Car Renewal

Good evening folks, as the title states I’m looking to renew my car sometime next month as my car insurance is up in April. Just wondering if anyone could give help on what cars to look for/avoid.

ill be spending about £1200 so limited by choice. Ive been looking at Vauxhall vectras/astras and other cars similar. Most of those being above the 100k miles mark. I’m looking for a car that will be able to do about 15,000 miles and not have many issues throughout the year and quite good on fuel.

any advice would be grand as this will be my first car :slight_smile:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

A bit of a scrambled post there, jt. You start by saying you will be renewing your existing car, and finish by stating that itll be your first car. Im sure you`ll clarify.

Ive seen immaculate Vectras in your price range only carrying 40-50k with full history. Also in your price range, Skoda Octavia - dull to look at but built like a tank and notably reliable (VW). Cabbies clock up 200-300k mls in these beasts regularly. If you want a good bargain, you gotta put the groundwork in and start looking early! I would always lean towards the private seller. ebay, gumtree, autotrader to start with should keep you pretty busy (there are many others). Do try to avoid forecourts/Arthur Daleys, though - true value for money is rarely, if ever, to be found there.

■■■■■■■:
A bit of a scrambled post there, jt. You start by saying you will be renewing your existing car, and finish by stating that itll be your first car. Im sure you`ll clarify.

Ive seen immaculate Vectras in your price range only carrying 40-50k with full history. Also in your price range, Skoda Octavia - dull to look at but built like a tank and notably reliable (VW). Cabbies clock up 200-300k mls in these beasts regularly. If you want a good bargain, you gotta put the groundwork in and start looking early! I would always lean towards the private seller. ebay, gumtree, autotrader to start with should keep you pretty busy (there are many others). Do try to avoid forecourts/Arthur Daleys, though - true value for money is rarely, if ever, to be found there.

I’ve been driving my mums car for the past year but its classesd as my car as mum never sees it :laughing: but its not my own car if you get what i mean? My name isn’t on the books :slight_smile: I should have put that in the OP :slight_smile: and I’ve been looking at skodas as a lot of the taxi firms around here seem to use them.

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Hate to be the old **** here! but check on insurance groupings etc if it is your first car

Skoda Fabia is group 1 insurance. If you drive a lorry for a living it will stand doing nothing for long periods so put a top class battery on it.
I have a Mk3 Mondeo diesel. You can pick them up cheap but watch the mileage cos the flywheel, clutch, starter motor and injectors cost a bomb - I do less than 3k miles a year and at 9years old mine has done under 50k, so it’s horses for courses. A good service history is a must. Beware of the history provided by a “mate with a garage”. It might be good so check it out. Also consider a “classic”. Something like a Morris Traveller that you can work on and enjoy. My father had one with twin carbs etc. and would do 0 to 60 faster than a jag and would carry a wardrobe.
With £1200 to spend you should get what YOU want just be patient and enjoy using your Mum’s till the right one comes along.
Hope this helps. Jim.

For that money you will be able to pick up a decent car with years of life left in it. Take your time and someone with mechanical knowledge along with you if you can. You can eliminate many by asking a few pertinent questions on the phone before making a wasted journey. Beware traders posing as ordinary sellers.

Very reliable Peugot 306 Diesel.Go fast.
Or a Nissan Micra.

Avoid anything with a HDI engine below 1.8.

I’d look at a Betlingo or Vectra or Astra.

Ford Fiesta are a good reliable little car.