car insurance

its that dreaded time that i spend hours trying to get common sence out of tweenies. maybe i can get some answers here

1. do accidents /claims on fleet insurance count towards indeviduals private car insurance.
  2. how does one declare the accidents on the fleet insurance all websites ask for accidents on your current or previous policies
  3. do the companys have to provide you with the costs and weather or not it was a claim on the insurance
  4. if an accident occured but no insurance claim was made ie the lorry was repaired in house. does one declare it,

my previous company are saying that i dont need to declare any accident i had under thier insurance and are therefor unwilling to give me any details of cost or how it was settled. The car insurers want all details all though one company puts the cost down as 0 which has caused its own issues with the other companys

What i do is speak to the insurer direct and explain the situation to them, the calls are recorded.
The one incident i reported wasn’t my fault as confirmed by the all round camera system and there was no claim either way anyway, but the insurer could note it as reported which puts me on safe ground.

I know some here don’t report incidents they have in lorries to their own insurer, not a risk i’d be prepared to take.

This might turn out to be an entertainment type popcorn thread.

You may well get some answers telling you what you want to hear, but more than likely you will get advised everything under the sun.

The simplest way would be to ask the the prospective insurance company. They may tell you don’t bother putting it down or that you should but it won’t affect your premium by much. Or they may tell you something else, but there is only one way to find out.

To be honest I dont think theres many on here would declare Company insurance against your own private policy,I might be wrong,but its something I never did.

You have to inform your insurance company of any incident. Fault or non fault. Policy holder or named driver. Claim or no claim it matters not.
Any incident such as above reported reflects on policy cost or renewal.
Even a non fault claim is a black mark. You are considered more risk of being involved in a incident.

On a side note; Inform your insurance company of any incident, even if no damage or claim being made. A few years back I didn’t when someone kissed my back bumper in a car park.
No damage done. That didn’t stop the third party claiming £3,000 repairs to their car and £8,000 personal injury. And the loss of my no claims bonus.

does my ex company have to provide me with the costs of the claim

I am replacing my cmax because the gearbox or more specificaly the diff has exploded. my current insurer has all accidents both on my personal insurance and company insurance. the cmax is group 18 and am replacing it with a kia picanto which is group 2 yet they want more money for the picanto than the cmax. (they cant tell me why). Also if i ask them to quote me on a different cmax the same age and mileage they quote me more again they are unable to tell me why.

If i go to a different company they want to know the cost and settlement date which my ex company wont give me because they are under the imprestion i dont need to declare them.

I got rear ended while stationery. Claimed on the other guys insurance so did not need to inform my own insurance.

When renewal time came I did not tell my new insurer.
Now I am sure some guys on here will say I have to declare it but na I am not doing that.

When I went on comparethemarket it asked have I ever claimed on my insurance and I said no. It did not ask if another persons insurance paid me out.

adam277:
I got rear ended while stationery. Claimed on the other guys insurance so did not need to inform my own insurance.

Now I am sure some guys on here will say I have to declare it but na I am not doing that.

When I went on comparethemarket it asked have I ever claimed on my insurance and I said no. It did not ask if another persons insurance paid me out.

They know all key information from the details you enter. They know answers before asking questions. You sign in agreement that you’ve told the truth to questions asked for insurance to be valid. Who paid who, wouldn’t be a question. Has a claim been made would be.

I did a bit of digging, because I am sad like that (and also like to know these things). I couldn’t remember from the last time this was talked about on here.

There is a claims and underwriting exchange that insurers can access. They may or may not access this at the time of the policy starting. In the event of a significant claim they probably would. It is probably all about whether it is worth their time and effort in doing so. The information stays on it for 6 years after a claim was closed or after the incident which may have given rise to a claim was placed on it.

You can ask the the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) for the information held about you via a subject access form. That way you are in the picture.

Regards being asked for information about a claim made by a company, you would simply state that you reported the incident and complied with all internal procedures and your involvement finished on the day of the incident or soon after. You were not involved in subsequent procedures at the company you were working for at the time. You don’t know if a claim was made or not, you are just reporting the incident.

