Car nicked off a transporter

was on my way to B&Q RDC in worksop this morning, as i passed the last lay-by before the A57 turn off, something odd caught my eye, a car transporter was parked for the night and on the road at the back of the trailer there were bricks stacked 2 or 3 high, they were level with the trailer and also there was at least 1 scaffold board there but that wasnt on the bricks when i seen it. now the trailer was fully loaded apart from 1 space on the bottom deck, at the very back, i am no expert on transporters but i am sure 1 car was stolen, i didnt get to look at what cars they were but they all looked brand new and no reg plates on.

on my way back, the transporter was still there but this time the driver was standing at the back of the trailer on the phone to someone and rubbing his head, he looked kind of stressed

anyone heard of brand new cars being robbed from transporters■■?

did anyone else see the transporter parked up this morning, i passed at around 6.30am

Surely the driver must have been gassed in his cab. No way could you be oblivious to 1.5 tonnes of metal being moved from your truck

ajt:
Surely the driver must have been gassed in his cab. No way could you be oblivious to 1.5 tonnes of metal being moved from your truck

When im a sleep you could nick the whole trailer, i sleep like a log :laughing:

ajt:

thats what i said to my mate at work who was following me, (not the gassed bit), he said maybe the driver was too scared to get out and didnt want to put himself at risk over a car. think thats the option i would take as well as there must have been a few people needed to nick the car

Couldn’t have been gassed because its been stated by many on here (those with inside knowledge) that it never ever happens, just an excuse for him selling it himself. :slight_smile:

you can’t nick a new car these days without the keys, so he should lock them up like the rest of us do.

A night in a lay by with an open load of brand new cars? Driver wants sacking, and if his nights out aren’t paid for then his company got what they deserved. I wouldn’t hear anything when I’m asleep to so I wouldn’t assume he’s in on it. But he is very stupid.

you can’t nick a new car these days without the keys, so he should lock them up like the rest of us do

How you think they get on and off the transporter with out giving too much away security wise lets just say it don’t take a genius to work out where they are

Generally they are back locked. i keep the last 2 car keys in the cab but if you want them just ask cos i aint gonna fight you for a lump of metal. even on services/truck stop non of us are safe. if the thieving scum bags want your load they will get it and i for one will not resist their advances on that score. if my firm want me to park in a secure safe parking area they should either provide one or make arrangements for me to park in one. I AM NOT a security person i am a truck driver who tries his best to take care of the load. “NO MORE NO LESS”
If the firm are to tight to pay for your load/truck to be protected then on their be it. (note i didn’t mention the protection of the driver cos we seem to be worth less than load/truck )

OllieNotts:
A night in a lay by with an open load of brand new cars? Driver wants sacking, and if his nights out aren’t paid for then his company got what they deserved. I wouldn’t hear anything when I’m asleep to so I wouldn’t assume he’s in on it. But he is very stupid.

His nights out are paid for but not his parking fees maybe, why sack him, he has to park somewhere and probably like most of us transporter drivers max our hours to earn a decent wage, so may be its the only place he could find. hope you never find yourself in that situation and dont say you never would cos you never know. :unamused:

An ARL Logistics driver had a trailer(3.5T) and car(207) stolen whislt
parked near Badgers Mount on a night out
The trailer was recovered when the new owner tried to get spares for it

OllieNotts:

A little harsh really?

Car transporter drivers need places to stop on a night out as well, and many services areas are a no-go for a loaded car transporter. If you tried to park an 18,75 metre drawbar transporter (+ overhanging cars front and rear) in a space designed for a 16.5 metre artic you would understand. Also, some drivers when manoevuring around the front of your vehicle see your cab but fail to notice the car overhanging the front at the top. I speak from personal experience!

The car transporter is open, as you state, but as long as the cars are locked and the keys aren’t left in them it’s not a problem. Although if, as stated, the driver was stood at the back of the truck scratching his head the morning after then I would imagine this was not the case. Unfortunately, this would be a P45 situation at most of the major firms, but then leaving the keys in a car parked on the back of a transporter is not very bright really…

hitch:
An ARL Logistics driver had a trailer(3.5T) and car(207) stolen whislt
parked near Badgers Mount on a night out
The trailer was recovered when the new owner tried to get spares for it

Bugger, you beat me to it lol

When we had new cars delivered at the dealership, they were missing a transporter fuse, so the only thing that worked was the engine.

If the vehicles had a PDI like they did at Wellesbourne they were ready to go with everything in them, mobile phones, insurance certificate and even taxed. A manual transmission would be fairly simple to pinch, an automatic without keys are much more difficult to release the park mechanism.

