Car Satnav in Truck

Reef:

Beetlejuice:
I would not take the risk of a car sat nav .For a few quid more you can be confident of a truck nav system.Its less stressful .paper maps as said above are ok ,But time consuming .And good fire starters.

Very true, people say “£300!!! Stuff that price for a satnav” but you can readily pick up cheaper alternatives for around the £60 mark

Yes i don’t understand that about costs with all the other added stresses in this game ,£300 is nothing in the scheme of things ,Especially for new lads/ladies just starting out .
I have a very good spare £30 xgody ,
I am not saying the cheap ones are brilliant, but they are worth a look for peace of mind ,And are better than maps or car navs .My one has never let me down on weights or height ,and the warning is better than my new tom tom 6250’s …
:grimacing:

Beetlejuice:

Reef:

Beetlejuice:
I would not take the risk of a car sat nav .For a few quid more you can be confident of a truck nav system.Its less stressful .paper maps as said above are ok ,But time consuming .And good fire starters.

Very true, people say “£300!!! Stuff that price for a satnav” but you can readily pick up cheaper alternatives for around the £60 mark

Yes i don’t understand that about costs with all the other added stresses in this game ,£300 is nothing in the scheme of things ,Especially for new lads/ladies just starting out .
I have a very good spare £30 xgody ,
I am not saying the cheap ones are brilliant, but they are worth a look for peace of mind ,And are better than maps or car navs .My one has never let me down on weights or height ,and the warning is better than my new tom tom 6250’s …
:grimacing:

Doesn’t matter how much you spend on your sat nav/atlas if you’re not looking out the window.

I think eventually we will have to give in to the sat nav, they are now looking to introduce it as part of your car test and test whether you can operate and take directions from a sat nav, so trucks won’t be too far away…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^
Nothing will ever replace a paper map though. Navs are ok to a point but have the thing burn up/battery wont charge ect and you could be in central europe somewhere not having a clue where you are. Signs/place names ect would all be ignored in favour of watching/listening to the nav.
The driving test should be in favour of map reading not using a satnav. Not really sure how anyone could be ‘taught’ how to use one, stick it to the screen, switch it on and away you go :confused:

sammym:

Harry Monk:

aposhark:
Another driver told me last week that car satnavs in trucks are against the law now - He said they must be truck satnavs where height and weight can be put in.
Is this true?

I know that driver- he told me that if you don’t wind your landing legs all the way up, VOSA fine you £30 for each turn of the handle. :stuck_out_tongue:

When I did my class 1 training I was told it was £60 per complete turn.

Pulled a trailer for Royal Mail that had buttons to wind the legs up and down. How much would VOSA fine you then?

robroy:

aposhark:
Another driver told me last week that car satnavs in trucks are against the law now - He said they must be truck satnavs where height and weight can be put in.
Is this true?

That law would only come about if drivers were so embarrassingly feckless, not to mention stupid enough, as to totally rely on a sat nav,.rather than use it as a guide…oh hang on a minute. :unamused: :neutral_face:

If that law does actually come in,.I’ll be.going back to old school maps only.
There is no way in hell I’m forking out over 300 quid for a piece of plastic tat. :open_mouth:

After saying that, I probably wouldn’t bother even if they were cheaper,.I (as many others) manage fine thanks, with car sat nav backed up with bridge map…oh yeh and a bit of common sense. :bulb:

I work at a large DC and there must be 100 or so drivers leaving every day, many on new routes.
I have never seen even one driver look at a road atlas.
Every collection and delivery is time-critical and there is just enough time to do the coupling up and daily walkaround checks, put the postcode in the satnav and
go. Sometimes we get phone calls to ask why we were delayed leaving.
We get printed maps for every route and those in conjunction with a satnav seems sufficient.

Reef:
people say “£300!!! Stuff that price for a satnav” but you can readily pick up cheaper alternatives for around the £60 mark

Save the expense & spend your money on whiskey, cigars and wild wimmin’

AndrewG:
^^^
Nothing will ever replace a paper map though. Navs are ok to a point but have the thing burn up/battery wont charge ect and you could be in central europe somewhere not having a clue where you are. Signs/place names ect would all be ignored in favour of watching/listening to the nav.
The driving test should be in favour of map reading not using a satnav. Not really sure how anyone could be ‘taught’ how to use one, stick it to the screen, switch it on and away you go :confused:

A satnav is a map. A street level map of the whole of the continent. Everyone seems to forget that. I’ve not carried a single paper map for over a decade and don’t see me ever carrying one again, what’s the point when I’ve access to Street level maps of the entire planet on my phone/tablet/satnav etc?

