Car Transporter Driver - Class 2

Seen a local add for this position working from a car auction business,
Full training given no previous transporter experience required ,

Any one else do this sort of work can pass on personal experiences,

I currently driver tippers so its got to be better than that right? :slight_smile:

Cheers

Hello Dave,

I’m a car transporter on the class 2’s at the moment.

Have you enquired with the company exactly what it is you will be doing ? There are different jobs within this line of work. Have you enquired as to what vehicle you will be using ? Some companies advertise as class 2 work, but when you start they put you on a 7.5t 2 car carrier.

It’s not really about giving advice or tips, it’s more about whether you have the characteristics to do the work, which is why I say ask the company what exactly it is you would be doing.

Generally speaking it can be hard graft, especially if you are collecting non runners from compounds where there may be no help. Are you prepared to work in all weathers, and at heights in the dark ? Are you comfortable using hydraulics ? Are you efficient in manual dexterity work and a problem solver ?

One of our class 1 drivers carrying 11 cars reached a bridge outside London and he was too high. Had to offload the cars, drive them through the other side and re load. There’s many different scenarios you could be faced with and it is not a drive from point a to b job.

Whether you might be suited to what I’ve said only you know, but there are easier class 2 jobs, which leads me to say that if you are considering becoming a class 1 transporter then it’s a good step, as you will gain experience, if not then do your research into why you would want to do the job class 2. Don’t spend too much time on a 7.5t, if you decide to do it get on the 2’s at the earliest you can as it will put you in good stead if you decide to go to the 1’s

Wouldn’t be at measham car auctions by any chance would it? If so, ive enquired about the job too :slight_smile:

Hi Hades3000
Cheers for that,
Don’t know much about the job at the moment only information I have is the ad it’s self and have sent in a cv so I will be sure to ask IF they contact me,

Is sure is Measham Auctions buddy,

been doing tipper work for a year now and was looking for a change

It sure must be a change from tipper work :slight_smile:

I’m guessing that you are from my neck of the woods then? I’m from coalville.

Good luck with it mate, hope it works out for you :slight_smile:

Yes mate woodville just the other side of ashby,

And too you mate , will let you know if I hear anything but I assume it will be popular so I’m not holding my breath too much

I think we’re in with a good chance, they were using agencies. They were always advertising, so they had a high staff turnover. I’m looking for class 1, so I’m not too sure why I applied, curiosity perhaps?

Swains near to you are looking for drivers, May be worth a phone call :wink: