Car Satnav in Truck

switchlogic:
I put all these ‘I check routes on a map’ first comments in same category as ‘pic was taken by a passenger’ when someone gets pulled up for taking pics while driving, with a giant pinch of salt. Just admit it, most of you do what we all do, pop the postcode in the satnav and go.

Yeah ok, I’ll give you that Luke, I’ll rephrase what I said/meant…

I would never feel a 100% confident in a route if I didn’t have my truckers atlas to back up a route offered, once I’ve entered the route in I then look at the overview of the route, having traversed this country enough in the past with only a car nav I got into the habit of cross checking, nowadays though I’ll admit it’s more of a case of if ‘hmmm that don’t look/feel quite right’ that’s when I’ll then get the atlas out to put my mind at rest or to say “hah! see you dumb piece of technology, man still triumphs over machine… I know a slightly better route with uh, one less roundabout…” :blush:

If it’s a town/city destination then I’ll look at google maps/streetview to try and build a better picture of what I’m letting myself in for at the other end, but tbf most of my work now is regular existing customers and that’s limited in numbers due to working nights and many not accepting night time deliveries, so there’s always someone at the yard or end of a phone that 'll give me directions to a new (for me) drop, I do get thrown a curve ball now and then though especially if it’s quiet and I end up doing other work that’s mainly when the satnav gets used by me now.

aposhark:
Every collection and delivery is time-critical and there is just enough time to do the coupling up and daily walkaround checks, put the postcode in the satnav and
go. Sometimes we get phone calls to ask why we were delayed leaving.

Thankfully I don’t suffer that, I work nights which means no management hounding you, I also work at a satellite depot not the head office depot, so as long as the job gets done and the trucks still in one piece you’re left to it, we do on occasion if our regular work is quiet do traction for one of the big SM chains, but even then as an outside contractor and it being nights it’s all very relaxed and hassle free.

switchlogic:
I put all these ‘I check routes on a map’ first comments in same category as ‘pic was taken by a passenger’ when someone gets pulled up for taking pics while driving, with a giant pinch of salt. Just admit it, most of you do what we all do, pop the postcode in the satnav and go.

I’m just going to put my hand up here and say “I’m the exception”. Technically it should be “we’re” because most of us at our yard do it. We’re forever discussing closures, warning other drivers which bits, where and how to get round. Not all sat navs show you diversions, and I’ve had more than one phone call off someone who’s blindly followed it (sat nav) only to get lost and need old skool directions.

Is it ok to use a truck nav in my car

malcolmgbell:

You jest but most truck satnavs have truck or car options, my Aponia truck nav app even has pedestrian and… helicopter! :open_mouth:

malcolmgbell:

Now your being silly :smiley:

I was very much in the ‘truck satnavs are a waste of money’ camp and probably still would be and would still be using Google Maps as my main navigation app were it not for TomTom giving me a free free Satnav 6250 Professional last year in return for some promotion. It’s far from perfect (slowest gadget I’ve ever used!) but for is basic job of avoiding places i shouldnt be it is fantastic. Whereas once I’d encounter several weight limits a week getting in my way, especially in Italy, now it almost never happens. Truck nav all the way for me from now on

switchlogic:
TomTom giving me a free free Satnav 6250 Professional last year in return for some promotion. It’s far from perfect (slowest gadget I’ve ever used!)

Just a heads up here…you should maybe have a re.think on your promotional techniques Luke…, just saying. :laughing: :wink:

''I may be interested, is that the latest one, and how much is it please?? "

(There you go, I’ve fed you a line, and set you back on the right track. :sunglasses: :smiley: )

switchlogic:
I was very much in the ‘truck satnavs are a waste of money’ camp and probably still would be and would still be using Google Maps as my main navigation app were it not for TomTom giving me a free free Satnav 6250 Professional last year in return for some promotion. It’s far from perfect (slowest gadget I’ve ever used!) but for is basic job of avoiding places i shouldnt be it is fantastic. Whereas once I’d encounter several weight limits a week getting in my way, especially in Italy, now it almost never happens. Truck nav all the way for me from now on

An honest review! How refreshing! :smiley:

Italian weight limits…

Pretty much anything that comes off the autovia :smiley:

robroy:

switchlogic:
TomTom giving me a free free Satnav 6250 Professional last year in return for some promotion. It’s far from perfect (slowest gadget I’ve ever used!)

Just a heads up here…you should maybe have a re.think on your promotional techniques Luke…, just saying. :laughing: :wink:

''I may be interested, is that the latest one, and how much is it please?? "

(There you go, I’ve fed you a line, and set you back on the right track. :sunglasses: :smiley: )

I long ago fulfilled my promotional obligations to TomTom. You could buy a Snooper or a Garmin (or a random Chinese affair) for all I care now :wink:

switchlogic:
(slowest gadget I’ve ever used!)

Now this I’ll agree with wholeheartedly, damned frustrating how slow it is at times :imp:

But other than that it’s not led me wrong even with all the sudden and regular night time road closures.

Reef:

switchlogic:

Now this I’ll agree with wholeheartedly, damned frustrating how slow it is at times :imp:

But other than that it’s not led me wrong even with all the sudden and regular night time road closures.

