  • An operating premise. These can be hired but will not be that cheap as they obviously have to have planning permission for hgv movements
  • Insurances.
  • A maintenance contract in place (basically 8 - 12 week MOTs) that provides for regular inspection of each vehicle. Again not that cheap and they don’t like you saying you do it yourself even if you can.
  • and then a qualified transport manager. You could hire one - but they have to have Operators CPC credentials and again won’t be cheap. So this is where realistically as an owner driver you would want to look at taking the Operators CPC. Now some people do take distance learning courses but the exams are not cheap. Most people seem to spend a grand or so on a week long course to prepare for the exam.

Then you have to buy a vehicle.

Then you have to have customers.

Then you have to drive the vehicle.

Then you have to find more customers.

Then you have to invoice the customers and chase payments.

Then your vehicle breaks down.

Peter Smythe:
There’s many variations. One is as you describe. It’s also possible to get work where you’re home every night (less money though). Or to work regular nights. Anything you can think of is out there.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Not necessarily true about getting paid less for getting home every night at all Pete, thought you’d known that isn’t always the case at all! :open_mouth:

I work in plant hire/delivery, as do quite a few on here, as a low loader driver for a local family firm in East Anglia. I’m not even paid as well as some in my local area either on other low loaders or beavertails with HIAB’s.

And I was paid a lot less than this 18 months ago going from C2 to C1 (circa £23k then to circa £36k now).

Average week at moment 57 hours (usually start 7am/finish 5-6pm, can start later or earlier but little bit extra given for inconvenience). Mon to Fri. Paid extra to work weekends, but won’t work a Saturday, but will cover an emergency Sunday as required no argument.

Currently grossing over £650 a week (I say gross pay as lorry drivers on here tend to forget that everyone’s tax liabilities are different so everyone’s take home can be quite different!)

I COULDN’T earn that as a Chartered Engineer/Surveyor on my contracted hours…which we never did as we worked double our contracted hours per week for no extra pay!!! Like you I Graduated from Reading with a Desmond in Building Surveying and that’s how a professional is treated and expected to accept wage slavery for 90+ hours a week for £30k per annum :open_mouth:

Very rarely night out on this like others in the industry (about once or twice a month) but I’m extremely lucky that I get paid through all my breaks during day and get paid my flat hourly rate straight through my daily rest period whilst sleeping out.
So just sleeping in the lorry I’m earning £100+ for doing FA on top. And obviously paid all the hours I’ve worked before stopping and after starting again next day until I’m back home.

Basically from day I set off to day I get home if overnighting I’m paid every hour I’m on call (I call it as may have to wait hours for stuff to be ready before I can start to deliver. I don’t get asked to do much in between but offer to as I feel very worried about sitting around doing nothing while being paid a lot of money, so do anything I can to speed up the process!)

Also very lucky not expected to run bent either…tried that at another place previously…not worth it for ANYONE.

Suppose a lot on here would say my job is ■■■■, its dirty, working all weathers, with heavy plant and chains etc. My lorry would be classed as old its an 09 plate DAF CF (wendy cab) with a 9 year old king low loader trailer. Both getting tidier now I’m investing time and interest in them but not got any serious unroadworthy defects, cosmetics look dated but its a working vehicle.

Always remember this as you seem a wise person!!!

I worked for a company where we had brand new Volvos FH16 750 and 500’s and had to work every hour I breathed (otherwise I was made to feel like I was letting boss down and chasing my shadow for every little job) for an average wage to please my boss and then be treated like zb by him!!!
Because them new motors really contributed to paying my mortgage didn’t they… :unamused: :unamused: but you’ll hear loads on here bang on most important thing is the lorry, then the job next then next week they complain the job is ■■■■!
Couldn’t make it up :laughing: :laughing:

Never believed in that “lorry first and chasing my shadow” from day one but I did my time to make mistakes and get my experience up.

Now I work for an incredibly well paid wage (i think)l, certainly don’t worry about the lorry as long as it works and still keep learning everyday.

So just want to let you know there are loads of job types out there that will pay well if you’re willing to do another skill rather than just driving that can also be quite challenging and very interesting.

C

Not necessarily true about getting paid less for getting home every night

Seems that you’ve dropped well and truly on your feet!! And that’s brilliant. But the point I made above remains generally correct. Many comments that are made on the forum are, by nature, generalisations.

Congratulations on the progress you’ve made. It’s brill.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

emwmarine:

Ben Greenhalgh:
Certainly an option! Obviously the operator avenue is an expensive option, but not closing doors on it yet. Is there an advanced drivers exam for it, or is it just cost that I need to consider?

!

As I said in an earlier post you need to apply for an operators licence. In itself not that expensive - maybe 500 or 600 iirc.

