Car DEAD - killed by an artic - but me ALIVE!

So it’s not only me who gets a sweaty starfish when trapped in at the side of a lorry when I’m in the car? I was beginning to think that I was the only one that doesn’t trust other drivers.
Glad you are OK, but sympathise that it’s going to cost you a bundle of cash for doing nothing wrong.
Incidents like this can only fuel the anti-truck brigade.

Blimey Rog :open_mouth:
Sorry to hear about that mate but thank goodness you are OK. Cars can be replaced despiste the hassle.

Oddly enough a foreign artic nearly collided with our training vehicle yesterday so it must have been idiots outing day.

Hope you are not to badly shaken and have no after effects - which can set in a couple or three days after the event so watch out for dizzy spells and the like. Shock is a nasty thing.

glad your ok rog its only metal as long as your ok thats all that matters :smiley:

Glad you made it OK Rog - as others have said you can replace the car.
I agree with other comments - get checked out as it can take a few days for things to show up.
Sometimes even Roadcraft can’t help, but at least your driving skill probably helped. Hope it’s all sorted and they nail the barsteward ASAP.

So glad you are ok Rog, advanced driver training comes in handy too. When I got my advanced in South Africa, I was able to avoid an accident soon after by getting off the road quickly, when the first instinct is sometimes to brake. Hope you get things sorted quickly.

Very glad you are OK ROG and hope you get the insurance stuff sorted out soon.

BTW, if you do trace the driver please inform him it is my job to put you in jeopardy by shooting you and he needs to ■■■■ out. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

It is good to know that rog did not appear to suffer any serious or lasting injury, except to his wallet via the insurance excess. I am however getting a bit nobbed off with all the “another bloody foreigner” statements that are coursing through this and numerous other threads here.

Last week I had the misfortune once again to be sent to Good Ole Blighty (or maybe it should read Blighted) and once again experienced the arrogant and in some cases damned right dangerous attitude of Brit truck drivers towards us foreigners. I am ex pat Brit by the way and drive a Spanish left ■■■■■■.

Whilst I would agree that some of my “foreign” colleagues driving skills leave something to be desired, so do those of many British drivers - and I am certain that I am not totally perfect , yet.

Are those who continually berate foreign drivers by any chance the same people who take pleasure at boxing us in, cutting us up and making strange “V” shapes with their fingers and waving them at us - whats that all about?

advanced driver training comes in handy too.

It does if the techniques you have trained for are used correctly. In this case it seems that this was a fair way from being advanced.

Surely the whole ethos of advanced driving is not to get into the situation in the first place, which alludes to my previous remark in an earlier post that there was no escape route. The planning was flawed…

Technically it may have been the fault of the lorry driver but as all those who have trained in advanced techniques know the actual blame lies with themselves.

This is not to take away the seriousness of the collision though & at least ROG was able to get up & walked away. I am sure ROG as an IAM Senior Observer will know exactly where it all went wrong.

Just to say more or less the same as everyone else Rog, sorry to hear whats happened, but, very glad to hear you are ok. Insurance companies are a pain to deal with but a whole lot better for you to be phoning the insurers than your loved ones be phoning the undertakers.

Take it easy.

Glad you’re OK mate.

Good luck with sorting out the administrative side of things.

laikin’ art:
Surely the whole ethos of advanced driving is not to get into the situation in the first place, which alludes to my previous remark in an earlier post that there was no escape route. The planning was flawed…

That’s an interesting observation laikin’ art.
I don’t have any form of “advanced” driving certification, so I have a question designed to increase my own understanding.

Given ROG’s skills, how was he to know that a “situation” was about to develop? I’m taking it as read that he did his MSM routine, was the correct distance from the vehicle in front, was driving at an appropriate speed and planned to complete his manÅ“uvre correctly before the truck driver dove into his space. Just how should one plan for such an apparently random act?

laikin’ art:
Technically it may have been the fault of the lorry driver but as all those who have trained in advanced techniques know the actual blame lies with themselves.

Given my comment above, I’ve no idea whether yours counts as a harsh comment, so I’m not commenting on that. However, I’d venture that, according to ROG’s account, the truck driver seems (on the face of it) to be looking at “due care” or “careless” since he/she changed lanes in such a manner that a collision resulted. IMHO, as a legal case, it seems to be of the open-and-shut variety to me, if caught on camera or witnesses are found.

Lucky escape there Rog. Rather a bit of bent metal and paperwork hassles than broken bones, or worse.
Just goes to show this sort of thing can happen to anyone.
All the best, mate. And get that noggin looked at, just to be on the safe side :exclamation:

Horrifying thing to happen Rog, thankfully you’re still here and able to pass on your experiences. Chin up mate, your alive and thats what counts :wink:

Glad you`re ok ROG - hope you get yourself sorted out real soon :wink:

Coffeeholic:
Very glad you are OK ROG and hope you get the insurance stuff sorted out soon.

BTW, if you do trace the driver please inform him it is my job to put you in jeopardy by shooting you and he needs to ■■■■ out. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

gardun:
Glad you made it OK Rog - as others have said you can replace the car.
I agree with other comments - get checked out as it can take a few days for things to show up.
Sometimes even Roadcraft can’t help, but at least your driving skill probably helped. Hope it’s all sorted and they nail the barsteward ASAP.

Been Docs - all OK :smiley: :smiley:

gardun - one for you to ponder as a fellow advanced driver…
I went forward, just passed the front of the artic when the traffic in lanes 2 & 3 slowed and I backed off to save tailgating the car in front. As the traffic in lane 1 did not slow this meant that the artic was, in effect, legally passing me on the nearside. On realising the danger that put me in, I was intending to increase speed to get too close to the car in front - that being the lesser of 2 evils - but I was not allowed enough time to do so.
WHAT SHOULD I HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY :question:

laikin’ art:

We’re getting a Bozo bin on this forum soon. When we do, you’re gonna be the first one going in mine.

Hombre:
It is good to know that rog did not appear to suffer any serious or lasting injury, except to his wallet via the insurance excess. I am however getting a bit nobbed off with all the “another bloody foreigner” statements that are coursing through this and numerous other threads here.

Last week I had the misfortune once again to be sent to Good Ole Blighty (or maybe it should read Blighted) and once again experienced the arrogant and in some cases damned right dangerous attitude of Brit truck drivers towards us foreigners. I am ex pat Brit by the way and drive a Spanish left ■■■■■■.

Are those who continually berate foreign drivers by any chance the same people who take pleasure at boxing us in, cutting us up and making strange “V” shapes with their fingers and waving them at us - whats that all about?

So true m8 , i drive an italian reg left ■■■■■■ and i am forever being cut up or not let onto motorways via the slip road etc , but i do get my own back at services or the like when i ask politely WHF was that all about :imp: . I aint big or scary but i think the shock that i aint Italian and have a full command of the english language throws them a bit :smiley:

dieseldave:
That’s an interesting observation laikin’ art.
I don’t have any form of “advanced” driving certification, so I have a question designed to increase my own understanding.

Given ROG’s skills, how was he to know that a “situation” was about to develop? I’m taking it as read that he did his MSM routine, was the correct distance from the vehicle in front, was driving at an appropriate speed and planned to complete his manÅ“uvre correctly before the truck driver dove into his space. Just how should one plan for such an apparently random act?

laikin’ art:

Given my comment above, I’ve no idea whether yours counts as a harsh comment, so I’m not commenting on that. However, I’d venture that, according to ROG’s account, the truck driver seems (on the face of it) to be looking at “due care” or “careless” since he/she changed lanes in such a manner that a collision resulted. IMHO, as a legal case, it seems to be of the open-and-shut variety to me, if caught on camera or witnesses are found.

I’m not making a judgement just looking at it from an advanced driving point of view.

In reply to your questions dieseldave I will try to qualify what I said. A driver who has undertaken advanced training uses a system of driving - the IAM use IPSGA. The system when implemented requires a plan. The plan is formulated from information the driver gleans from using all their senses including observations to the front, to the sides & to the rear, both far distance, middle distance & near distance. Once this information has been gleaned a dynamic plan is created which allows for three questions.

What can I see?

What can’t I see?

What can I reasonably expect to happen?

The major part of this flowing plan is always to have a place of refuge, an escape route. If you do not have an escape plan you do not go there.

Driving into a potential block end, which it appeared to be, is a no-no. Heavy traffic on the inside, heavy traffic on the outside, heavy traffic in front. Once you are inside this it’s a killing zone, if something happens there is literally nowhere to go & you’re at the mercy of other people.

An advanced driver should be well aware of this situation developing & it is without doubt trained for.

The problem comes with one moment of inattentiveness. This is why I said that an advanced driver will blame themself regardless of legal blame. That again is part of the training. The analysis after the fact of why it happened & what did they did wrong to find themselves in this situation.

GerryT:
So true m8 , i drive an italian reg left ■■■■■■ and i am forever being cut up or not let onto motorways via the slip road etc , but i do get my own back at services or the like when i ask politely WHF was that all about :imp: . I aint big or scary but i think the shock that i aint Italian and have a full command of the english language throws them a bit :smiley:

Hi GerryT I drove Italian reg’d LHDs to the UK and elsewhere in 84/85 ish, so I know what you mean. :wink:
:laughing: Yes mate it’s great fun :laughing:
Renault 360 with Berliet cab. TOZ 10064 (Torino-zara to those who know :wink: )