Captain sir tom moore dies

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b … s-55881753

What a great man

A lot can learn from the likes of him.

Getting numb to the numbers dying each day but this one got me. He provided a bright a spot in a terrible year and his efforts put many to shame - recently and historically.

A year ago none of us were aware of his existence. Twelve months later he’s electrified a nation and brought a shining ray of light to an otherwise beleaguered year. I salute you Sir. Stand easy Captain, your watch is over.

Just to add; the man left a legacy, I can think of no greater accolade than that.

The proverbial ‘Stairway to Heaven’ has called you Sir, climb them with the respect of the UK and others!

R.I.P. Captain Sir Tom Moore

Rip…

Captain Sir Tom Moore.

the maoster:
Just to add; the man left a legacy, I can think of no greater accolade than that.

I kneel for no one :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll treat that comment with the contempt it so richly deserves in the context of this thread.

Surprised that all the flag shaggers aren’t asking us to clap tonight so for 5 minutes they can forget the 100,000+ dead.

Genuinely can’t believe this gent (and many others) fought for this country so he could then raise charity money for a supposedly free NHS. Then for far more than what he raised went directly in the pockets of Boris’s friends should make you all sad.

RIP Tom, sorry you were part of this nation that is not in anyway like the ones you tried to protect.

the maoster:
I’ll treat that comment with the contempt it so richly deserves in the context of this thread.

Be as contempful as you like.
I am sad he died. He seemed like a geninuely nice person.

We have a tendency to idealise our heroes and I think this is wrong.
People are people. Some are great but all are flawed. When you treat someone as a ‘hero’ you tend to overlook the less great stuff they did or try to justify it.

Also we like to idolise our heroes. He was incredibly modest and didnt want to be treated as a hero. Which to me puts him far above the likes of many 20th/21st century ‘idols’ because he was incredibly humble.

Now I should probably leave it at that but I’ll go further.
We live in a world of role models and idols. In which Beyonce and Lady Gaga through their stardom can influence an election. We live in a society that loves heroes and role models. This celebrity culture of putting people on a pedastol is in my view is wrong. Seems there is something in the human mind that likes to idolise humans though.

Also what I do know about Sir Tom Moore is he would not want anyone to kneel for him. Like I said he did not see himself as a hero.
Don’t believe me?
youtube.com/watch?v=LkZZgqskKSE

I am sad that a ww2 veteran died. To me that was his biggest contribution. I always get sad when ww2 vets die as their are so few left now and they really did give their lives for freedom. But no, I wont be ‘clapping’ for him.

I have nothing negative to say about the man, a true British hero, but I think the country could do with a tiny bit of perspective;

1. 100 year old people DON’T die of COVID, they die of old age. Most on this site will be locked up in some filthy hell hole by so called ‘loved ones’ a long time before they get to that age and if they still have their marbles they’ll be lucky to die alone rather than with the poverty wage ‘carer’ who’s been secretly abusing them for a decade.

2. Great though his fund raising was, it amounted to about ‘2 hours’ of the NHS budget for last year. Yep, that’s how £30 million goes. It covered the dinner and tea breaks for staff for a day.

Pat on the back, by all means, but national mourning, flags at half mast, mass clapping!!!■■? This national mental sickness has to stop. If there’s silences etc at football matches this weekend I am going to puke.

Truckerian99:
I have nothing negative to say about the man, a true British hero, but I think the country could do with a tiny bit of perspective;

1. 100 year old people DON’T die of COVID, they die of old age. Most on this site will be locked up in some filthy hell hole by so called ‘loved ones’ a long time before they get to that age and if they still have their marbles they’ll be lucky to die alone rather than with the poverty wage ‘carer’ who’s been secretly abusing them for a decade.

2. Great though his fund raising was, it amounted to about ‘2 hours’ of the NHS budget for last year. Yep, that’s how £30 million goes. It covered the dinner and tea breaks for staff for a day.

Pat on the back, by all means, but national mourning, flags at half mast, mass clapping!!!■■? This national mental sickness has to stop. If there’s silences etc at football matches this weekend I am going to puke.

Post of the year

Forget Sir Tom Moore for a moment and look up the recently knighted Sir Ian Lush the CEO of NHS Charities. How far did he walk round the garden?

RIP Tom

robroy:

Premier League games had a minutes silence before kick off for Captain Tom…

R.I.P

youtu.be/2weDBlOTgmo

R.I.P

youtu.be/2weDBlOTgmo

What could be taken as odd is this - depending on which way you look at it -
A memorial stone has been placed in a village in the UK in memory of those who died from covid and the inscription on that stone is from Sir Tom Moore - “Tomorrow will be a better day” = certainly not going to be better for those that died!!

Don’t think that it’s particularly aimed at those who died Rog, they’re not known for literacy skills in the afterlife. It’s more likely a beacon call to those who lost loved ones.