Beetlejuice:
£300 is nothing in the scheme of things ,Especially for new lads/ladies just starting out .

Imo.it’s the worst thing a new driver can buy.
How is he going to actually LEARN how to do the job properly if a thing stuck to his windscreen is telling him absolutely every little thing to do from spoon feeding to when to wipe his own arse.
I’ve seen me even with my experience use a sat nav to get somewhere (after checking of course),and could I hell give anybody any directions afterwards, and that is just a basic car sat nav.
This is why we have so many terminally crap and pathetic truck ‘‘drivers’’ today…, initiative is a redundant concept. :bulb:

aposhark:

robroy:

aposhark:
Is this true?

That law would only come about if drivers were so embarrassingly feckless, not to mention stupid enough, as to totally rely on a sat nav,.rather than use it as a guide…oh hang on a minute. :unamused: :neutral_face:

If that law does actually come in,.I’ll be.going back to old school maps only.
There is no way in hell I’m forking out over 300 quid for a piece of plastic tat. :open_mouth:

After saying that, I probably wouldn’t bother even if they were cheaper,.I (as many others) manage fine thanks, with car sat nav backed up with bridge map…oh yeh and a bit of common sense. :bulb:

I work at a large DC and there must be 100 or so drivers leaving every day, many on new routes.
I have never seen even one driver look at a road atlas.
Every collection and delivery is time-critical and there is just enough time to do the coupling up and daily walkaround checks, put the postcode in the satnav and
go. Sometimes we get phone calls to ask why we were delayed leaving.
We get printed maps for every route and those in conjunction with a satnav seems sufficient.

That is where the bigger problem lies mate, nowt to do with sat nav type, and/or maps,… but ALL to do with micro second planning with no allowances, done by inept incompetent planners. :bulb:
Combined with drivers putting up with being pushed and hassled on the phone when the inevitable happens, …but worse by actually allowing these planners to do it to them with no resistance. :bulb: :unamused:

I put all these ‘I check routes on a map’ first comments in same category as ‘pic was taken by a passenger’ when someone gets pulled up for taking pics while driving, with a giant pinch of salt. Just admit it, most of you do what we all do, pop the postcode in the satnav and go.

robroy:

Beetlejuice:
£300 is nothing in the scheme of things ,Especially for new lads/ladies just starting out .

How is he going to actually LEARN how to do the job properly if a thing stuck to his windscreen is telling him absolutely every little thing to do from spoon feeding to when to wipe his own arse.
I’ve seen me even with my experience use a sat nav to get somewhere (after checking of course),and could I hell give anybody any directions afterwards, and that is just a basic car sat nav.
This is why we have so many terminally crap and pathetic truck ‘‘drivers’’ today…, initiative is a redundant concept. :bulb:

Quite frankly most new truck drivers are experienced car or van drivers ,who are not as wet behind the ears as you may think they are :grimacing:

Why would you think a sat nav would not help lower the stress of low bridges ,Narrow lanes or weight restrictions?Especially for a new 44 tonne artic driver ?
Would you say that pulling up before a low bridge tripeing there pants looking at a map is better ?
Come on ,You cannot justify not using one these days .
And you cannot put all bad drivers in that catagory ,I trained at a centre one guy failed 6 times and the trainers even asked him to reconsider doing it as it is not forevery one .He carried on and eventually passed the test ,My instructor told me he was useless …That is the type that gets through "some greedy trainers "then cause the problems ,Not all newbs are glued to satnavs bashing bridges …

switchlogic:
I put all these ‘I check routes on a map’ first comments in same category as ‘pic was taken by a passenger’ when someone gets pulled up for taking pics while driving, with a giant pinch of salt. Just admit it, most of you do what we all do, pop the postcode in the satnav and go.

I must be the exception to your rule then Luke. :smiley:
I’ll leave with up to 12 drops on, mostly farms on ‘b’ or unclassified roads, (or sheeptracks :unamused: :smiley: ) and I’ll either check all drop routes night before when parked up, or before each drop for bridges etc.
So best increase your salt intake bud. :smiley:

robroy:

switchlogic:

I’ll leave with up to 12 drops on, mostly farms on ‘b’ or unclassified roads, (or sheeptracks :unamused: :smiley: ) and I’ll either check all drop routes night before when parked up, or before each drop for bridges etc.

