Can't get to 20mph when doing the controlled stop drill

Hi guys,

I’ve got another question and I hope you can help.

I can’t seem to get the artic to do 20mph before those cones.

Is this rule of 20mph really a strict rule ?

Or I could expect the examiner will understand that it can be quite a struggle to get an artic to do 20mph in such short lengh of road specially when the tractor and trailer are not in line when moving off?

thanks guys

rob

Can only speak for a rigid but I had the exact same problem when learning. There was a lot more space on the braking area at the test centre so it was fine on the test. I take it you haven’t done a test yet?

I’m 99% sure it’s a minor if you don’t quite reach 20mph.

When I did my test my instructer got me to pull away in 4th and then floor it when get to 20 cover break for nice crontrolled stop dont know wether u can do it on truck u are in ask instructer :bulb: jx

I was told to pull off in 3rd and change to 4th.

Maybe they all have their own way but 3 guys told me to do that and it worked for me when on test was up to 20 before i knew it and managed to stop the truck well smooth as long as u get to 20 not a prob after u reached 20 can take foot of accelerator and cruise it to a stop :wink: jx

:blush: sorry guys just realised u taling about artic I did that on ridgid ignore me jx

thanks guys

As you are currently in training and have an instructor then I am very reluctant to give any answer on this type of question as it could conflict with what your instructor is saying to you.

Jennie:
When I did my test my instructer got me to pull away in 4th and then floor it when get to 20 cover break for nice crontrolled stop dont know wether u can do it on truck u are in ask instructer :bulb: jx

When I did my class 1 test I got to 20 - 20kmh, I had to go round the block and do it again :blush:

You can get to the speed in an artic, if you couldn’t they wouldn’t make you do it, they can’t make you do something impossible!

All you have to do is “boot it, boot it, boot it” in 3rd then into 4th that’s what I was taught, and it works. Just have a heavy right foot!

When i did my test my instructor told me to start in 4th gear and give it some welly till you reach 20mph.it works well i can tell you. :grimacing:

At some test centres the braking ex starts from the reverse box. Naturally you are closer to the braking cones than you would be with a shorter (eg CAT C) vehicle.

In my experience, the 20 mph isn’t set in stone provided you make a reasonable effort to get somewhere close.

Remember that there are few trucks where the examiner can see the speedo/tacho in any case.

Good luck. Above all, as Rog said, listen to your instructor. He will know the attitude locally.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Depends what type of gearbox it is. 4 over 4 i pulled off in 4th and floored it, empty trailer you should ■■■■ it easy. why risk missing the gear jumping from 3rd to 4th■■?

when i did mine in an artic i just put in gear & floored it & it worked

as Peter ays some test centres you do the controlled stop from the reverse ( this is newcastle way )

but ask your instructor that is what you are payin them for

good luck

any one else done it at Gillingham? that was good in an artic start off on a bend. short gap to the cones then a ramp and sand right after them. it was hard telling the brain to gas it :smiley:

I was taught to pull away in 3rd, change to 4th and then boot it, by the time you get to 20mph the engine will be screaming, but I got there with room to spar. I suppose it’s down to the unit you’re using, the volvo fm12 I used had plenty of poke wherever you needed it.

joedwyer1:
any one else done it at Gillingham? that was good in an artic start off on a bend. short gap to the cones then a ramp and sand right after them. it was hard telling the brain to gas it :smiley:

I did both my class 2 and class 1 there and yeah it seems a bit wrong to floor it on a bend :wink: but you soon get it :wink:

EBGBz:
I was taught to pull away in 3rd, change to 4th and then boot it, by the time you get to 20mph the engine will be screaming, but I got there with room to spar. I suppose it’s down to the unit you’re using, the volvo fm12 I used had plenty of poke wherever you needed it.

I should imagine it would be fairly difficult in an automatic,i know mine takes an age when pulling off from a standing start.I passed my test in a manual though,and that reached 20mph easily.

Are you really sure you can’t get up to 20mph with 62 metres of road in front. Seems strange because I can pedal my bike to 25mph in the distance! Joking aside, the examiner will expect you to be around 20mph but obviously he can use his/her discretion.

Our instructors sometimes have a habit of trying to make it easy for the driver by setting off in a high gear. However, this will lead to higher clutch wear and shows the examiner you know how to abuse the vehicle to make it do what you want, not really a good impression to give your examiner.

Sure, your starting off on a bend, but this should not cause any trouble. I suggest you set off in your normal moving away gear and very early before you have moved more than 10 metres engage a gear that will get you to 20mph. Revving he engine lots in a low gear before changing only holds the vehicle back and means you will require more distance. Hope that helps, or get your instructor to demonstrate, he might be poor with his explanations but with any luck he can drive the truck himself and you just copy his techique!

And also, what make and model of truck are you driving? Maybe it’s an underpowered drawbar combination. We use full sized artics so there is plenty of power on tap. Did used to have a coach 20 years ago that was lucky to reach 20mph in the stopping exercise, used to feel like saying ‘capt’n that’s all she’s got!’