Cancelled One Shift

So the new agency called just now and cancelled my Monday shift saying they are not too busy.

I don’t mind the rest, but on principle I did say to my usual agency I am booked all of next week…

So now I have loss of earnings for Monday is it a case of ■■■■ it up??

I have not done any work with the new agency so don’t want to create any ripples but I am sure they may/will get compensated as there must be some notice period for cancellations…

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Might be better off sticking with one agency if they can provide you with a weeks worth of work, even if the new one promises more money as they’re usually talking twaddle. In my limited experience, busy agencies at this time of the year are the best ones to stick to.

As for a notice period, you’re essentially on a zero hours contract of sorts, so they don’t really need to give you any notice. You’ll find employers also do the same thing especially in the first 3 months on your “trial period” or whatever they want to call it - essentially no contract, no rights and no guaranteed hours. Oh and nope, you can’t get any money out of them.

Unfortunately not many agencies offering work to new class ones I am afraid…I have done and passed the assessment with Pertemps and still waiting for the promised work of easy trunking for DHL/Royal Mail.

QS who I am currently with are not the highest payers (£9.50) but the hours can be long for the cars/vans/7.5t/class 2/tractor units that I deliver for them, only done a couple of days on proper class one at around £11.50

This new one JKP Hinckley originally booked me for 4 days next week seems Eddie Stobart/Tesco pulled the rug for Monday at least, they may feel guilty for doing so and it may get me some points further down the line… :unamused:

For me as I am just looking for part time work as semi retired its not too bad however for someone told last minute without the chance of securing other work especially on a Sunday seem unfair and poor planning and too lose 20% of a weeks wages must peed you off…

My name is More Ale and I’d like to confess I was once an agency driver. :blush: I was cancelled by DH once (booked for a week of nights) and thought nothing about it until about a week later when I went back for an odd shift and was asked how I was, as I’d been off sick all week. Bloody liars had cancelled me only to fill my shifts with two other drivers. When questioned they said they “only being fair” by dishing what work they had out equally.
Perhaps I was selfish but I think if I’d been asked for personally then why should I lose out to someone else? I absolutely refuse to work DH ever again, I’d rather quit driving than work for those lying scumbags.

Agencies differ across the country. I’ve had stuff canceled on me but the lasses at DH Lincoln would always find something for me which was normally van work last minute but its better than nothing plus I would be paid Class 2 rate regardless. Agency as a newbie is hit and miss. You’ll most likely end up with some crap because you have no experience and many places want experienced drivers, its a catch 22. Have no experience but no one wants you because you have no experience so there isn’t a way to get experience! That being said, the best job I ever had was on agency and that was driving a little 7.5T puddle jumper around delivering furniture. I was my own boss on that job. Company didn’t care how long it took, “just get it done” was all they said to me.

Agree about DH trying to find an alternative Radar, but it was always last minute rubbish that not even the Poles wanted. I was offered warehouse pick and pack, removal porter, and bed deliveries. This was all nigh on minimum wage stuff that you couldn’t claim expenses for.
I might sound lazy but I want to drive for a living not become a labourer.

Agencies are as good as the manager who runs that particular branch, so you can’t say one is better than another. But I can tell you that Permtemps trying to get you with the promise of RoyalMail work is talking Bollox! That’s a national ManPower contract, and only when ManPower can’t supply RM with a driver will they sub it out to other agencies…

View them like this, and take a guess at which one is you! :smiley:

My My the world of agencies…

So QS called me and said can I do the double manned Hobbycraft shift tomorrow…I said yes as don’t know if I will get messed up later on in the week…

More experience for me and getting paid for it too…

Earlier start…04:00 :open_mouth: :open_mouth: