Car transportation

Evening all, does anyone drive car transporters for a living here? I have a interview on Monday as my first class 1 job and would like a few tips if possible on the job.

Thanks

Never done it myself, but there’s lots of past threads about it if you use the search function. In summary, it seems to be a bit like Marmite.

Class one car transporters first job?

It can be done mate, but the job is seriously heavy going when you’ve been driving lorries several years, let alone having to cope with learning to drive a vehicle (that if its normal modern transporter configuration) is one of the most inherantly unstable designs on the road, and fully loaded about 10ft longer than nearly any normal artic.
Lots of experienced people can’t take to the job, and that’s no reflection on them because, as Harry says, its a marmite job, some can do it others can’t get their heads round it, and you’re giving yourself double hell being a new driver to boot.

Very unusual for a company to consider a new pass, either thats a true reflection of just how dire the transporter driver shortage now is, or they’re paying so poorly they are avoided by the dwindling supply of experienced blokes…or thirdly they are one of the companies who thought along the lines of ‘‘i can get drivers ten a penny’’ (yes my one time boss actually said that to us all at a wages/conditions meeting once, did that come back to bite him in the arse or what?) and driver sin the game are boycotting certain companies due to historic ■■■■ taking by said company…there is one company who i would never go to, the one featuring i can get them ten a penny man.

If you have confidence in your abilities then by all means go for it, but be assured you are letting yourself in for one hell of a learning curve for the next year or two, and yes it takes as long as that for the average driver to really get to drips with it.

Yes mate first job, I don’t mind heavy work as I consider myself a grafter, I understand your thoughts on new drivers coming into this work blind but here in N.Ireland driving jobs are not as plentiful as the mainland. The money is good as far as I know and it’s 4 on 4 off tramping.

Tucker9037:
Yes mate first job, I don’t mind heavy work as I consider myself a grafter, I understand your thoughts on new drivers coming into this work blind but here in N.Ireland driving jobs are not as plentiful as the mainland. The money is good as far as I know and it’s 4 on 4 off tramping.

Crack on, Drive! :stuck_out_tongue:

Tucker9037:

That for Woodsides??
They seem to advertise for “cross channel” car transport drivers on a VERY regular basis!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Northern Ireland, so chances are it will be a long wheelbase prime mover with similar sized trailer, say 5 on prime mover and 4 or 5 on trailer, that will be a lot better than the typical 11 car carriers used on the mainland, simpler and much more stable.

Nothing wrong with having a go mate, good luck with it.

Woodsides??, they arn’t still using 3 deck artic semi trailers with a peak over the cab are they? Baptism of fire :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Getting ■■■■■■ wet through with rain in the winter or sweat in the summer, and never drying out, is one measure of whether you’ll stick it - falling off the ■■■■ thing is another! :blush:

Think coming off Birkenhead boat 0630 Fri morn then having to multidrop said 11cars over NI then collect ANOTHER 11 for boat out Sun night is a killer for some drivers@ a guess!!![emoji52]

Money would be top dollar though.[emoji6]

Woodsides,
aye some yokes still have the “peak” out over the cab and been told sitting parked for hrs waiting on a fitter is part of the job!!!

Woodside run T&E 11+ and Lohr trucks. If you can get your head around what is a difficult and stressful job at first, the rewards can be the best in the business. But its not for everyone as its graft in all weathers and you never ever stop learning or being surprised by difficulties that the job throws up