Do you add those map planning times on as manual entries ?As that is working time :grimacing:

Edit :- Sorry I re-read it ,You plan at the end of the shift for the next day … :sunglasses:
Sod that i just bang a post code in my sat nav.I do have google earth aswell its brilliant for tight yards .You cannot get that on a paper map .

Beetlejuice:

robroy:

Beetlejuice:

Quite frankly most new truck drivers are experienced car or van drivers ,who are not as wet behind the ears as you may think they are :grimacing:

Why would you think a sat nav would not help lower the stress of low bridges ,Narrow lanes or weight restrictions?Especially for a new 44 tonne artic driver ?
Would you say that pulling up before a low bridge tripeing there pants looking at a map is better ?
And you cannot put all bad drivers in that catagory ,I trained at a centre one guy failed 6 times and the trainers even asked him to reconsider doing itas it is not forevery one .That is the type that gets through "greedy trainers "then cause the problems ,Not all newbs are glued to satnavs bashing bridges …

Ok bud, that’s your opinion but not mine.
Just one point, I didn’t advocate getting to the ■■■■■■■■ your kecks distance to a bridge did I.
I still stick to it that if new drivers were not spoon fed, they would learn the job faster, and become more efficient competent drivers.
How many times do we hear the excuse ‘‘Sat nav sent me’’ or in local papers ‘‘Driver follows sat nav’’ after an epic balls up.

robroy:

switchlogic:

So what does the paper map show you that the digital map doesnt? Also have you considered the Ordnance Survey app? One of the best I’ve ever used and for £20 a year you get access to Landranger & Pathfinder (1:50,000 & 1:25,000 scale) maps of the whole country.

robroy:

Beetlejuice:

robroy:

Beetlejuice:

And you cannot put all bad drivers in that catagory ,I trained at a centre one guy failed 6 times and the trainers even asked him to reconsider doing itas it is not forevery one .That is the type that gets through "greedy trainers "then cause the problems ,Not all newbs are glued to satnavs bashing bridges …

Ok bud, that’s your opinion but not mine.
Just one point, I didn’t advocate getting to the ■■■■■■■■ your kecks distance to a bridge did I.
I still stick to it that if new drivers were not spoon fed, they would learn the job faster, and become more efficient competent drivers.
How many times do we hear the excuse ‘‘Sat nav sent me’’ or in local papers ‘‘Driver follows sat nav’’ after an epic balls up.

You mean the CAR sat nav sent me into the bridge crew ■■ Because a truck sat nav has never sent me wrong .I used an xgody for two years A crappy Chinese copy satnav and i still use it as spare after the phone and 6250 .
I am a recently passed driver with no problems and i have used a sat nav from day one .
Just saying like :wink:

switchlogic:

robroy:

switchlogic:

So what does the paper map show you that the digital map doesnt? Also have you considered the Ordnance Survey app? One of the best I’ve ever used and for £20 a year you get access to Landranger & Pathfinder (1:50,000 & 1:25,000 scale) maps of the whole country.

It boils down to what we are both used to I suppose.
I started when maps were a necessity,and I started supplementing with a car sat nav about 10 yrs ago, and just continued using both methods in conjunction.

Beetlejuice:
You mean the CAR sat nav sent me into the bridge crew ■■ Because a truck sat nav has never sent me wrong .I used an xgody for two years A crappy Chinese copy satnav and i still use it as spare after the phone and 6250 .
I am a recently passed driver with no problems and i have used a sat nav from day one .

I don’t belong to that crew though, so I can’t be a spokesman for them.
I don’t belong to them because I learned the job by using initiative and common sense as I said, that is why I get by successfully with a car sat nav rather than a designated truck one, not trying to be clever here, just telling it as it is.
Your way suits you, my way suits me. :bulb:

robroy:

Beetlejuice:

I don’t belong to that crew though, so I can’t be a spokesman for them.
I don’t belong to them because I learned the job by using initiative and common sense as I said, that is why I get by successfully with a car sat nav rather than a designated truck one, not trying to be clever here, just telling it as it is.
Your way suits you, my way suits me. :bulb:

Nobody said you were in that crew .Too much caffiene lad? :grimacing: