Car tax advice

Any advice welcomed!
Just bought a car and V5 was missing, but did have the 2nd page (new keepers suppliment V5C/2).

So I thought the right thing to do was send off a V62 to get a new registration certificate in my name. So I did. It said to send in the V5C/2 with that form. So I did.
I’m still waiting for that to come back, and right now have no V5 or V5/C2.

Now I need to tax the thing. Obviously I don’t have a renewal letter.According to this Tax your vehicle without a vehicle tax reminder - GOV.UK I need either the V5, or the V5C/2 or a completed V62 form. I don’t have the first yet, and I sent off the 2nd with the 3rd to DVLA already.

Had I known all this, I would have done tax first, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. So I’m left wondering what on earth I do now. I could do another V62 and pay £25 as I have no V5C/2 now. I could wait and hope the V5 turns up before end of month. Any other options I am missing?

Can’t believe they make it so hard to give them money…

ring the dvla and find out whats going on. your v5 might already be in the post. or the police could be planning to raid your house and tow away the stolen car :laughing:

qwakers:
ring the dvla and find out whats going on. your v5 might already be in the post. or the police could be planning to raid your house and tow away the stolen car :laughing:

LOL I know it isn’t stolen - no one in their right mind would steal this :wink:

Did you keep a reference of the document number on the v5 ?
You used to be able to check if a new v5 had been produced by searching if the car was taxed and entering the v5 doc number without the first digit (IIRR).
If it didn’t show up, a new v5 was on the way out.

Hiya…this new taxing thing comes in 1st october where you can only tax on line doesn’t it.
if your tax is due in October i think you register and tax online…oh god help us all please

3300John:
Hiya…this new taxing thing comes in 1st october where you can only tax on line doesn’t it.
if your tax is due in October i think you register and tax online…oh god help us all please

you can still tax at post offices as well.
or via phone to DVLA , (god help you), ,
You just won’t get a disc…

3300John:

Don’t be silly :unamused: some of the coffin dodgers have a hard time driving a car so how the hell would thy manage with tinternet :unamused:

Depends how long ago you did this I just bought a bike sent off the form took about 2 weeks to get in into my name

I know if i sell a car i get the buyer to fill out the v5 with there name and address and sign the form, i give them the new keepers part and i post the v5 to dvla and in a couple of weeks the new owner should get a v5 with there name on it.

You can still buy your car tax at the post office and pay there only diffrence is you wont get a tax disc

Another interesting point is when selling or buying another vehicle even if it is taxed, it doesnt transfer, DVLA thought it a good idea to make each owner responsible, but i do believe that a refund is still possible for complete months left of the taxed vehicle.

truckyboy:
Another interesting point is when selling or buying another vehicle even if it is taxed, it doesnt transfer, DVLA thought it a good idea to make each owner responsible, but i do believe that a refund is still possible for complete months left of the taxed vehicle.

Correct,
and its a win win for DVLA ,
get paid for month that is a part of and not refundable - plus - get paid same month by new keeper for taxing at beginning of current month.
Ker-ching ker-ching.

Well, just got off the phone to DVLA and this is all rather unbelievable. They received my application for V5 a week ago. They won’t be processing it until October 8th. Tax runs out on 30th September.
They have no process to tax it until 8th October and told me to keep it off road until then!
They said I can’t do it at a post office because I’m not the keeper on record.

So the official answer (and I spoke to supervisor as well as muppet) is to phone them on 8th and check it has gone through, then they can take card details and tax it. In the meantime I can’t legally drive it. Great isn’t it!