But in that application you need to demonstrate you have a few things (this is from memory)

• adequate capital to maintain your vehicle. I think you need to show free working capital of at least 8k per vehicle.
  • An operating premise. These can be hired but will not be that cheap as they obviously have to have planning permission for hgv movements
  • Insurances.
  • A maintenance contract in place (basically 8 - 12 week MOTs) that provides for regular inspection of each vehicle. Again not that cheap and they don’t like you saying you do it yourself even if you can.
  • and then a qualified transport manager. You could hire one - but they have to have Operators CPC credentials and again won’t be cheap. So this is where realistically as an owner driver you would want to look at taking the Operators CPC. Now some people do take distance learning courses but the exams are not cheap. Most people seem to spend a grand or so on a week long course to prepare for the exam.

So not a lot of operators on here then? I guess we’re looking at a business model of a few trucks to make it worth it, rather than a single artic?

Constantine:

Peter Smythe:
There’s many variations. One is as you describe. It’s also possible to get work where you’re home every night (less money though). Or to work regular nights. Anything you can think of is out there.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Not necessarily true about getting paid less for getting home every night at all Pete, thought you’d known that isn’t always the case at all! :open_mouth:

I work in plant hire/delivery, as do quite a few on here, as a low loader driver for a local family firm in East Anglia. I’m not even paid as well as some in my local area either on other low loaders or beavertails with HIAB’s.

And I was paid a lot less than this 18 months ago going from C2 to C1 (circa £23k then to circa £36k now).

Average week at moment 57 hours (usually start 7am/finish 5-6pm, can start later or earlier but little bit extra given for inconvenience). Mon to Fri. Paid extra to work weekends, but won’t work a Saturday, but will cover an emergency Sunday as required no argument.

Currently grossing over £650 a week (I say gross pay as lorry drivers on here tend to forget that everyone’s tax liabilities are different so everyone’s take home can be quite different!)

I COULDN’T earn that as a Chartered Engineer/Surveyor on my contracted hours…which we never did as we worked double our contracted hours per week for no extra pay!!! Like you I Graduated from Reading with a Desmond in Building Surveying and that’s how a professional is treated and expected to accept wage slavery for 90+ hours a week for £30k per annum :open_mouth:

Very rarely night out on this like others in the industry (about once or twice a month) but I’m extremely lucky that I get paid through all my breaks during day and get paid my flat hourly rate straight through my daily rest period whilst sleeping out.
So just sleeping in the lorry I’m earning £100+ for doing FA on top. And obviously paid all the hours I’ve worked before stopping and after starting again next day until I’m back home.

Basically from day I set off to day I get home if overnighting I’m paid every hour I’m on call (I call it as may have to wait hours for stuff to be ready before I can start to deliver. I don’t get asked to do much in between but offer to as I feel very worried about sitting around doing nothing while being paid a lot of money, so do anything I can to speed up the process!)

Also very lucky not expected to run bent either…tried that at another place previously…not worth it for ANYONE.

Suppose a lot on here would say my job is [zb], its dirty, working all weathers, with heavy plant and chains etc. My lorry would be classed as old its an 09 plate DAF CF (wendy cab) with a 9 year old king low loader trailer. Both getting tidier now I’m investing time and interest in them but not got any serious unroadworthy defects, cosmetics look dated but its a working vehicle.

Always remember this as you seem a wise person!!!

I worked for a company where we had brand new Volvos FH16 750 and 500’s and had to work every hour I breathed (otherwise I was made to feel like I was letting boss down and chasing my shadow for every little job) for an average wage to please my boss and then be treated like zb by him!!!
Because them new motors really contributed to paying my mortgage didn’t they… :unamused: :unamused: but you’ll hear loads on here bang on most important thing is the lorry, then the job next then next week they complain the job is [zb]!
Couldn’t make it up :laughing: :laughing:

Never believed in that “lorry first and chasing my shadow” from day one but I did my time to make mistakes and get my experience up.

Now I work for an incredibly well paid wage (i think)l, certainly don’t worry about the lorry as long as it works and still keep learning everyday.

So just want to let you know there are loads of job types out there that will pay well if you’re willing to do another skill rather than just driving that can also be quite challenging and very interesting.

C

Thanks for this. I came onto the forum knowing nothing about this other than average pay and a bit about training. I really appreciate all of you pitching in to give me advice. Seems a nice community of people on the roads.

I’ll be looking into this more over the next few weeks and I’ll likely go for the training in the summer.

Is it fairly easy to find work? As I said, I currently work 9-5 for £17,000 and I’m happy to work evenings and the odd weekend if needed. Early starts are just getting into a routine right? haha

Ben Greenhalgh:

emwmarine:

Ben Greenhalgh:

!

