Card download

Does anyone know if I have not used my digital tachometer card because I am on analogue charts do it still need periodic downloads.

No.

But you will need to carry it because its on your DVLA record.

Boris1971:
Does anyone know if I have not used my digital tachometer card because I am on analogue charts do it still need periodic downloads.

Interesting question :wink:

If the transport company only operate vehicles fitted with analogue tachographs there is no legal requirement for them to download the data from the driver card.

However, if the transport company have a mixed fleet of vehicles using both digital tachographs and analogue tachographs, I would say that the regulations are worded in such a way that suggests that the company are required to download the driver card of any drivers who drive for them and possess a driver card, regardless of what type of tachograph the driver uses.

Cheers tachometer, that confirms what I suspected.

I would guess that as the card has never been used and there is no relevant data on it that the company needs in order to remain compliant then there is no need to download nothing is there.

The company only need to account for the drivers actual data etc.

Truckbling:
I would guess that as the card has never been used and there is no relevant data on it that the company needs in order to remain compliant then there is no need to download nothing is there.

This ^, but it’s guaranteed that an argument would ensue if you pointed this out to the company so to keep the peace I’d just insert my card into the reader and let it download nothing :laughing: .

Truckbling:

How will the company know that there’s no data on the card without downloading it :confused:

Anyway, the regulations state that the 28 day period in which a card must be downloaded starts the day after “the driver drives for the undertaking”.

The regulations don’t say anything about whether or not the card has been used, they simply say that the card must be downloaded (not an accurate quote):

• No later than 28 days from the day after the driver first drives for the company.
  • Or 28 days from the first time the driver drives for the company after the last download.

Whichever is applicable.

To me that suggests that the card should be downloaded regardless of what type of tachograph is used.

The Passenger and Goods Vehicles (Recording Equipment)(Downloading and Retention of Data) Regulations 2008

I’ll wait to be corrected though :smiley:

Well that’s not hard proof is it, its just your opinion which I respect but do not agree with. I held my digi card for months before most companies began using them and it was never downloaded, basically because nowhere had the facility to do the download which would have been pointless because there was no data on the card anyway. I agree that if the card is used once then it must be presented for download but do not agree that if the card has not yet been used then it still needs downloading. The company only need to keep an accurate record of their vehicle and drivers usage so if only analogue cards are used then this would equate to an accurate record and would satisfy Vosa.

Its a little like saying you need to fill out an old style tacho even though you are using a digi card.

As I said in my first post, “If the transport company only operate vehicles fitted with analogue tachographs there is no legal requirement for them to download the data from the driver card”.

You’re right that what I’ve posted is just my opinion, but right or wrong it’s an opinion based on what’s written in the regulations one of which I’ve posted a link to.

We’ll have to agree to disagree, have a good day :wink:

The op asked:

tachograph:
As I said in my first post, “If the transport company only operate vehicles fitted with analogue tachographs there is no legal requirement for them to download the data from the driver card”.

Which is what I said originally.

That’s that one sorted. :smiley:

I had a letter Sat morn from VOSA.They want me to take my digi card to their office for downloading.My card gets down loaded either daily,or deffinatly weekly.Im wondering why they have sent me a postal request.Has anyone else ever heard of this ?.Regards,Mick.

mickevans1957:
I had a letter Sat morn from VOSA.They want me to take my digi card to their office for downloading.My card gets down loaded either daily,or deffinatly weekly.Im wondering why they have sent me a postal request.Has anyone else ever heard of this ?.Regards,Mick.

Nope.

mickevans1957:

Perhaps you are one of the few unlucky ones singled out for random spot checks and WTD hours checks…or they think you have been naughty ? Or the company have been naughty ?

mickevans1957:

Never heard of this, have you ever used you card or previously worked for a company an now left them but they are under investigation?
When you find out why can you let us know?

Ok i will when i find out what they are up to.Regards,Mick.

I phoned VOSA this morn.The reason i got a postal requestto take my digi card in for them to download is aparantly to do with an On Going investigation into a company i worked for briefly early this year.The Traffic Examiner said it had to be done by post due to me not being with the company they are looking into anymore.So now we know eh.Im hopefull i will be ok,because i never used my digi card with the company.

The company could ask you to download your card to check you have not been working on your rest days… As rob says, just do it…

Yes,good point.But how do i download a card when the lad im cotracting too,i never see.Get instructions over phone.So dont ever go to base.Collect vehicle from a third party premises.So no oppurtunity to download.Any idears ?