Car ,not truck but what happens here

18th august-car garage commes out to access damage to car/deem it unrepairable
27th august- insurers assesor commes out and agrees with garage cars unrepairable/agrrees value with me, tells me he will put this forward, arrange for car to be taken away as once he scraps it off i cant use it.
2nd sept-car uplifted/taken away
4 sept -put dep on new car
4 sept-ring ins to find out about pay out/log books etc as no contact from them, told when they locate car its being returned to me :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ,no reason, just being returned, now putting it with solicitor 1st thing mon morn,
BUT
what i want to know is ins assesor said once he put car as writeoff[he intimated on mon 30 th aug] i couldnt use car again, so subject to what solicitor say, and the car does reappear CAN I STILL USE THAT CAR IF ITS REGISTERED AS WRITEOFF, CAN THEY TAKE WRITEOFF CAR SO WHEN IT RETURNS I CAN USE IT.
I KNOW HOPEFULLY SOLICITOR WILL TELL ME THIS SOON AS I SEE HIM, BUT CAR GARAGE WANT TO KNOW A.S.A.P IF I WANT CAR I PUT DEPOSIT ON OR NOT
TA

If they are returning it, why arn’t they repairing it first? Or is there a fair bit more to it?

I found out earlier this year insurers even use “recycled” parts now, must be a credit crunch measure!

zippy!:
If they are returning it, why arn’t they repairing it first? Or is there a fair bit more to it?

I found out earlier this year insurers even use “recycled” parts now, must be a credit crunch measure!

all ive been told is its being returned[if in there words they can locate it],its not badly damaged,pefectly drivable, but i think the word is finacially not viable, not dear car.
they can send it back, solicitor can sort the ins and outs of that out, i just wonder if you can drive it if assesor wrote it off on 30 th of august as he said he was, also as im still not convinced it will come back,if it does ,when, what do i do with car ive bought, proceed, dont bother, how do i get to work
as for recycled that what assesor said he was looking at, 2nd hand door ,trim etc, using contractor instead of appointed garage[cheaper[i turned that idea down straight away[asked him if i agreed to 2 nd hand parts would my premium reduce next year],met by a wall of silence :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Financially not viable…sounds very much like written off to me. :wink:

You need to find out what damage catagory it has been classed at.
A simple check would be go Here and click on Vehicle Enquiry, enter in reg and make and you’ll see what the DVLA hold on it.
Look for Vehicle Identity Check marker against it, full explanation here.

Are they returning it fixed?

Surely it would either be written off or fixed and returned? Under what circumstances would you want a damaged car back? Only if they are refusing to honour the claim. Which is a bigger issue than the valuation of the repair.

And it won’t be written off until the insurer legally buys it off you and categorises it. The guy visiting your house doesn’t write the car off, that is just his professional opinion until the disposal contract is agreed between insurer and insured.