Car for export

I got question:
There is a car needed to be shifted to Poland. I was asked to drive it, but it has no MOT or V5C. I was told that this is OK as long as car is bought for export and it’s insured, but something stinks for me here?

How car without MOT, Tax and V5C can be insured?

Anybody knows if that’s true?

sounds as if its stolen… it wont be insured… you CANNOT drive a car without a valid MOT on Public roads

check here

taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPor … =link.next

routier:
sounds as if its stolen… it wont be insured… you CANNOT drive a car without a valid MOT on Public roads

you can on trade plates - not that anybody’s likely to lend them out of course

routier:
sounds as if its stolen…

It has accident, but now it’s fixed. And they want it in Poland for parts and spares…

routier:
check here

taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPor … =link.next

What if it’s not in database here?

Is that mean that it’s SORN or Write Off?

orys:

routier:
sounds as if its stolen…

It has accident, but now it’s fixed. And they want it in Poland for parts and spares…

Its a write off then :unamused:

Suedehead:

orys:

routier:
sounds as if its stolen…

Yeah, but if it’s fixed, it’s not a problem for me (my own car was a write off, but it’s fixed, it had MOT and VIC checks and I checked it’s geometry for my own piece of mind and it’s all OK).

I told the guy that I won’t drive this car unless it will have valid MOT (VIC is not required to be legal on the road) and Registration certificate/certificate of permanent export when no regisration certificate is available). Only problem is a Road Tax. I know I need road tax, but the car has to be driven from Bradford to Dover only… Is there any extemption if car is exported or is there any option to buy short term road tax?

The guy told me, that he always drive such cars without tax and British Police always let him go when he shows them that he just bought a car for export, but I like to be 100% legal…

orys:

Suedehead:

orys:

routier:
sounds as if its stolen…

Yeah, but if it’s fixed, it’s not a problem for me (my own car was a write off, but it’s fixed, it had MOT and VIC checks and I checked it’s geometry for my own piece of mind and it’s all OK).

I told the guy that I won’t drive this car unless it will have valid MOT (VIC is not required to be legal on the road) and Registration certificate/certificate of permanent export when no regisration certificate is available). Only problem is a Road Tax. I know I need road tax, but the car has to be driven from Bradford to Dover only… Is there any extemption if car is exported or is there any option to buy short term road tax?

The guy told me, that he always drive such cars without tax and British Police always let him go when he shows them that he just bought a car for export, but I like to be 100% legal…

Take a bung and let your"e mate drive it over then.

Suedehead:
Take a bung and let your"e mate drive it over then.

That’s what I told him: if it’s not road legal I won’t touch it.

But I hope it will be, as it’s a good deal for me: free drive to Poland, free flight back, visiting friends and family and being paid over 200 quids for that :slight_smile:

But if it’s not road legal it’s not worth it.

jj72:

routier:

Here we will have to disagree. A trade licence does not negate the need for an MOT, in fact it can only be used for a pre arranged test, if it fails the vehicle has to be recovered on a tow or recovered on a truck.

Basically a trade licence is an adjustable tax disc, it can only be used on a vehicle temporarily in a dealers possession, to deliver it for accessories to be fitted, to demonstrate it or to move it between premises.

Here are the actual rules in full.

dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leafle … idance.pdf

So Orys,

If the car is not appearing in the database it maybe written off

If the car is put back on the road, it has to have a valid MOT, it may be a CAT C or CAT D ( if its been written off ) this should be stated on the log book I believe.

You cannot drive a vehicle on the road WITHOUT road tax Unless you have VALID trade plates which I doubt you have.

Who is the car registered to ?

If it does not have a valid MOT then the Insurance ( if it has any ) is null and void

Therefore you or your mate may jeopardise somebody driving their car on the road who is legal should the unfortunate happen.

There is a £1000 fine should your car be on the road without Road Tax and it may be impounded or crushed.

If your friend is desperate to take the car to Poland, then get it MOTd, get 6 months tax, drive it to Poland, take the tax off and get a refund back from Vosa.

You will lose a months tax but thats better than any fine.

Job done.

routier:
If your friend is desperate to take the car to Poland, then get it MOTd, get 6 months tax, drive it to Poland, take the tax off and get a refund back from Vosa.

That’s what I told him, so no free trip to Poland for me ;(

Thanks all.

Orys
If the car is to be registered in Poland how will the owner do it without a V5 , this has to be handed in to get a Polish registration document, I recently sold my MGB GT V8 to someone in Romania and he had to have all the papers for the car to get a Romanian registration which he has done. I have bought several cars to France and to get a French registration and a Carte Gris I had to have a V5 and Control Technic (French MoT) before I could register any of them.

This car… is it a yellow 3 wheeler with Trotters Independant Trading on the side of it :question: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
And did a bloke called Arthur Daily ask you to drive it :wink:

@orys WHY not use a lorry to take the car back home
as some one may have space for sale going cheap,
from one of the polish firms that go over to the UK;

kerbut:
Orys
If the car is to be registered in Poland how will the owner do it without a V5 , this has to be handed in to get a Polish registration document, I recently sold my MGB GT V8 to someone in Romania and he had to have all the papers for the car to get a Romanian registration which he has done. I have bought several cars to France and to get a French registration and a Carte Gris I had to have a V5 and Control Technic (French MoT) before I could register any of them.

It won’t be registered, as it’s for spares.

But as I explained to my friend that he was informed incorrectly by seller, he will not buy it :slight_smile:

EOT :wink:

Wheel Nut:

jj72:

routier:

Here we will have to disagree. A trade licence does not negate the need for an MOT, in fact it can only be used for a pre arranged test, if it fails the vehicle has to be recovered on a tow or recovered on a truck.

Basically a trade licence is an adjustable tax disc, it can only be used on a vehicle temporarily in a dealers possession, to deliver it for accessories to be fitted, to demonstrate it or to move it between premises.

• a bit more Malcolm, (though not much) & i’ve not looked at the link. But you are right & I would have picked it up idf you hadn’t, its a common myth that Trade Plates exempt MOT.

I thought you were allowed to drive a car on UK roads without MOT as long and/or only if you were heading to the testing station? If thats the case tell them the testing station is on Poland :smiley:

scottishcruiser:
I thought you were allowed to drive a car on UK roads without MOT as long and/or only if you were heading to the testing station? If thats the case tell them the testing station is on Poland :smiley:

That’s the point :slight_smile: And can I also tell them, that I filled up my tank with a Polish fuel so I paid tax and it’s in my tank, as in Poland road tax is included in fuel price? :slight_smile:

If you are taking a vehicle directly to a port and is to be permanantly exported it does not need an MOT. It has to be in a roadworthy condition, I.e lights, tyres etc. all ok.
Would recomend carrying proof of ferry booking in case of a pull by the bizees.