Car insurance costs as an hgv driver

I had my insurance renewal quote the other day , my insuarance company were pleased to offer me a renewal at £533… cheers, it was only £273 last year, full no claims , same vehicle thats been insured for 4 years with them all the same details etc… they said its due to an increase in premiums at 40% because so many people now use no win no fee companies to claim… im being priced off the road with fuel and now insurance hikes aswell… evne after searching loads for quotes i cant seem to get it less than £500 , its only a 1998 audi a4 1.9 tdi… less than 10,000 miles a year… worth about £800… if that , it seems in the eyes of insurance companies the fact that we are professional drivers and spend the majority of time behind the wheel of a truck counts for nothing… its about time it should… any pointers on where to look for cheaper car insurance…and anybody else having this issue?

Have you tried the comparison sites like Confused.com ec’t ?

tried them all… its looking like that is what the current rate is, its ridiculous…

I was with swinton until last year and the price went up 200quid in a year - no crashes - no change in circumstances! Told them to GTF went on confused and got a quote for the same price as i was paying from a company called 1st central.

They’re all bumping ■■■■■■■■■■

Do you do anything else as part of your job?

Im a recovery mechanic in the army, i got new insurance for my 59 insignia last week 1500 quid as recovery mechanic 820 as soldier.

I just renewed with Churchill £327 full comp on a 2005 merc 220 cdi estate, I didn’t shop around, I figured I wouldn’t get it any cheaper.

should have added this with my last post but does your car spend any time at youre depot?

if so is it cheaper to insure it there?

for a nissan pathfinder last year was £324 this year they wanted £512, all the comparison sites were the same so i rang them and said directline had qouted me £350 {they hadnt obvsly} after talking to the underwriter he came back and said the best we can do is £370. why couldnt they just say that in the 1st place :question:

kemaro:
I had my insurance renewal quote the other day , my insuarance company were pleased to offer me a renewal at £533… cheers, it was only £273 last year, full no claims , same vehicle thats been insured for 4 years with them all the same details etc… they said its due to an increase in premiums at 40% because so many people now use no win no fee companies to claim… im being priced off the road with fuel and now insurance hikes aswell… evne after searching loads for quotes i cant seem to get it less than £500 , its only a 1998 audi a4 1.9 tdi… less than 10,000 miles a year… worth about £800… if that , it seems in the eyes of insurance companies the fact that we are professional drivers and spend the majority of time behind the wheel of a truck counts for nothing… its about time it should… any pointers on where to look for cheaper car insurance…and anybody else having this issue?

arr thats good then becouse your a hgv driver does not mean you get cheap insurance if you were a transport mgr then you get cheap insurance

Worst thing you can do is tell your ins company you’re a driver for a living. IIRC it’s the most high risk category = huge loading on your premium. Don’t ask me why this is, it just is. Tell them you’re a bank manager or bank clerk if you don’t have the balls to say manager and want the premium plummet. :bulb:

Try these.

They worked out £350 cheaper for me than my previous company,and over £200 for the wife.

You can pay via direct debit with no payment up front, AND interest free, and their breakdown cover far outstrips any similar cover provided by other insurance companies. IIRC, it’s around £65 which includes Euro cover.

Ken.

I used to get a 10% discount because of my job as a lorry driver, I don’t get it since changing insurance companies a couple of years ago though.

Quinny:
http://www.csis.co.uk/

Try these.

They worked out £350 cheaper for me than my previous company,and over £200 for the wife.

You can pay via direct debit with no payment up front, AND interest free, and their breakdown cover far outstrips any similar cover provided by other insurance companies. IIRC, it’s around £65 which includes Euro cover.

Ken.

Quoting ins prices is pointless unless you state the excess for both as well. I could have free insurance cover if I wanted, so long as I agreed to a £450 excess.

Rob K:

Quinny:

Try these.

Ken.

Quoting ins prices is pointless unless you state the excess for both as well. I could have free insurance cover if I wanted, so long as I agreed to a £450 excess.

£50 each, and the excess was the same for both companies prior to changing.

Ken.

Quinny:

Try these.

Ken.

did a search on that 1650 compared to the 820 what im paying now its not all gravy.

Rob K:
IIRC it’s the most high risk category = huge loading on your premium. Don’t ask me why this is, it just is.

That’s right,Rob.I had a conversation with a broker a few years ago,when I was on the coaches.I asked why as a professional driver I couldn’t get cheap insurance yet teachers,miners office workers etc could,and she said that driving is classed as a high stress occupation,so in their eyes you are more likely to have a collision.

Mine went up about £200 this year to over £500 so I didn’t bother renewing and made alternative arrangements, which ended up costing me £17 in total. Happy Days.

Ive got a 53 plate MG ZTT my insurance last year with full protected 10 years no claims was £440 fully comp, when I got my renewal it had more than doubled, in the end I HAD to pay £890 and that was for third party fire n theft only. When I went on the comparison sites and entered the same details but changed job description from LGV driver to warehouse person my insurance dropped by over £300. When I spoke to my insurance company they said that because I was a proffesional driver I was actually a higher risk ■■?

Havent a clue how old or accurate this link is but it gives a list of occupations and their relevant insurance classes…

rapidinsure.co.uk/occupational-classes.asp

The link doesnt say as to whether the list is relevant to just that one company or if it is a generic list used by all UK insurance companies.

bullitt:
Havent a clue how old or accurate this link is but it gives a list of occupations and their relevant insurance classes…

rapidinsure.co.uk/occupational-classes.asp

The link doesnt say as to whether the list is relevant to just that one company or if it is a generic list used by all UK insurance companies.

Useful link bullitt - thanks.

Glancing over that, it would appear that the class system they use is based on tiredness from doing your job. If you look at all the class 4s, they are all physically or mentally demanding jobs. Class 1 jobs are all pretty cushy numbers (well, apart from ATC :confused: ).