Cant believe they have released this already

My brain is struggling to believe that it actually real. Its amazing more didn’t die - horrific

news.sky.com/story/1120288/spain … er-emerges

Yep thats is horrific, makes you understand just how quick a catastrophee like that happens. didnt realise the driver had radioed his control seconds ahead off it happening to warn them, that must’ve been a feeling off total helplessness.

RIP to all the dead and hope for recovery off the injured.

I grit my teeth watching that second carriage fold up, not nice at all.

I would of thought most people that died wouldnt of felt it, it would off been instant.

How bloody fast? :imp:

Said on msn news that the police are now looking into the driver boasting on face book of speeding, rip the poor people who died in the crash :cry: :cry: :cry:

Truly horrific :frowning:

Lets hope it puts a stop to this silly HS2 thing here in the UK.

It’s shocking to think though, all the technology on that train, all the safety systems in place and there’s still an accident of this magnitude.

RIP. Thoughts are with everyone affected.

wildfire:
Said on msn news that the police are now looking into the driver boasting on face book of speeding, rip the poor people who died in the crash :cry: :cry: :cry:

The driver took a photo of how fast the train could go and posted on facebook
But it was not on this run.
So best not jump to conclusions just yet :question: :question: :unamused:

Awful.

I can’t help but wonder why this has been publicly released at all. What purpose is served? Freedom of information is one thing but surely this should be for the eyes of the Spanish investigators and no one else.

DearBoy:
Awful.

I can’t help but wonder why this has been publicly released at all. What purpose is served? Freedom of information is one thing but surely this should be for the eyes of the Spanish investigators and no one else.

Why ? Seeing what can happen to a train that’s going too fast might make some people on the road realise what the outcome can be when something goes wrong. I know this is a train, but if the driver was going too fast because he was showing off/didn’t care etc, then the same thing applies on the road.

I see the Trucknet CSI are now investigating Train transport! :question:

Tarrman:

It’s shocking to think though, all the technology on that train, all the safety systems in place and there’s still an accident of this magnitude.

RIP. Thoughts are with everyone affected.

The thing is, think of the jobs that could be created in the construction of HS2. We already have a high speed railway to France from St Pancras. The main reason HS2 is opposed is all the rich conservative voters who live in the railway’s path. We didn’t have all this furore in Kent did we with the channel tunnel rail link?

Britain is far far behind its neighbours with its transport links. I’m sure Carryfast will be along shortly saying what a waste of money it would be, but imagine all those thousands of jobs a project likes this sustains.

If Britain wants to compete in the world it needs good transport links between its major cities.

I have looked at footage and rip to all, it looked to me that the first carriage came off the tracks first then pulled the engine off along with the rest of the carriages,did something give way to contribute to this terrible accident.And yes the train was going too fast aswell.I got in fom work at 2 in this morning and I could not believe they had released the footage that soon.but I guess we live in a 24 hour news society.

Don’t wish to pre-empt RailNet CSI, but I read somewhere that the train was travelling at well over the limit for that section. Either it was a run away, mechanical problems, or the bloke was deliberately speeding.

Horrendous crash, I think a third of the passengers didn’t make it, RIP.

I noticed they started to lift the carriages off the track already, God forbid this would happen in this country, they would be there for days. They do things differently abroad!

bazza123:

Tarrman:

The thing is, think of the jobs that could be created in the construction of HS2. We already have a high speed railway to France from St Pancras. The main reason HS2 is opposed is all the rich conservative voters who live in the railway’s path. We didn’t have all this furore in Kent did we with the channel tunnel rail link?

Britain is far far behind its neighbours with its transport links. I’m sure Carryfast will be along shortly saying what a waste of money it would be, but imagine all those thousands of jobs a project likes this sustains.

If Britain wants to compete in the world it needs good transport links between its major cities.

Firstly I don’t think that there’s any advantages for the road transport industry in any large scale increase in rail transport capacity which is what HS2 is all about.Nor is there any real advantages for passengers in saving relatively small amounts in journey times taking into account the risks involved in running heavy pieces of machinery like trains at such silly speeds.While the costs,both economically,and in terms of the loss of quality of life in the affected areas,will certainly outweigh any so called employment ‘benefits’ in the long term.The fact is Britain can’t build it’s way out of an economic collapse which has been caused by the loss of it’s wealth creating industries.While ironically the arguments for and against aren’t based on any particular party political lines at all in that plenty of Tories like Cameron and his LibDem sidekick Clegg actually support the idea of wiping out the South East under yet more housing estates,airport expansion and rail infrastructure.

Thought I’d update you as one of the forums resident PCV drivers and fully qualified train driver. It appears that the train driver got a call from his control advising about a different route plan. At the time the train was travelling within the speed limit but failed to slow for the 80 kph bend. Unfortunately there was no overspeed protection as the train had just left the high speed line and was on classic tracks. So the main cause was driver error because control called him on the train and that overspeed protection wasn’t installed on this part of the line unlike in Britain.

Nothing wrong or dangerous about HS2. We have had HS1 for a while and no accidents have occurred.

The photo of the train speedo at 200 kph is quite a normal speed for that type of train. Train drivers do not deliberately break the speed limits on the route they are driving.

Today I’m driving a speed limited coach - in fact it only does 55 mph. A few days from now I’ll be doing 90 mph in a train with no speed limiter.

daveb0789:
Thought I’d update you as one of the forums resident PCV drivers and fully qualified train driver. It appears that the train driver for a call from his control advising about a different route plan. At the time the train was travelling within the speed limit but failed to slow for the 80 kph bend. Unfortunately there was no overspeed protection as the train had just left the high speed line and was on classic tracks. So the main cause was driver error because control called him on the train and that overspeed protection wasn’t installed on this part of the line unlike in Britain.

Nothing wrong or dangerous about HS2. We have has HS1 for a while and no accidents have occurred.

The photo of the train speedo at 200 kph is quite a normal speed for that type of train. Train drivers do not deliberately break the speed limits on the route they are driving.

Today I’m driving a speed limited coach - in fact it only does 55 mph. A few days from now I’ll be doing 90 mph in a train with no speed limiter.

So based on that, is the driver gonna be cleared, or will he be in deep doo doo in your opinion?

I don’t think he’ll be cleared but responsibility shared with RENFE (Spanish Railways) who only wanted to blame the driver.

It does become necessary to answer the train phone for a variety of reasons but before doing so a driver should use the driving policy and not answer if - as was the case he was approaching a speed restriction.

In this country at least, drivers who have an at fault collision - (not mechanical failure) would be lucky to go back driving.

If it turns out to be that answering the incoming call and holding a telephone conversion was the cause of the accident its irrefutable evidence that talking on the phone whilst driving is a big distraction to the task at hand. Its bugger all to do with if the handset is being held or not.

Agreed 100%. In the case of road transport if the call needs to be taken the driver should pull over to a safe location and stop then have the conversation.

With trains it’s not always convenient to simply stop from a high speed just to be given some basic information over the train phone. There are also occasions such as passenger alarms being activated where communication takes place on the move. A driver can now override the alarm if its found to be accidentally pressed or to allow the train to proceed to a safer location. We have to be able to multi-task but with knowledge of the route ahead etc. On that fateful day events transpired and caused the driver to lose situational awareness and with no overspeed protection (something all modern lines have for tight bends etc) the train was doomed. I forgot to add - the driver did apply the brake - just too late and got the speed down from 120 mph to 93 mph - still too fast for that curve. Had he applied the brake - I’m guessing here - just 20 seconds earlier than he did that train may have stayed on the tracks.