Car driver holds up ambulance

I was on a three-day first-aid course earlier this year and was given a list by a paramedic of four reasons why they might use “blues” but not “twos”

1. for the benefit of patient on board whose condition means the sirens would cause “distress or discomfort”.

2. to protect vulnerable road users ( cyclists, children, horses and riders etc) on public roads.

3. When responding to an incident alongside police who have requested a silent approach

4. When road conditions (eg double solid white lines) means it’s not legally possible to pass a vehicle and they actively want the vehicle to keep going until it’s safe for them to pass - they don’t want people to automatically stop without giving it proper thought, which too many people do apparently.

Interesting, i spent 15 years combined in West Mercia Police then West Mids Ambo, never heard some of these alleged rules.

Anyhow enough reminising about driving unmodified vehicles on blues in a smooth, progressive and safe manner. Honestly, after the initial few months of loving it, it becomes very mundane and the kids that have joined these days thinking they are bodie and doyle is a story for another day.

Now i drive big trucks, relax, work less hours and get better pay but still have to deal with poor man management, lol…