Car transporter m1 j13 southbound today

Don’t know if anyone drove past mid morning today, having driven over plastic, broken glass and trim, thinking there had been an accident, there was a car transporter parked up on hard shoulder, I spotted a merc on his top deck, which must have been set too high, and has caught one of the bridges, result was a very smashed up car and poss damage to over cars on his trailer,
I felt very sorry for the guy, I can only imagine how the phone call went.
If you’re on here, I feel your pain and hope all will be ok.
Just wondered if said driver is liable for damage? My ex boss would dock every penny from wages until it was cleared! Hence why he’s an ex boss!

Possibly boot/tailgate came up, it does happen once in a while.

I had a very shocked bloke pull me up on the M6 one day, i’d got a three deck artic loaded with Peugeots (306 the car in question to date it), the car in question was facing forward but the last car on the top deck…i’d already covered 150 miles with the load but apparently the tailgate shot up just before a motorway bridge but the down draught going under the bridge closed it but sucked it open again as we passed out :sunglasses: , sure enough there was the tailgate standing wide open…had to shin up the ladder and slam it shut… :laughing:

Course if the car’s reversed on then its game over.

Crap happens on transporters now and again, just one of those things, the driver might lose his damage bonus if he gets paid one, if no damage bonus they will investigate and either he’ll get a bollocking or declared blame free.

This is going to sound like a Mate of a Mate story, well because it is.

Parked one night with a Mate, he gets out of his truck shaking his head “whats up mate” I ask, “just had My mate of Walons on the phone” “oh yes how is he” I had met this character a couple off times, and he was a decent bloke, “■■■■■■■■ his self, he has dropped the top deck onto the roof of a brand Range Rover underneath, worried for the sack” :open_mouth: Any way he didn’t get the sack, but as Juddian says there was a big enquiry, and a fresh round of indoctrination, I mean training :wink:

It pays to have the odd intermittent fault on such a lorry, apparently, may be a lever that sticks on or (and this one saved a bloke’s arse) a weird one where the tractor air suspension would go up and down on its own and a nasty vindictive bridge attack a car on the top :wink: …course the fitters can’t replicate these faults being intermittent by nature, but they can be used as a handy defence…so they tell me… :laughing: :laughing:

A bloke i worked with at another place had earned a new nickname, Crunchie, he’d done the same lowered the top deck onto the two cars underneath and kept going… :smiling_imp:

I had a ex car transporter driver with me too learn the ropes a few years ago and he said hitting a bridge was instant dismissal , no ifs or buts .
Was a old school type who’d been doing it for years , came on with us as he wanted days and home every day , short shifts , left when they started to require long days etc , said if he was going too have to do it might as well earn £££ more back on transporters

if I was carrying fiats I would deliberately put the decks as high as possible[only kidding]seriously though I hate fiats,if I ever win the big one [euro]I will buy loads of fiats and banger race them[that’s providing the bloody things start]

Feel better now for the share :smiley:

Not sure what the transporter drivers do with the keys, but alot of the newer cars open the boots fully electronically (can be done from the key), just speculation but if hes caught the button without realising that could of been the problem

tommyboy1289:
Not sure what the transporter drivers do with the keys, but alot of the newer cars open the boots fully electronically (can be done from the key), just speculation but if hes caught the button without realising that could of been the problem

Lock them from the interior button and then handle the key very carefully (especially with a BMW, no trouser pockets) before placing the key in the interior door pocket of the next car to go on, providing that it is for the same delivery point.

tommyboy1289:

Most of new cars are on transport mode.
None of the electronic key fobs will lock doors and the only door that will open is the driver side using the actual key to open or lock.

So u need to use the actual open or close button on the dash to lock or open the boot or doors to check your parts. Jump out drivers side and use key to lock the drivers door.

Themoocher:

tommyboy1289:

None of the electronic key fobs will lock doors and the only door that will open is the driver side using the actual key to open or lock.

So u need to use the actual open or close button on the dash to lock or open the boot or doors to check your parts. Jump out drivers side and use key to lock the drivers door.

I’ve yet to work out how to lock a Mitsubishi without the alarm activating during transit. I’ve started not locking the cars, but keeping hold of the bottom deck keys if parking up overnight with them. I then lock them when parked, and in the morning unlock them and open/close the drivers door.

Judehamish:

Themoocher:

tommyboy1289:

I’ve yet to work out how to lock a Mitsubishi without the alarm activating during transit. I’ve started not locking the cars, but keeping hold of the bottom deck keys if parking up overnight with them. I then lock them when parked, and in the morning unlock them and open/close the drivers door.

I don’t lock them if I know I’m defo going get them off same day.
If It’s a chance I’m not getting them off I just lock them back load keys.
Keep last two keys and let those alarms ring out like church bells on a Sunday morning till they stop. :smiley:
I ain’t moved Mitsubishi so can’t help mate.