Car transporters

Bye bye

logisticsmanager.com/cars-co … hemselves/

Not the only thing we will be saying goodbye to!
Big changes on the way very soon within road transport.

This will never happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cars don’t just go anywhere on a transporter neither do they all fit in one place

Also they don’t strap to secure themselves on decks.

All this autonomy is very well, but removing humans in the name of efficency is only going to destroy the current business model. If no one has a job, they have no money. So who will be able to afford these consumer goods?

Dr Damon:
Not the only thing we will be saying goodbye to!
Big changes on the way very soon within road transport.

I find the future of transport, frightening and exciting at the same time.
Was at the IAA working for a major car manufactures last week, some of the stuff they were showing off as the future of transport was really interesting, far more than just automated and electric vehicles, but complete transport infrastructure changes from the little I understood.

However I find automation worrying, it isn’t just driving they think will be automated, but many jobs including professionally qualified jobs are also ripe for it, many people who gloat and love to point out that driving is likely to be automated are very likely to find they are also out of the job due to automation.
However if you’ve automated these jobs and haven’t found alternative employment for the people that have been replaced by robots,
Who are you going to sell the driverless cars too?
How are these people going to pay for the goods now arriving on driverless truck?
What are going to be the social consequences of mass job losses, will we have a society of a wealthy group with jobs and the money and an underclass relying on handouts and social security?
Will those with the money begrudge paying for those without work?
Will those relying on social security begrudge those with the money, will this lead to civil unrest or even revolution?
At what point do the robots become so advanced they take over from humans, something I believe Stephen Hawkings has spoken about.

There is a quote at the end of Jurrasic Park that seems to sum up what’s happening?

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.

AndieHyde:
All this autonomy is very well, but removing humans in the name of efficency is only going to destroy the current business model. If no one has a job, they have no money. So who will be able to afford these consumer goods?

Automation has been going on since Henry ford built his cars on a production line, factories have been automated to save on labour, repetitive jobs etc. People will find alternate employment away from the automated jobs that are now done as they always have. Driving is no different, as cars, trucks make progress in technology and software (artificial intelligence) is tested and perfected the drivers as we know them will dissapear, it is a fact that this will indeed happen. I have been involved in many automation projects within cold stores and have witnessed the leap from people saying that will never happen. We saw the end of stolkers years ago and now there is no such job. I have seen engineers been made redundant in the name of technology that automates self diagnosing compressors and components which all can be fixed quickly through software, or send an engineer out from a remote site that used to have 12 engineers reduced to two. Why would you think driving automation is any different, just because you don’t like the idea of losing your job. It is not science fiction, it is a reality and it is a lot further advanced than some dare or want to imagine.

I seem to remember learning about a bunch of weavers in Lancashire who tried to stop the introduction of automatic machines in the mills because they were afraid of losing their jobs. Fella called Ned Ludd was their leader I think.

Ah the Luddite movement.
Difference there back in the day, this cutting edge tech only served to increase production many times over and with a ready available market to the whole world who were clamering for these products, business was good and expansion was rapid.

Modern day Globalmegacorps are looking to cut out inefficient humans with greater autonomy usually to increase profit margins but the downside of this is undermining its own consumer base and inadvertantly causing a shrinking market.

The concept of the infinite growth model, while it has been great for the last 60 years or so, is fundamentaly flawed as nothing can keep expanding for ever. We are on the downward slope of the bell curve right now and coupled with rampant greed that has been allowed to flourish for the last 25 years, something will have to give.

Maybe old Ned was ahead of his time, but the power can be turned back to the people. Machines can be broken, the human spirit is not so easy.

Terminator films nearly about to become real life!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

UKtramp:

AndieHyde:

Automation has been going on since Henry ford built his cars on a production line, factories have been automated to save on labour, repetitive jobs etc. People will find alternate employment away from the automated jobs that are now done as they always have. Driving is no different, as cars, trucks make progress in technology and software (artificial intelligence) is tested and perfected the drivers as we know them will dissapear, it is a fact that this will indeed happen. I have been involved in many automation projects within cold stores and have witnessed the leap from people saying that will never happen. We saw the end of stolkers years ago and now there is no such job. I have seen engineers been made redundant in the name of technology that automates self diagnosing compressors and components which all can be fixed quickly through software, or send an engineer out from a remote site that used to have 12 engineers reduced to two. Why would you think driving automation is any different, just because you don’t like the idea of losing your job. It is not science fiction, it is a reality and it is a lot further advanced than some dare or want to imagine.

