Car Insurance

Did there used to be an insurance man on this site?

The stepdaughters car insurance came through for renewal, I keep the paperwork for all the cars and house stuff.

So with 4 years no claims, same car, always in her name as main driver. Her renewal came in at a very favourable price. I went through the form with her and we agreed with the info they had on us.

What’s changed? Nothing except I married her mother who went from being a Widow to being Married again. The kids have kept their Dads name.

That single name thing has bumped up the insurance again over £100. :unamused:

These things wind me up, since getting married she has lost her widows pension.
I have lost part of my disability benefits as I cannot work and her daughter is living at home with a student loan while training to teach.

You can see why people tell fibs to authority figures.

It seems they will use any excuse to bang up the cost. I noticed a couple of years ago that I’m no longer covered to drive someone else’s car with their permission - that’s now available for £25 extra. Likewise, “commuting to or from a place of work” is no longer covered. If you can be bothered to sift through page after page of terms and conditions you will no doubt find others. A change of circumstances or vehicle mid-term usually incurs a hefty admin charge as well. My friend’s son had a crash last autumn and his insurance company were refusing to pay his claim because he didn’t report the accident within 24 hours. He was in hospital, under observation for possible concussion, his phone was still in the wreckage and the police had been at the scene of the accident. The accident happened in the early hours of a Sunday morning, and his dad rang the insurance company on Sunday morning, getting a recorded massage that the office was closed and to call again during office hours on Monday. It took several calls to a solicitor to get the claim paid.

fodenway:
It seems they will use any excuse to bang up the cost. I noticed a couple of years ago that I’m no longer covered to drive someone else’s car with their permission - that’s now available for £25 extra. Likewise, “commuting to or from a place of work” is no longer covered. If you can be bothered to sift through page after page of terms and conditions you will no doubt find others. A change of circumstances or vehicle mid-term usually incurs a hefty admin charge as well. My friend’s son had a crash last autumn and his insurance company were refusing to pay his claim because he didn’t report the accident within 24 hours. He was in hospital, under observation for possible concussion, his phone was still in the wreckage and the police had been at the scene of the accident. The accident happened in the early hours of a Sunday morning, and his dad rang the insurance company on Sunday morning, getting a recorded massage that the office was closed and to call again during office hours on Monday. It took several calls to a solicitor to get the claim paid.

This is the type of service you receive when you go for the very cheapest the comparison sites produce, not saying you should pay over the odds but you might get better service is you go up the price range until you find a decent known company.
Never had any such issues re admin fees, if the annual increase is only a few quid i’ll accept renewal as is, if its a hefty increase i’ll do a comparison and find equivalent cover with another well known and ask them to match, invariably they’ll beat that quote to keep you, everyone’s happy, i try to stick with a good company for a long time whenever possible.

I would not expect a decent company to match the very cheapest of quotes from the admin overchargers, being fair is a two way street.

Currently with Direct Line (not on comparison sites but have their own website for quotes), Mrs with Saga, no complaints with either, best insurer i ever had was NFU but their prices are now way over the top.

I renewed with Quote me happy this time after a few years with Cornmarket. QMH came in with a quote £200 cheaper than Cornmarket who then responded with “we can match that”. Too late was my thoughts, you should’ve given me your best price at your first attempt.

Six months ago I put my g/f as a named driver, no charge for that and only yesterday I put my son in law on as a named driver, again no charge. As long as they don’t go stupid then come renewal time they’ll have my business once more.

Cornmarket used to be great when it was Adelaide, but the last time i used them it took well over an hour on the phone to go through all the faff, worse still was the terms and conditions they make you sit through from the worn out twenty years ago indecipherable recording they play (twice over cos i was renewing 2 cars :unamused: ) during the call, couldn’t face that again even if they were half price, their call people can’t make a decision either.
Sort yourselves out CM.

I had the same experience with Cornmarket/Adelaide.
Another big leap in premium came when I became “retired” rather than an employed “LGV Driver” with 40+ years of accident free experience.
Presumably insurance companies think I became Mr.Magoo overnight.

Well sadley the older we get the price goes up, When I reached 80, 5 years ago it went sky high, I did get a better deal after going on line but with full no claims its still £520, for my 2012 Jaguar XF Deluxe, Regards Larry.