Car transporter drivers

Hi just wondering if there’s any car transporter drivers on here being past or present . What’s the good points or bad points of the job and any advice to a new start ?

Another dumbed down part of the profession. Had a run in with an angry transporter driver who thought I should’ve got off of my side of the road to allow him to avoid branches hitting the cars he was carrying. Maybe he should’ve been more aware of his surroundings and slowed down?
They also hate being overtaken, and think parking rules don’t apply.

Good.

Can earn well once skilled, bear in mind it might take up to two years to gain full confidence and ability, it is not a job for everyone and that is nothing to hold against anyone, its a job like no other.
Interesting, a job you can take a pride in doing well.
No more RDC arses to deal with, you won’t be relieved of your keys and made to sit in a cramped holding cell with other inmates for hours on end.
Generally your get treated with respect at collection points and delivery points, but there are arse holes everywhere just maybe not as many as you would meet at general haulage collection/delivery points.
During the summer months its a great job, none better IMHO.
A certain amount of cameraderie still to in the job, not as good as it was but still better than most parts of the industry.
Very difficult job to dumb down, in an industry where constant and ongoing dumbing down has meant severe wage sliding due to oversupply of bums on seats, you can’t put a bum on seat on that job, you need a driver and always will.
Most firms pay all the parking and any expenses you incur without question.
Proper PPE will be provided, including decent gloves :sunglasses:
edit, forgot, one of the perks of the job is that after a few years driving car transporters you find that when you want another lorry job the doors open easier.

Bad.

There is an unbelievable amount to take in, the modern transporter is very complicated with almost unlimited combinations of loading the mixed and constantly growing larger variety of vehicles.
You will earn every penny you get and then some, you don’t get paid up to and, if you get on the right job, more than a grand a week (plus nights out) by sitting on your arse drinking tea and peering into your hand held device, you have to graft to get the top money and to get the reputation (and luck) that gets you the best jobs.
Some companies are paying big money but self employed, not sure how this is going to pan out i the future, not something i would do personally.
Its hard work, make no bones about it its probably the hardest work out there in lorryland, very very physical and very hard on the body especially the knees and joints, IMHO a young mans game not a job to be doing as you near 60, i got out at 55 and not a moment too soon, if you can’t take the odd knock don’t consider it, you will get hurt regularly not life threatening unless you decide to go off the top deck the quick way but it’s not a job for professional sick notes.
Its filthy work, in the summer you will sweat like a pig, rest of the year whatever the weather you are out in it, bad enough getting into a frozen lorry, well you might have 11 frozen cars to deal with each load and trust me by the time you’ve sat on 11 freezing cold drivers seats and been out for up to 2 hours sorting fetching loading and strapping down you will be cold to the bones.
Nights out are difficult, most cabs are cut down to accommodate a flipped up car on the peak, so cramped, so you won’t be having a fridge microwave and cooker in the cab but on the other hand you’ll be able to afford to eat properly every day good food without having to find the cheapest fish n chips in the town.
Multi drops are a nightmare, but ten times worse when you are starting out, you might have to unload 6 cars to get to two for your first delivery, and if you’re on a main road that can be a headache.
Wherever you park outside dealerships you will be public enema number one, as evidenced by Lacking Ale above, you need eyes up your arse because some people will aim for you, so handy to keep your ratchet bar handy in case someone decides they would like to smash their door mirror on it as they try to miss you by an inch or less :smiling_imp: .
Parking, a full sized transporter will be considerably longer than any normal artic or drawbar by the the time you’ve got 4/5ft of car sticking out the front and back and the extremities are vulnerable, so service area parking can be a big problem.
Height, loaded you’ll be up to 16ft when fully freighted, bridges are not a problem but tress are a big PITA, especially now in winter when you can’t see them, you will be all over the road to avoid them, most lorry drivers understand this an make allowances, but not all as you can already see.
Stability, a heavily loaded transporter is a handful, remember its a lorry and drag set up but the prime mover is a standard tractor unit with the towing hitch behind the drive axle, and the trailer longer and heavier and with the wheels only just behind the trailer centre line, so tail wagging the dog can be a feature, as you skill up you will learn better weight distribution, but some do not.

Advice.

Go into it with both eyes open, its not for everyone, many drop out before they’ve completed their training, many more drop out within weeks or months, some take to it like a duck to water and you cannot tell how its going to be until you try, i’ve known people who can load brilliantly but can’t drive the thing, others who are bloody good lorry driver of many years standing who just can’t get their heads round it.
You might get on a decent company straight off, you might not, so long as they aint taking the ■■■■ money wise then you might have to accept you can’t run till you can walk.
There is a massive shortage of good transporter drivers and its getting worse so pay isn’t going to go down, the industry hasn’t been affected by an influx of east europeans for a variety of reasons so hasn’t been cheapened, some companies have tried in the past and failed but to be fair there are some good EE’s on the job but not the flood that has ruined other parts of transport supply demand wages balance.

Had one in lane 3 at markeaton island the other day.how many other road users are you going to beat off the lights in a fully loaded car transporter?
Answer…none

Juddian:
Good.