I can agree with everything else you say but not this. We live in a world of declining employment and resources coupled to an ever increasing population. Big business has always seized any opportunity to reduce “costs” with absolutely no regard for any negative impact on human beens…do you see what I did there? :wink: :slight_smile:

TiredAndEmotional:

UKtramp:

AndieHyde:

I can agree with everything else you say but not this. We live in a world of declining employment and resources coupled to an ever increasing population. Big business has always seized any opportunity to reduce “costs” with absolutely no regard for any negative impact on human beens…do you see what I did there? :wink: :slight_smile:

Agree with you here. We are on the point of a big change.
Increasing population, is a major issue. Resources of water and land, and global warming will all play an increasing part in the future.
But automation is coming down the line far quicker.
I’m no economist but the system we have at the moment won’t survive with increasing automation and decreasing employment. Politicians who stand back and say “let the market decide” are fools. The market is made of companies designed to make profit for themselves. Companies are for short term gain. They are not there for the good of society as a whole. A company that automates it’s production will gain in the short term, by decreasing costs, and win an advantage over competitors. It must be the first, it must do this or be wiped out. It cannot think further into the future. Managers of limited companies are ousted by investors of their short term performance is lacking.
So we need politicians (not often I say that) to make a brave long term choice. And our system is not set up for that. As directors are fired, so are politicians who look long term not reelected.
But what we need stays the same. A longer term view of the future.
Maybe the idea of a living wage for all? Everyone to receive a decent income for doing. . . nothing. That’ll go down like a lead balloon with many here, but stay with me.
The way it’s going we could have a society where the majority are unemployed or held by mass unemployment levels in unpleasant badly paid jobs while a few highly paid techies and managers get all the money?
Never happen? Probably not.
But my point is it’ll need something radical to prevent this.
Hence, a living wage for all. You want extra? Then you work. I honestly am not the pessimist some have me as- I reckon lots of people enjoy being useful members of society. Maybe not being forced to get up a 4 on a Monday morning to feed your family but doing something to constructively fill your days.
This post is too long already, so apologies.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

TiredAndEmotional:

Yes I certainly do see what you did there :wink: However the part of my post that reads, people will find alternate employment is very relevant. The companies who lay the drivers off will either be able to offer alternate employment or make them redundant. People will need to find their own alternate employment as the driving jobs slowly decrease until they are no more,a driver will eventually be written into the history books along with all of the other jobs that have vanished. Who leaves school nowadays and becomes a coal miner in this country? and this is a very recent downturn. Instead of these people becoming miners they now become something entirely different. Did anyone care when the pits were closing on a daily basis? No only the miners which brings me to my point, when the drivers jobs start to dwindle away the only people who will care will be the drivers themselves.

“At the moment, the project is designed to “steer vehicles from the production line out to a collection point to await further transport.” However, according to Semcon, the system can also be adapted to streamline other parts of the logistics chain like moving vehicles onto trucks, trains or ships.”

Let’s not blow this out of proportion. They’re not talking about car transporters driving themselves or even the cars driving themselves to the show room or customer. Car transporter truckers have got a job for a while yet.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Santa:
I seem to remember learning about a bunch of weavers in Lancashire who tried to stop the introduction of automatic machines in the mills because they were afraid of losing their jobs. Fella called Ned Ludd was their leader I think.

Trivia time; the aforementioned weavers attempted to damage the automatic machines by throwing their footwear into the machinery. Their footwear was wooden clogs which were known as "sabots "; thus the term “sabotage” was coined. You’re welcome. :wink:

the maoster:

Santa:

Trivia time; the aforementioned weavers attempted to damage the automatic machines by throwing their footwear into the machinery. Their footwear was wooden clogs which were known as "sabots "; thus the term “sabotage” was coined. You’re welcome. :wink:

Crikey, first a doctor of lorry driving, and now Stephen Fry, this place has changed.

the maoster:

Santa:

That’s so elegant it should be true. But wiki and some others suggest the word predates the Luddite protests and has it’s origin in the actions of those poor (literally) workers who clattered around in their clogs.: noisy, rough, ill educated, people who did damage.
I prefer the idea of a shoe rather than a spanner in the works though.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

AndieHyde:

REMOVING HUMANS IN THE NAME OF EFFICIENCY

Hate to tell you but we are not as efficient as machines and robots.

Own Account Driver:

the maoster:

Santa:

Crikey, first a doctor of lorry driving, and now Stephen Fry, this place has changed.

Nope just an HGV licence like the rest of you and of course that silly DCPC!