Career Change, (Army to HGV Driving) located Dorset

Hey Folks,

New to the forum just have a couple of questions reference trucking that I hope you guy’s/girls could help me with, currently changing careers from the British Army as a Driver/Storeman after 8 years to an HGV Driver (C+E licence held for 6+ Years + ADR (Tanks)(25Yearsold). Currently looking for HGV (C + E) work preferably ADR as it generally pays better I believe? But the real question is what other jobs that arnt ADR also pay well? I’m willing to work overseas or UK Jobs in Dorset area only if anyone knows of any going in that area that arnt already being advertised? I have alot of ‘military’ driving experience in the UK and all over the world including falkland islands,Germany,Cyprus Afghanistan,Iraq but none as a civilian driver outside the Army so not sure if companies will put that against me.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks for your time and sorry if I bored you haha.

Cheers
Will

Do you have a current DQC - driver cpc card :question:

Do you have a digicard :question:

I have my CPC & ADR course booked on the 14th September for 7 days and haven’t got my digi card yet.

William822:
I have my CPC & ADR course booked on the 14th September for 7 days and haven’t got my digi card yet.

Looks like you’ll have all that sorted ok :smiley:

BTW hate to say but a lot of companies won’t even take into consideration you Army driving so you will be starting from scratch

A lot of ADR work is not paid much more than ordinary work due to supply / demand a lot of drivers out there with ADR now

You are a bit too far south to help with jobs but know up here in the far North East of England the pay is not much above min avarage £24 k year before tax so if looking for money don’t do driving although you are you you could go abroad quite easy

I got out under two years ago.
Done my licences years ago in the army and never used them much

Had an office job hated it and started driving as a means to an end just over a year ago.

You will get a job easy as you had your licence for years and over the catchment age.

There is loads of work out there I got my cv squared away with the CTP guys.
every time I send my cv to what ever company on the Internet in my area.
I always get offered work or to attend for an interview.

It ain’t rocket science but does take a hell of allot of getting use to doing commercial driving with arctics.

The money various on what type of work you want todo.
You ain’t going get good money working 7-5 days to start with prob bout 22k ish.
If your willing to go away and work you earn between 35-40k.

Depends what you want todo mate.