Car insurance.

For the last 3 years I have been running motorcycles to get me to and from work but a while back I bought an old 205 to replace it with.

I’m in the process of putting it on the road. And my latest hurdle is the insurance. Now it would appear that there is no way I can transfer the No Claims Discount from the m/cycle policy so it looks like I have to start from scratch to the tune of around £350. (the car only cost me £100)

So I got my thinking head on and came up with this, Now I don’t know if it will work but wondered if anyone else had tried it.

Our main family car is insured and registered in my own name. Also covered on the policy is cover to ‘drive any other vehicle not owned or hired to me’

So here’s what I’m thinking, re-register and give the 205 to the wife. This would mean that as I neither own the 205 or have it hired to me then my other cars insurance will cover me 3rd party to drive it.

But will the post office let me tax the car?

What do you reckon?

Marlow
You cant do that with insurance anymore because the 205 is only insured when you drive it so when you park up say in town and get out, the car is then uninsured

what you could try is to get the 205 insured as a 2nd car on the policy but there isnt many companys that will do this now

sorry
simon

I don’t think you’ll be able to tax it as you don’t have an insurance document with its registration.

Is you are canceling your bike insurance you should be able to transfer the no claims bonus. Try a different insurance company or local broker.

Insurance companies have got wise to the various schemes of driving cars in other peoples names and will look for evidence that you were the main driver if you made a claim. That evidence would be that your wife had no insurance for the car, so how could she be the main driver?

You could also try 3rd party onlt cover, no fire or theft?
Try a broker as the dial up and internet insurers are geared to newer family cars, so don’t always give good quotes to cheap bangers or sports cars.
You can also haggle with a broker.

Marlow a neighbour of mine has only been driving for over a year and she had an accident in the first year so she has no no claims bonus at all, she has a Nissan Micra and was quoted £450 for the year , but after a little bit of research i offered to add my name to her insurance i have full no claims and protected bonus so regarded as a good driver statistically, so after adding my name she now insures her car for £220 a year.

It might be worth your while getting someone with full no claims on your insurance as a named driver they never have to drive it but the insurance companies think it halves the chances of an accident, and as far as i am aware they wont lose their no claims if anything happens.

It also might be worth your while looking on here…

moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bi … 2631,54323,

Or here

forum.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi- … 1065274007

marlow:
Our main family car is insured and registered in my own name. Also covered on the policy is cover to ‘drive any other vehicle not owned or hired to me’

I think you will find that the “any other vehicle” has to have an insurance policy in place in its own right.

www.confused.com is a good comparative insurance quote engine.

Vince

not so vince, ive been buying bangers and not registering them for years cos they only sit in the yard for 3 to 6 weeks at a time
ive been pulled many times over the years and my fully comp on the family car has sufficed on every occasion
make sure that you see the “drive any other vehicle” in black and white and check the small print before you drive the second car, some policies have it on then annul it in the clauses in the small print

Just a note to the bikers out there. If you are using your bike to get you to and from work double check you are covered. Quite a few now read ‘social domestic and pleasure excluding commuting to and from a permanent place of employment’.

We have just found how beneficial it is to shop around every year. Our insurance renewal came up and we had just paid every year without looking at it. This year we noticed that the anual premium was over a grand :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
We called the broker who did a search and got our premium reduced by 40% :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: and get this :exclamation: it’s with the same company for exactly the same policy, we just cancelled and re joined :exclamation:

And they say you save a bunch of money by switching to Gieco Alex :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pat Hasler:
We have just found how beneficial it is to shop around every year.:

Oh, definately. They all give you a competetive quote to win your business, and then they sneak the rate up every year, by two or three times the rate of inflation, because they know that you are most likely too busy to phone around for quotes every time.

After a few years, you disover that you are payng hundreds more each year than you could be.

It`s the same with breakdown insurance, and me and Emma have a nicely established three year cycle going with AA/RAC/GreenFlag which sees us paying about a third of the amount a “loyal” customer would pay.

Vince