Car transporter driver weight

A lad at my place had left but came back very quickly. I was chatting to him earlier and asked what happened as he was going onto car transporters. He reckons he failed training because the trainer basically said he’s too big for the job, to do with moving around the trailer etc.

He’s a big lad but not carrying a lot of fat - he’s not got much of a belly or anything like that. Reckons he weighs 20st which I was surprised at.

Is this a thing? Like isn’t it a bit discriminatory? I did also suggest he may have had a screw loose for wanting to go on car transporters anyway :laughing:

Cant see that a factor in not getting the job, the car transporters are a lot smaller so everything is done sitting or lying down lol

We had some big lads on Ontime Automotive but they were knackered when it came to loading VX220 with hard tops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unless your man is a 6ft8 rugby player, 20 stone is FAT

Not a lot of room on the top deck for a large sized person to get in and out of cars,depending on the size of the cars being carried. of course.
Why would he need to have a screw loose for wanting to go on transporters.All depends on who you go on for,but thats the same with any job you go for.
The only reason I never went on transporters was because at the time they where mainly 7 car carrying artics with virtually a complete car sitting over the cab which when you turned left or right the car was still pointing forward.Even though the money you could earn was double to what I was getting on night trunk. These days they are more multi car wagon and drag.

lolipop:
Not a lot of room on the top deck for a large sized person to get in and out of cars,depending on the size of the cars being carried. of course.
Why would he need to have a screw loose for wanting to go on transporters.All depends on who you go on for,but thats the same with any job you go for.
The only reason I never went on transporters was because at the time they where mainly 7 car carrying artics with virtually a complete car sitting over the cab which when you turned left or right the car was still pointing forward.Even though the money you could earn was double to what I was getting on night trunk. These days they are more multi car wagon and drag.

I’ve personally just never fancied it. I used to drive for Toyota and watching the transporters loading up at Burnaston in all weathers i just thought there and then ‘no thanks’ lol

Driver’s weight itself doesn’t matter too much these days, as the transporter bodies are designed much better than of yor when you needed to be like a bloody stick insect to get through the crack in a door you could only open a pinch on the bottom deck of a Hoyner 3 decker, some vehicles you’d be accessing via the drivers window or via the back doors/tailgate.

You do need to be reasonably flexible though, surprising how difficult it is getting out of LHD Jaguars on the wagon, sounds no more difficult than exiting a RHD, but your body has trained itself for years to roll out to the right, not so the left.

that should be a wake up call for him, being told hes too fat.

How fat boy will drive in and out small car■■?

Me overweight [emoji111][emoji111] Reckon i can squeeze in & out of them cars ok & little chance of my clothes snagging [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wasn’t there some issues with the maximum design weight of certain seats inc those of the truck being 18 stone?

ive done salvage work on a transporter and i,m a biggish lad and tbh at times its not easy trying to squeeze through impossible gaps… and tbh seen quite a few big lads come for interviews ect and they never seem to get the jobs so probably turned down just on size? as juddian as said sometimes having to climb out the back of the car, passenger side, and i even had to climb out a sun roof once, …

His weight wasn’t an issue when he was employed, but only once he’d been with the trainer. Sounds to me like he was useless and he’s come up with this story to save face.

There’s a few pinch points, where size makes a difference. Older trucks don’t have a ladder off deck 1, but you can still get by if you’re agile enough.