Can earn well once skilled, bear in mind it might take up to two years to gain full confidence and ability, it is not a job for everyone and that is nothing to hold against anyone, its a job like no other.
No more RDC arses to deal with, you won’t be relieved of your keys and made to sit in a cramped holding cell with other inmates for hours on end.
Generally your get treated with respect at collection points and delivery points, but there are arse holes everywhere just maybe not as many as you would meet at general haulage collection/delivery points.
A certain amount of cameraderie still to in the job, not as good as it was but still better than most parts of the industry.
Very difficult job to dumb down, in an industry where constant and ongoing dumbing down has meant severe wage sliding due to oversupply of bums on seats, you can’t put a bum on seat on that job, you need a driver and always will.
edit, forgot, one of the perks of the job is that after a few years driving car transporters you find that when you want another lorry job the doors open easier.

Bad.

There is an unbelievable amount to take in, the modern transporter is very complicated with almost unlimited combinations of loading the mixed and constantly growing larger variety of vehicles.
You will earn every penny you get and then some, you don’t get paid up to and, if you get on the right job, more than a grand a week (plus nights out) by sitting on your arse drinking tea and peering into your hand held device, you have to graft to get the top money and to get the reputation (and luck) that gets you the best jobs.
Some companies are paying big money but self employed, not sure how this is going to pan out i the future, not something i would do personally.
Its hard work, make no bones about it its probably the hardest work out there in lorryland, very very physical and very hard on the body especially the knees and joints, IMHO a young mans game not a job to be doing as you near 60, i got out at 55 and not a moment too soon, if you can’t take the odd knock don’t consider it, you will get hurt regularly not life threatening unless you decide to go off the top deck the quick way but it’s not a job for professional sick notes.
Its filthy work, in the summer you will sweat like a pig, rest of the year whatever the weather you are out in it, bad enough getting into a frozen lorry, well you might have 11 frozen cars to deal with each load and trust me by the time you’ve sat on 11 freezing cold drivers seats and been out for up to 2 hours sorting fetching loading and strapping down you will be cold to the bones.
Nights out are difficult, most cabs are cut down to accommodate a flipped up car on the peak, so cramped, so you won’t be having a fridge microwave and cooker in the cab but on the other hand you’ll be able to afford to eat properly every day good food without having to find the cheapest fish n chips in the town.
Multi drops are a nightmare, but ten times worse when you are starting out, you might have to unload 6 cars to get to two for your first delivery, and if you’re on a main road that can be a headache.
Wherever you park outside dealerships you will be public enema number one, as evidenced by Lacking Ale above, you need eyes up your arse because some people will aim for you, so handy to keep your ratchet bar handy in case someone decides they would like to smash their door mirror on it as they try to miss you by an inch or less :smiling_imp: .
Parking, a full sized transporter will be considerably longer than any normal artic or drawbar by the the time you’ve got 4/5ft of car sticking out the front and back and the extremities are vulnerable, so service area parking can be a big problem.
Height, loaded you’ll be up to 16ft when fully freighted, bridges are not a problem but tress are a big PITA, especially now in winter when you can’t see them, you will be all over the road to avoid them, most lorry drivers understand this an make allowances, but not all as you can already see.
Stability, a heavily loaded transporter is a handful, remember its a lorry and drag set up but the prime mover is a standard tractor unit with the towing hitch behind the drive axle, and the trailer longer and heavier and with the wheels only just behind the trailer centre line, so tail wagging the dog can be a feature, as you skill up you will learn better weight distribution, but some do not.

Advice.

Go into it with both eyes open, its not for everyone, many drop out before they’ve completed their training, many more drop out within weeks or months, some take to it like a duck to water and you cannot tell how its going to be until you try, i’ve known people who can load brilliantly but can’t drive the thing, others who are bloody good lorry driver of many years standing who just can’t get their heads round it.
You might get on a decent company straight off, you might not, so long as they aint taking the ■■■■ money wise then you might have to accept you can’t run till you can walk.
There is a massive shortage of good transporter drivers and its getting worse so pay isn’t going to go down, the industry hasn’t been affected by an influx of east europeans for a variety of reasons so hasn’t been cheapened, some companies have tried in the past and failed but to be fair there are some good EE’s on the job but not the flood that has ruined other parts of transport supply demand wages balance.

Good post to let people know the script. Not something i’d ever consider personally due to basically the hassle it sounds, but not sure i’d even be skilled enough/would take a long time to get my head round it!

Dave-k, if i can do it anyone can.

Its not so much a skill thing IMHO, more of an aptitude for the work and unstressed persona requirement, though to be fair i wouldn’t suggest someone jumps into a bloody 11 car carrier having just passed their class 1, and few companies would risk a new pass anyway, makes sense to have an idea about vehicle handling in all weathers and get a few miles under your belt before taking the plunge.

Very good informative post from Juddian.

Quick question though - why are most car transporters classed as C+E when there is no fifth wheel - they are clearly a wagon and drag so should be classed as such?

roadhog69:

Quick question though - why are most car transporters classed as C+E when there is no fifth wheel - they are clearly a wagon and drag so should be classed as such?

All Wagon and drag is C + E. It doesn’t matter if there is no fifth wheel they are still articulated regardless.

Juddian:
Good.

Bad.

Advice.

Kind of info I been looking for. There are a few places advertising in my general area but don’t know much about transporters except they’re “different”.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Great post Juddian.

commonrail2:
Had one in lane 3 at markeaton island the other day.how many other road users are you going to beat off the lights in a fully loaded car transporter?
Answer…none

TBF, that island catches so many out, whatever they are driving :wink:

MrFaulconbridge:

roadhog69:

All Wagon and drag is C + E. It doesn’t matter if there is no fifth wheel they are still articulated regardless.

Not necessarily - some rigid drivers have Wag + drag entitlement