• Insurances.

So not a lot of operators on here then? I guess we’re looking at a business model of a few trucks to make it worth it, rather than a single artic?

I think there are quite a few owner operators on here but just don’t underestimate what is involved in doing it. You need to know the business very well and have a fair bit of capital behind you.

A look in here might help with the owner / operator

viewforum.php?f=4

Drivers Hours

gov.uk/government/publicati … cles-in-gb

by all means get a licence…go and work for some agencies,wreck anything you like and walk away ,worst that can hapen if that specific agency or company wont use you but there will always be plenty that will.your basic requirements to be eligable for agency work apart from your licence/dcpc is that you can walk and chew chewing gum at the same time,and be able to answer a phone.if you are capable of that,then your on the books.itl be a learning curve. if you get a good real job,that suits your lifestyle then keep it and be happy.other than that,your a lamb to the slaughter,ignorance may be bliss,and its a nice thought thinking about becoming an o/d…do not do it or you will end up broke/stressed etc. the ones that make it are best suited to being born and bred into the industry and know whats what before they start.stick to playing with agecy work with no liabilities,then if you like it find a good job.with very few exceptions,then working for yourself will almost certainly be nothing but greif.

dieseldog999:
by all means get a licence…go and work for some agencies,wreck anything you like and walk away ,worst that can hapen if that specific agency or company wont use you but there will always be plenty that will.your basic requirements to be eligable for agency work apart from your licence/dcpc is that you can walk and chew chewing gum at the same time,and be able to answer a phone.if you are capable of that,then your on the books.itl be a learning curve. if you get a good real job,that suits your lifestyle then keep it and be happy.other than that,your a lamb to the slaughter,ignorance may be bliss,and its a nice thought thinking about becoming an o/d…do not do it or you will end up broke/stressed etc. the ones that make it are best suited to being born and bred into the industry and know whats what before they start.stick to playing with agecy work with no liabilities,then if you like it find a good job.with very few exceptions,then working for yourself will almost certainly be nothing but greif.

Best advice i’ve ever heard.

Peter Smythe:
But the point I made above remains generally correct. Many comments that are made on the forum are, by nature, generalisations.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

True, very true Pete about generalisations, :laughing: but I was trying to make a point there are quite a few different types of jobs that pay very well and you can be home every night…it is getting more common contrary to popular belief.

A lot of people on the forum seem to think you gotta work away all week non stop or crazy shift patterns to make a good money and its not always the case.

Just trying to paint a broader picture it can be done with a bit of effort, not excessive though :laughing:

Others around here earn better money and similar hours in at least 3 different sectors of haulage to mine and its not like we’re in/on London weighting etc.

I just wanted to pass on my experience to OP that i used to think exactly like them and how others on here reckon only good money in tramping/night shifting…then a few posters on here opened my eyes wider and showed me there are more avenues than you ever thought and quite a few can be extremely lucrative and give a good worklife balance too which lots argue on here isn’t possible…

It took a while to get where I am now but I put a kinda plan of what I wanted to do, listened to good advice from wherever and followed it and then kept ear to ground to try and move to the right/better place.

I aint anything special, so its quite plausible to do if you want too Ben.

:smiley:

C

dieseldog999:
If you like it find a good job.with very few exceptions,then working for yourself will almost certainly be nothing but greif.

Dieseldog hits nail on head about capability requirements initially when you start out.

But as all said OD you need some serious money and contacts etc…my boss been in game 40 years and this past fortnight I whince at what my boss has had to payout for to keep the artic on road…x3 punctures of them x2 brand new tyres (1 on unit - metal in sidewall write off and 1 on trailer - blowout write off), x1 leaking valve replaced, 8 weekly check trailer and unit MOT - 4 shock absorbers, 3 pairs of brake shoes and drums, bolts to hold ramp indicators, front brake pads and discs on unit , tyre valve extensions replaced etc etc a few more repairs i can’t think of now…with also losing money as unit and trailer off the road for equivalent of 4.5 day’s with all that lot!!!

C

Ben Greenhalgh:
Thanks for this guys. It’s the main concern with any sort of work like this: ‘how will it effect my life’. As I said before, I’m also wondering how much time is spent waiting around doing nothing. Do you guys spend a long time waiting for stuff to happen or is it, for lack of a better phrase, balls the to wall crazy busy?

I’ve been driving professionaly now for 4 years, got my heavy goods when I was 24, usually spend couple hours out the day waiting to get loaded/unloaded.
If you accept this and just crack on with the day you’ll enjoy it.
Start watching the clock and getting stressed at every ■■■■ on the road and it’ll be the worst job ever.
Decent wage and get to see different parts of the country :slight_smile: