Car insurance

Years a go I went fully comp for the first time, still got the same car now 10 years later, pmsl a couple of years ago when I was out of work and just hanging on to the car for interviews more than anything, got a quote from my insurers for tpft and also fully comp when the renewal time came round, the difference was £2!!! I told them that had to be a mistake as the difference should be more than they quoted, sure enough they amended the figures…tpft went up by £47.

Needless to say I’m with a different company, still fully comp and paid £60 less than my existing insurer. Maybe the original company thought a low risk area, 12 year old car and 23 years claim free record wasn’t worth their time and effort.

Have you got an older relative you can add as a named driver (just named, not the main driver)?, just adding my name to our sons’ insurances reduced the premiums for both of them.

Never tell the insurance company what you’ve been quoted elsewhere, rookie mistake!

You don’t receive individual quotes these days - one size fits all. I’ve been driving for over 30 years, no insurance claims ever! Cheap insurance? Not really - the only time you’ll find out how good they are is when you need to claim IMO! Is it a scam? Of course it is so just lie back and enjoy it!

Insurance companies are currently being investigated by the OFT over the cost of car insurance.
oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/markets-w … insurance/
Will things change? Who knows!

Gouls:
Years a go I went fully comp for the first time, still got the same car now 10 years later, pmsl a couple of years ago when I was out of work and just hanging on to the car for interviews more than anything, got a quote from my insurers for tpft and also fully comp when the renewal time came round, the difference was £2!!! I told them that had to be a mistake as the difference should be more than they quoted, sure enough they amended the figures…tpft went up by £47.

Needless to say I’m with a different company, still fully comp and paid £60 less than my existing insurer. Maybe the original company thought a low risk area, 12 year old car and 23 years claim free record wasn’t worth their time and effort.

I think the theory / stats, goes along the lines of, I you’re only insuring your car third party, then you’ll care less about your car and people who care less will be more likely to have a bump. Before anyone starts! That doesn’t mean everyone who insures third party is a reckless nutter.

It’s always worth checking fully comp on a cheap run about that you would normally only insure third party

How old is the car, if it’s over 15yrs old, try classic insurance.

Also, as others have said, add an older female as a named driver.

Just been on Confused and seen what the renewal quote for my car would be, £217.04, not bad for a group 14 car, and cheaper than Adelaide charged me, which was in turn half of the £600 which Admiral wanted to renew.

Years ago it was easy, I bought a Ford Anglia and insured it 3rd party for about 100 quid a year, they called it an open policy, if I changed the car just had to give them the new registration only. Sold the Anglia and bought a 7.6 litre Buik Wildcat, got pulled about 20 times, everytime insurance was checked and legal. Worthless and pointless post I know, but I couldn’t help myself. :blush:

I’m 17, live in Essex, passed my test first time recently and have been on a mission to find a decent quote. I have even tried being a named driver on W reg a 0.8 Daeweoo Matiz (just out of interest), the policy holder being an older female and having 15+ years no claims. = £7,600.

I am going to do the PassPlus scheme even though this is worthless these days, I just want to have it. My chances of being a lorry driver before I’m 30 are slim. :neutral_face:

Benni:
I’m 17, live in Essex, passed my test first time recently and have been on a mission to find a decent quote. I have even tried being a named driver on W reg a 0.8 Daeweoo Matiz (just out of interest), the policy holder being an older female and having 15+ years no claims. = £7,600.

I am going to do the PassPlus scheme even though this is worthless these days, I just want to have it. My chances of being a lorry driver before I’m 30 are slim. :neutral_face:

This is possibly due to the car being a higher insurance group than you would imagine… according to Parkers a Matiz of that age ranges between group 5 and group 9 :open_mouth:
parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/ca … back-1998/

Considering that a 2005 Vauxhall Astra Mk4 1.7CDTi is only a group 4, then the Matiz may not be your best choice.

The way in which we decided what sort of cars to buy for my children was to firstly find which cars had the lowest group, then pick a car that they liked off Autotrader, where you can check the group for each individual car under vehicle summary, and then do comparison quotes on that car…bearing in mind that the trim class can make a huge difference. eg L, LS, Ghia etc. Then we looked around for a particular make/model/trim…

Just a thought.

Mods. - please shorten the link for me…Thanks

Oh and sorry for hijacking the OP :slight_smile:

Also the Co-operative insurance also do car insurance for HGV drivers too.

thewheel:
Tried them all, tesco best so far but still way over 900 im a wagon driver not a lottery winner!

Tesco honoured the Pass plus course when my son needed insuring on his first car. The insurance cost me a lot of money but in fairness to them they paid nearly £300 back onto my card once he’d done the course & I’d posted his pass plus certificate to them.

You might do better going on Confused.com and running a comparison on there. Try putting the car as parked on the road & add some qualified drivers with a few years no claims & clean licences as named drivers. That’ll bring the premium down.

Once you run the comparison, put your number on there & they’ll soon start phoning you, ask them what discount they’l offer you for pass plus etc. Also phone any who are offering attractive quotes and ask them for discounts too. If you don’t ask you won’t get & too many people accept what’s on the screen without asking.

Good luck.

BB

Kate:
Considering that a 2005 Vauxhall Astra Mk4 1.7CDTi is only a group 4, then the Matiz may not be your best choice.

The way in which we decided what sort of cars to buy for my children was to firstly find which cars had the lowest group, then pick a car that they liked off Autotrader, where you can check the group for each individual car under vehicle summary, and then do comparison quotes on that car…bearing in mind that the trim class can make a huge difference. eg L, LS, Ghia etc. Then we looked around for a particular make/model/trim…

Kate is spot on. That’s what we did for ours too. Pick something that is not a common youngsters car as smaller aint necessarily cheaper. My daughter has just passed a couple of days ago. She’s driving the wifes Focus 1.6 (can’t remember the model but it’s all leather, alloys etc). As a learner for Me, Wife and her it was 700 fully comp, now she’s passed it’s 1150. :smiley:

i have just renewed by insurance £790 fully comp for a motor trade policy it was £690 year before but company went under for being to cheap i got 3 cars on policy at mo so its not to bad to justify it

I’m with swiftcover…2008 GS450h top spec Lexus fully comp full ncd insurance group 42 ( new insurance grouping is now 1-50) previously my car was a group 17… And I’m a mear £160… This is all down to the area I live in :smiley:

Well, la de da! :laughing:

7 and a half grand for a newly passed 17 year old does seem a tad steep though.

Ended up with adelaide 930 fully comp!!! I tried adding my mum but came up dearer. Hopefully in 12 month with a little bit of ncb it should come down.cheers for the replies

Nothing, but the greedyness of the British insurance companies. I’ve got hte same ridicolous quote for my son, who is 20. Cheaper,if I let him drive a cheap car and pay the fine,if the cops catch him… AVOID Aviva, they are not really good… :frowning:

Dennisthemenace:
Nothing, but the greedyness of the British insurance companies. I’ve got hte same ridicolous quote for my son, who is 20. Cheaper,if I let him drive a cheap car and pay the fine,if the cops catch him… AVOID Aviva, they are not really good… :frowning:

Yeah I don’t understand these people who get car insurance with Aviva - I have never found them at all competitive! I can only imagine their main client base is old people who dont bother to shop around each year.

For future reference Adrian Flux are good, as are Directline actually, in my expereince.

Kate:

Benni:

This is possibly due to the car being a higher insurance group than you would imagine… according to Parkers a Matiz of that age ranges between group 5 and group 9 :open_mouth:
parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/ca … back-1998/

Just a thought.

Mods. - please shorten the link for me…Thanks

Oh and sorry for hijacking the OP :slight_smile:

Also the Co-operative insurance also do car insurance for HGV drivers too.

I work for the co-op and i have just bought a 09 mondeo est. Got a quote from them (with 10% staff discount) £379.63. f/comp. Adelaide £176.34 with better benefits. :open_mouth: !!!