I hated the bloody thing at first for this but after its constant perfect routing it’s something I’ve learned to put up with. To be honest I’d much rather have it this way than it be fast but lead me down poor routes

switchlogic:

Reef:

switchlogic:

I hated the bloody thing at first for this but after its constant perfect routing it’s something I’ve learned to put up with. To be honest I’d much rather have it this way than it be fast but lead me down poor routes

Oh yes, definitely! I thought I’d made a huge error buying it at first, I was dreading telling the Wife that so I just put up and shut up, I think it’s redeemed itself completely now though (The Tomtom that is not the Wife, juries still out on her :smiley:)

switchlogic:

AndrewG:
^^^
Nothing will ever replace a paper map though. Navs are ok to a point but have the thing burn up/battery wont charge ect and you could be in central europe somewhere not having a clue where you are. Signs/place names ect would all be ignored in favour of watching/listening to the nav.
The driving test should be in favour of map reading not using a satnav. Not really sure how anyone could be ‘taught’ how to use one, stick it to the screen, switch it on and away you go :confused:

A satnav is a map. A street level map of the whole of the continent. Everyone seems to forget that. I’ve not carried a single paper map for over a decade and don’t see me ever carrying one again, what’s the point when I’ve access to Street level maps of the entire planet on my phone/tablet/satnav etc?

A sat nav is NOT a map, its a handy tool to aid navigation but thats all it is. I dont know how experienced you are but ive been doing europe a long time and from memory know most major routes and could steer myself out of too much trouble without either but more detailed routes i couldnt…relying on just a nav is a no no. A circuit/chip in the nav breaking down and no matter how experienced any driver is inc myself and youred be pretty much stuffed without map back up. Driving across europe without a road atlas as a back up is asking for problems…

robroy:

switchlogic:

I must be the exception to your rule then Luke. :smiley:
I’ll leave with up to 12 drops on, mostly farms on ‘b’ or unclassified roads, (or sheeptracks :unamused: :smiley: ) and I’ll either check all drop routes night before when parked up, or before each drop for bridges etc.
So best increase your salt intake bud. :smiley:

^^^^^
And this…
Checking your route beforehand on a map rather than just punching a post code in is just plain common sense…

AndrewG:

switchlogic:

AndrewG:
^^^
Nothing will ever replace a paper map though. Navs are ok to a point but have the thing burn up/battery wont charge ect and you could be in central europe somewhere not having a clue where you are. Signs/place names ect would all be ignored in favour of watching/listening to the nav.
The driving test should be in favour of map reading not using a satnav. Not really sure how anyone could be ‘taught’ how to use one, stick it to the screen, switch it on and away you go :confused:

A satnav is a map. A street level map of the whole of the continent. Everyone seems to forget that. I’ve not carried a single paper map for over a decade and don’t see me ever carrying one again, what’s the point when I’ve access to Street level maps of the entire planet on my phone/tablet/satnav etc?

A sat nav is NOT a map, its a handy tool to aid navigation but thats all it is. I dont know how experienced you are but ive been doing europe a long time and from memory know most major routes and could steer myself out of too much trouble without either but more detailed routes i couldnt…relying on just a nav is a no no. A circuit/chip in the nav breaking down and no matter how experienced any driver is inc myself and youred be pretty much stuffed without map back up. Driving across europe without a road atlas as a back up is asking for problems…

Errr, is really is very obviously is a map. Not sure how you can argue it isn’t. Street level maps of the whole continent. I’ve been driving for a living for 20 years and I do have back up, if my Satnav doesn’t work I’ve Google Maps on my phone, if my phone didn’t work Google Maps on my iPad. And Google Maps is better than any physical map money can buy, though no doubt next you’ll be claiming they aren’t maps…

switchlogic:
Errr, is really is very obviously is a map. Not sure how you can argue it isn’t. Street level maps of the whole continent. I’ve been driving for a living for 20 years and I do have back up, if my Satnav doesn’t work I’ve Google Maps on my phone, if my phone didn’t work Google Maps on my iPad. And Google Maps is better than any physical map money can buy, though no doubt next you’ll be claiming they aren’t maps…

Whilst the advantages of having all your maps in a 6 inch by 3 inch box are obvious, there are pitfalls to an over reliance on technology. Software glitches, battery failure or even dropping the thing will screw you over. All of your plan b’s are also susceptible to tech failure but with the added issue of needing a phone signal.

I sort of miss the paper maps days as I always knew where I was and remembered regular drops quicker but the convenience of a sat nav for multi drop work makes getting round them quicker. I do have a Philips trucker atlas and wouldn’t leave the yard without it though. I’ve had truck dedicated sat navs for many years which has made me lazy. ‘My’ new truck got spec’d with sat nav which is proving pretty good, better than the crappy tomtom trucker anyway and I don’t have to have it cluttering up the windscreen or the dash mount I used to have [emoji4]

robroy:

Beetlejuice:
£300 is nothing in the scheme of things ,Especially for new lads/ladies just starting out .

Imo.it’s the worst thing a new driver can buy.
How is he going to actually LEARN how to do the job properly if a thing stuck to his windscreen is telling him absolutely every little thing to do from spoon feeding to when to wipe his own arse.
I’ve seen me even with my experience use a sat nav to get somewhere (after checking of course),and could I hell give anybody any directions afterwards, and that is just a basic car sat nav.
This is why we have so many terminally crap and pathetic truck ‘‘drivers’’ today…, initiative is a redundant concept. :bulb:

That makes sense if the driver can stop and take the time to look at road maps.
Lots of runs are so time-critical and some jobs don’t allow the driver to stop - Hermes and DPD don’t allow the drivers to stop when the trailer has parcels on for example.

Captain Caveman 76:

switchlogic:

Whilst the advantages of having all your maps in a 6 inch by 3 inch box are obvious, there are pitfalls to an over reliance on technology. Software glitches, battery failure or even dropping the thing will screw you over. All of your plan b’s are also susceptible to tech failure but with the added issue of needing a phone signal.

The chances of all my electronic gadgets going down at once are probably on a par with the chances of your paper map spontaneously combusting. P.s I have downloaded maps on all three devices so I’m not reliant on a phone signal. Besides, people talk as if paper maps are as rare as hens teeth. If all my gadgets went down I’d only have to walk into the nearest fuel sation and buy one, they really aren’t hard to find.