Car transporter start up

Hello,

Anyone gone on there own and started up transporting cars, either with a 3.5t and trailer or 7.5 twin deck transporter?

Some YouTuber’s channel, who does up insurance write offs, I noticed had a Bentley Conti GT delivered on a 3.5t Transit from Copart so it looks like you’re still going to be up against plenty of non-compliant with much lower costs.

Own Account Driver:
Some YouTuber’s channel, who does up insurance write offs, I noticed had a Bentley Conti GT delivered on a 3.5t Transit from Copart so it looks like you’re still going to be up against plenty of non-compliant with much lower costs.

+1, running around like headless chickens for peanuts. Surely anything bigger than a Toyota Yaris on the back of a Transit puts it overweight?

Very difficult, competitive and aka headless chicken, that car has to be in Inverness tonight, and have you done that one in Ilfracombe yet? they are waiting for you.

The only way it could work is getting in with a multi franchised dealer on transfers, but ECM will shift a car for £30, the driver will probably charge them a tenner and use the coffee machine.

Yes, started 15 yrs ago & still going.

Couple of threads here you might find useful.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=158781

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137674

Own Account Driver:

And this is the problem. Soon to be made worse by the heavier nature of electric vehicles (A 3.5 ton will be out of the question). There are lots of people with 4x4 and vans towing trailers with no O licence or Tacho and you’ll have to compete with them. Although DVSA do try and pretend to be interested the dealerships aren’t. Bottom line is how cheap can the car be moved. I worked as TM for a company involved in this, 2nd week in March they sold up. Dealerships are all closed.

Hades3000:
Hello,

Anyone gone on there own and started up transporting cars, either with a 3.5t and trailer or 7.5 twin deck transporter?

Ignore the detractors. There is work out there for owner operators whatever route you go. Just remember to do your homework first. But if you are committed to making it work. Then it can work. If I had listened to all of the steering wheel jockeys years back, who told me you cannot make it pay then I would have regretted that for ever more. I am not saying you will get rich, as a one vehicle operator. But you can certainly earn a decent living. But just remember. DO your homework and stick close to what you know. In your case if you have knowledge of transporting cars then stick with that to get you started. A good mate of mine only transports motorcycles in the back of a transit. But I bet he earns more money than a Class 1 driver working for some one else doing 55 hours a week.
Best of luck to you.