I mentioned on another post, we were paid 30 minutes at each end of the shift to check chocks & straps, set alarms and remove or replace keys. Something has gone wrong and someone sounds like they have deviated from company policy.

Well I didn’t mean to be harsh about ‘sack him’ however I’ve been trying to max hours/earnings and we have a choice if loaded with high value goods. Park in a lay by and risk losing your job cause of some thieving scum or pay to park somewhere with ‘a bit’ of security. If he’d been robbed in an msa or a truck stop he’s taken reasonable steps to protect the load and it shouldn’t come back on him. If he’s past a ‘secure parking’( don’t make me laugh) and parked in a lay by for an extra 10 quid he runs the risk of this. It shouldn’t even happen :imp: poor sod, but at the end of the day if he chose to park there and wasn’t forced or authorised then he’ll be looking at his P45 next week :frowning:
Feel sorry for him it’s ■■■■ I hope he doesn’t lose his job, afterall we are only doing a job.

Sorry Ollie, I have to disagree.

The driver was doing a job, no matter where he parked, as long as it’s legal.

The CRIME was committed by the THIEF, not the driver.

I hate all this crap off the police, make sure you lock your doors, don’t leave valuables on sight, don’t make it easy for criminals etc…
How about, get some decent police, give them the ability to do their jobs and make punishments fit the crimes, then see how the crime figures drop.
How can an elderly woman get longer in prison for not paying her council tax than a thief - like they’d ever catch a thief :unamused:

Someone tried to nick my bike a few weeks ago, police arrested them running away, woke me up at around midnight on the monday morning, kept me awake till half 1 monday morning with statements etc even though I’d told them I was in work at 4am, by dinner time, they’d phoned me to tell me the criminals had been released with no further action due to lack of evidence… So I end up driving a truck without any decent sleep, and the criminals get a bed for the night, a couple of meals, and are released in time to go to the market and get a bus home :imp:

OllieNotts:
Well I didn’t mean to be harsh about ‘sack him’ however I’ve been trying to max hours/earnings and we have a choice if loaded with high value goods. Park in a lay by and risk losing your job cause of some thieving scum or pay to park somewhere with ‘a bit’ of security. If he’d been robbed in an msa or a truck stop he’s taken reasonable steps to protect the load and it shouldn’t come back on him. If he’s past a ‘secure parking’( don’t make me laugh) and parked in a lay by for an extra 10 quid he runs the risk of this. It shouldn’t even happen :imp: poor sod, but at the end of the day if he chose to park there and wasn’t forced or authorised then he’ll be looking at his P45 next week :frowning:
Feel sorry for him it’s [zb] I hope he doesn’t lose his job, afterall we are only doing a job.

Do you have a list of these secure parking areas Ollie, because I do and they are a zb joke. Even in somewhere like Rugby, there are only about 7 places suitable for an 18+ metre transporter with low ground clearance.

We don’t know what make the car was, but it could have been stolen to order, maybe the thief only needed a new engine, gearbox or ECU, the rest will be fired

OllieNotts:

I think it’s scandalous, that some companies won’t stump up a few quid, for the occassional night out. :unamused:

Wheel Nut:

OllieNotts:
Feel sorry for him it’s [zb] I hope he doesn’t lose his job, afterall we are only doing a job.

Do you have a list of these secure parking areas Ollie, because I do and they are a zb joke. Even in somewhere like Rugby, there are only about 7 places suitable for an 18+ metre transporter with low ground clearance.

We don’t know what make the car was, but it could have been stolen to order, maybe the thief only needed a new engine, gearbox or ECU, the rest will be fired
[/quote
]

Agreed, but how lucky do you have to be to find the exact car you want, last car on the bottom deck? Don’t add up to me. As for secure parking he wasn’t far from Blyth services, yes I know its not secure as such but reasonable steps and all that. Theres been a police trailer warning of thefts in that area for some time now. I think as a driver if you park in a layby nowadays you have a good chance of something going missing, whether it be diesel or parts of the load! If prople stopped bying knock off goods then folks wouldn’t nick it! Of course this is only my opinion!

Did hear a tale once of a transporter driver who was delivering a new Audi or some such to a dealer. Chap comes out of the dealership in a suit and tie and says ‘hello drive, we were expecting this’, then engages the driver with a friendly bit of chat about new stock and business. He then signs the paperwork and takes the keys. It’s only then, as the ‘sales-man’ tears off up the road in the new car, do the real staff come ■■■■■■■ out of the dealer, shouting ‘why have you just given one of our cars to that bloke who was in here for a brochure!?’. :open_mouth: :blush: