Car failed MOT. Happy xmas

Anyone have an audi A4 1999 era? Mine just failed MOT and they quoted £210 to fix it. Apparently its some joint in the front suspension that needs replacing (ok so it did make an awful clonking noise over speed bumps).

My knowledge of cars faded back in the time when you could tune your xr2i with a haynes manual, but these days you can only repair your car if you’re a trained mechanic. Seems a lot of cash (everyone is only getting a chocolate orange this year), but how do I know the garage is not taking me for a ride?

I’ve been suspicious of wrench wielders ever since I was told my brakes were ‘border line’ a week after replacing them myself and my new tires were merely ‘acceptable’

So N/S front (rear) suspension thingy £210. Should I go for it or look elsewhere. The fact I can only call it a thingy maybe that means I deserve to pay £210, but if anyone knows what I mean and knows I’m being taken for a ride please let me know.

I only put it through its MOT cos I want to sell it. Now whatever price I sell it for I’m going to loose £210 :frowning: Merry xmas

Common fault on A4’s as they have multi link suspension…

There are Audi scrap yards on the net, but you have to find a garage that will fit second hand spares.

take it to a council mot test station good fair test, they don’t repair vehicles, so they don’t care if it passes or fails.

beetie, your right about the front suspention on a4’s something like 8 arms with 16 odd ball joints, in my view (mechanic by trade), there having you over. take it else where

looking through your post’s you did your training with hills of lewes, so basing your location on that,

try here http://www.lewes.justmots.eu/

I’m an ex mechanic myself, and have had 2 A4’s too, plus countless other audis! Btdt! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and yeah council run mot stations will try to pass as like philgor says, they don’t repair, so it’s in their best interest! :smiley:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also if it was my car I would get the mot changed to a warmer month ! Your more likely to want to fix it yourself if its not -10 outside. Take it in for a mot in april-may or something, it might cost you an extra £30 or whatever it is, but you only have to do it once.