For some reason I had it in my mind that insurers could only search on registration for information, but this may not be correct. They must have to search on name, date of birth and address (name and date of birth don’t necessarily identify an individual). If the claim went in without your full home address they probably wouldn’t be able to pin an event on you (but could still investigate). The only real way to know what is on there is the MIB form to find out.

Edit: I notice the MIB form has a field for NI number. This may be another way to identify you and any claims. I don’t believe a company claim would include your NI number on a claim form, but you never know. They don’t have your NI number for that purpose, but for payroll purposes.

English driver 1970:
They know all key information from the details you enter. They know answers before asking questions. You sign in agreement that you’ve told the truth to questions asked for insurance to be valid. Who paid who, wouldn’t be a question. Has a claim been made would be.

Only one thing not overtly stated there, once they can show you’ve been less than honest, your insurance is invalidated

Zac_A:

English driver 1970:

Only one thing not overtly stated there, once they can show you’ve been less than honest, your insurance is invalidated

Yup and that’s you buggered for life for cheap insurance.
one of the main questions asked, to paraphrase : have ever been refused or had insurance cancelled?

Maybe if you’re leaving a trail of at fault destruction in your lorry driving wake they’ll understandably want to know just how bad a driver you are in cost terms but i’ve not yet had any follow up or cost questioning, just a case of speaking to a real person and getting any incidents noted on your file.
Not doing so could leave you open to claims which could bankrupt you or see you paying for life, though the insurer in most cases will honour any third party claims against you, there’s nothing to stop your insurer pursuing you through the courts, could mean selling your house car everything.

cooper1203:
its that dreaded time that i spend hours trying to get common sence out of tweenies. maybe i can get some answers here

1. do accidents /claims on fleet insurance count towards indeviduals private car insurance.

Yes and failure to declare them can result in your insurance being void or them refusing to pay out a claim. All claims are recorded on a central database, the Motor Insurance Database, all insurers have access to.

1. how does one declare the accidents on the fleet insurance all websites ask for accidents on your current or previous policies

At fault, not at fault etc.

1. if an accident occured but no insurance claim was made ie the lorry was repaired in house. does one declare it,

Whilst you should it’s unlikely they’d find out so it’s down to you.

adam277:

Let’s hope you don’t put in a claim or anyone else claim on your insurance. You don’t need to declare it for them to know, the accident is already recorded on the Motor Insurance Database which they’ll look at if you put in a claim. What they will do is look at that database and see you were involved in a claim, even though you weren’t at fault, look at the information you submitted where you said you’d not had an accident and use that as a reason to refuse your claim. If a third party puts in a claim they’re required to pay out but they can then sue you for the money they had to pay out.

A Bentley continental GT convertible flew up the sip road trying to get in front of me. Cameras showed what he tried to do. He never made a claim against the firm’s insurance but I mentioned it to my insurer as a non fault. I didn’t want to give them any wriggle room just in case I had to make a claim on my personal car insurance. Didn’t make any difference to the policy quote.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Conor:

adam277:

Let’s hope you don’t put in a claim or anyone else claim on your insurance. You don’t need to declare it for them to know, the accident is already recorded on the Motor Insurance Database which they’ll look at if you put in a claim. What they will do is look at that database and see you were involved in a claim, even though you weren’t at fault, look at the information you submitted where you said you’d not had an accident and use that as a reason to refuse your claim. If a third party puts in a claim they’re required to pay out but they can then sue you for the money they had to pay out.

In my defence it was more then 5 years ago now I think :stuck_out_tongue:
Maybe that makes a difference.

English driver 1970:
You have to inform your insurance company of any incident. Fault or non fault. Policy holder or named driver. Claim or no claim it matters not.

Also bearing in mind that with holding any type of information requested, which includes any incidents while driving a company vehicle, can invalidate the policy which means paying for a worthless policy that could leave the insured bankrupt for life after then being made personally responsible for any claim.