Car Tax Renewal Online

not strictly trucking but still a legal question

i am thinking of buying my car tax on line as mine runs out at the end of this month.

does anybody know that if i dont receive it in time to put it in the car for work monday would i be able to drive it without the disc in?

in theory i would be taxed as it will be on thier computer and as we all know big brother is all knowing. does anybody know if i can do this as i wont be able to pay for it until friday morning when i get paid, i know i would probably receive it on the monday (i wish) but i leave for work before the postie even gets his arse out of bed let alone delivers my bills and junk mail.

if you have proof i can do this then pleas let me know.

many thanks

Technically you can be done whilst driving for not displaying a valid RFL disc, MORE IMPORTANTLY it’s likely insurance won’t be valid either and it’s a great big bloddy excuse not to pay out should you be unfortunate to claim! Murphy’s law and all that.

just to add this has come up time and time again on the RAC forum and they won’t recover a vehicle that does not display a valid disc, there is, in law, no grace period either.

I have taxed all my vehicles on line since it started, there is a receipt you can print off when the transaction has gone through.

If you printed that and carried it in the car, then you would need a policeman whos parents were never married to do you for it.

As for the DVLA computer you will be registered on it as soon as the payment is accepted.

My RFL normally arrives within 2 days of applying

Strictly speaking the offence is ‘failing to display,’ as has been said previously. If you have the confirmation print that you have paid there shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve never had a problem with doing this in the past.

The insurance thing is down to the individual company. Your vehicle is taxed as you have paid, think if your insurance provider declares they won’t pay out simply because you haven’t received the disc, then it is time to find another insurance company. After all it’s the world of difference between paying and not displaying and not paying and not displaying.

geebee45:
Your vehicle is taxed as you have paid, think if your insurance provider declares they won’t pay out simply because you haven’t received the disc, then it is time to find another insurance company. After all it’s the world of difference between paying and not displaying and not paying and not displaying.

I would suggest that the query stems from a misinterpretation of the requirement that a vehicle be maintained in a ‘roadworthy’ condition.

“Roadworthy”, in this context, relates to the legalities imposed by the DfT and the Home Office, under the various Road Traffic Acts and Con & Use Regs, whereas the RFL is a form of ‘taxation’ payable to the Treasury. An Insurance Company would be hard pressed to ‘void’ a claim, providing the vehicle was properly insured, solely on the basis that, on that day, the individual had been working ‘on the black’, or that the sound system had been purchased from Frankfurt Airport (or any other) and should have been declared for VAT assessment when said items entered the Country.

:wink:

problem sorted, got mum to put it on her card and i will send her the dosh

35 years old and still asking for pocket money :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

I prefer to go to the Post Office and get mine. I don’t care if the queue is long, I’d like to keep the small ones open. :wink:

MADBAZ:
Technically you can be done whilst driving for not displaying a valid RFL disc, MORE IMPORTANTLY it’s likely insurance won’t be valid either and it’s a great big bloddy excuse not to pay out should you be unfortunate to claim! Murphy’s law and all that.

just to add this has come up time and time again on the RAC forum and they won’t recover a vehicle that does not display a valid disc, there is, in law, no grace period either.

You’ve got to bare in mind that, to get a valid tax disc, you have to prove you have valid insurance and an in date MOT.
These details are checked by the DVLA computer when you apply for your tax disc on-line.
I’m going to MOT my bike tomorrow.
As soon as I have that in my hand, I’ll return home and tax it.
As soon as that’s done, I’ll be going out for a run on it.

macplaxton:
I prefer to go to the Post Office and get mine. I don’t care if the queue is long, I’d like to keep the small ones open. :wink:

I normally share your thoughts. I just wish the post ofiice would stay open long enough for me to get there. I use the local village shops for bread, milk and the butchers. For some reason the Chemist and the Post Office still have half day closing :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:
I normally share your thoughts. I just wish the post ofiice would stay open long enough for me to get there. I use the local village shops for bread, milk and the butchers. For some reason the Chemist and the Post Office still have half day closing :open_mouth:

Does vary sub-post office to sub-post office, but I seem to remember that mine was open until 12.30pm on Saturdays. During the week they used to go on lunch between 1-2pm and half day Wednesday.