Cancelled Cycle & Trucks ads

The Think! campaign and TfL commissioned these ads. then decided not to run them;

They appear to be of the same accident. I think they should have definitely put them on the telly.

they should bloody be put on telly, but because it portralys cyclist in a bad/stupid/idoitic way, it may hurt the delecate feelings of the poor little cyclist

if this was a real accident which i doubt it, i hope both videos were used in court to defend the driver from prosocution, and the verdict came back as suicide.

they should make short public information films showing the dangers of moving trucks.

remember the “charly says” adverts anyone?.they certainly got a message across to me when i was a kid
jimmy saville
green cross code man
tufty
all were sucessful in teaching about certain dangers.if people were taught about blind spots or what happens when you cut in front of a truck and brake heavily(top pet hate)then lessons may well be learnt.

show em what happens

commonrail:
show em what happens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjniPX3SZBc&feature=related

First off - Don’t buy a citroen 2CV. You may think it makes you look cool in a quirky kind of way, but everyone will think you are a ZB’unt and attempt to crush you as completely as in the above link. :smiling_imp:

More seriously, to the OP … yes, as cheesy as it was, we need adverts about blind spots to be shown on TV. Especially as the credit crunch is leading to more and more people taking to two wheels. I was watching the n/s mirror in the first clip to see if I could get a glimps of the stupid cyclist, but saw no cyclist. Doesn’t matter how far you lean forward to check the blind spot a cyclist is too small to see.

I know I am guilty of ranting on these forums defending cyclists, but I only rant cos I also drive a lorry and I know what I should do and what I should’nt do on a pushbike. Most truckers have at one point ridden a bike. Few cyclists have driven a truck. These ads should be rolled out to get the message across.

Is there anyone we could petition to get these on the telly?

Squiddy, he appears at 21 seconds, for about 3 seconds. So, if you’re looking around the junction to see who’s doing what - you’ll miss seeing him. I agree, it should be shown on the TV. And I bet we can all think of someone who would be most likely to pull a stupid stunt like that! Be the best final headcam shot he ever took :smiling_imp:

plant fitter:
Is there anyone we could petition to get these on the telly?

You could try linking to your local MP or suggesting it to the people who run speed awareness courses. Apart from the bike stuff it really was quite shocking how the 2CV and the green car got crushed to about a foot in length by a relatively small truck :cry:

The Sarge:
Squiddy, he appears at 21 seconds, for about 3 seconds. So, if you’re looking around the junction to see who’s doing what - you’ll miss seeing him. I agree, it should be shown on the TV. And I bet we can all think of someone who would be most likely to pull a stupid stunt like that! Be the best final headcam shot he ever took :smiling_imp:

Hehe I think I know who you mean. At 21 seconds I was checking my o/s mirror and scanning the road ahead. No wonder I missed him. Would still get banned/prison sentence and a life long guilt trip for it though.

Sent to rugby MP. I agree lets hit our local mps with it all of us!!!

The Sarge:

Then appears in the top mirror & is clearly visible there, even from that camera angle, just as the driver moves away. Also he does not appear to do n/s, o/s mirror checks + right shoulder check.

Should be aired, with additional time spent explaining that the cyclist caused this accident and also caused the truck driver a life sentence through no fault of his own.

Biscuits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXI-p2tq5wg

Did he run over a mouse? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

On a more serious note, I didn’t see the driver checking his n/s mirrors before setting off, which of course would be a fail on a test.

Just as I said above Rob.

But YES, I’m definately all for public information films about safe road usage.
Correct signalling on roundabouts is another much needed topic.

Well i’m sorry but both truck drivers were clearly indicating their intentions so i believe these accidents were the result of the cyclists stupidity & lack of road knowledge. Ok so the drivers should of checked their nearside mirrors abit more but in my opinion the cyclists are in the wrong. They wont make that mistake again!!

Squiddy:
I was watching the n/s mirror in the first clip to see if I could get a glimps of the stupid cyclist, but saw no cyclist. Doesn’t matter how far you lean forward to check the blind spot a cyclist is too small to see.

Watch it again and after about 17 seconds into it you see the cyclist coming up the side of him :unamused:

I saw the cyclist enter the blind spot on the first watch, mostly because I knew what tricks they get up to so I watch out for it.

Doesn’t shift the blame. That guy committed suicide riding up the inside of a truck which was indicating to turn.

They are both in the wrong (cyclist & driver) and that is so often how accidents happen.

Remember you have to drive for other road users aswell as yourself.

Driveroneuk:
They are both in the wrong (cyclist & driver) and that is so often how accidents happen.

Remember you have to drive for other road users aswell as yourself.

100% agree with you there.
I dont understand why a cyclist would go down the side of a lorry. I think they should have shown these adverts, would get the population thinking for sure.

If no-one recognises that person filming in the second video its that BentMickey chap. I know some people from a cycling forum were wanting to make an advert like this and i think they managed to sort one out.

The problem isnt with all cyclists, as you saw with the cyclist shouting not to go down there. Its those weirdo ones that seem to want to go down the left. Unfortunately i think the only time they learn is when they get run over by a left turning lorry :unamused: