Canadian truck licence

Just thinking aloud here guys but I am really getting sick to the back teeth of the UK

Do you need a canadian address to do the truck licence or could you do it, for example, whilst over there on holiday/research

What is involved in the test/tests and where could you get hold of the study material for the theory side.

I’m really gonna get my finger out and visit in the next couple of years and take it from there but I’ve gotta do something to get out of this hell hole called the uk

You would also need to prove that you had relevant status in the province that you were applying for a CDL licence and even Canada itself. This would be proof that you had either been nominated for permanent residency or had a temporary work permit. If i remember rightly i also produced a letter from my Canadian employer and proof that i had a bank account in Canada. You are required to turn in your European licence when you receive your Canadian one.
In Manitoba the Class 1 CDL driving test includes two exams, one on general truck related driving and one on airbrakes. There is a three stage practical. The first deals with pre trip checks then an airbrake practical and lastly the actual driving test.
For these reasons i do not think you would not be able to do any of this while you were just visiting Canada.
Your first and most important step would be to secure a job offer to enable you to stat the ball rolling. Unfortunatly the present economic situation in the world makes that harder than it was a couple of years ago.

Thats killed that idea then, It won’t be for a few years yet (finances) but it was just an idea to get things moving, ie doing the licence whilst I was on holiday.

Oh well, back to the old drawing board :smiley:

Not so sure and you should google it and make sure. I will try to find out about it but not sure when I will be able to.

I don’t think you need a job to do the licence, and entering Canada as a visitor entitles you to 6 months in the country and, I believe, your licence is only valid for 90 days. That means, in theory, that you have to sit a test here if you wish to drive for more than 6 months. BUT!!!

You do not need to sit a test for a car, and your C+E full licence is transferrable to a CDL learners permit. If you are able to sit the test then you would have to trade your licence in, but you can then trade it back when you return to the UK. As long as you return within 4 years then you can trade your full UK licence for a full Canadian Class 1 again.

As best I can tell, you are not disallowed to sit a test under a visitors visa.

Here you go Semtex if you goto these links you can read the air brake manual & drivers manual, the air brake is a really good read :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
And you can do the tests on the third link, hope this is of some use to you

mpi.mb.ca/english/dr_licensi … anual.html

mpi.mb.ca/english/dr_licensi … dbook.html

mpi.mb.ca/dr_quiz/StartDrivingQuiz.asp?L=E

The following might also be an option:
Go and work on the USA harvest run via a H2A temp harvest work visa for 3/4 months from Sept to Dec as the harvest starts in May but extra truck drivers are needed by the “custom cutters” for the Fall crops.
You can apply and gain your USA CDL truck licence in a VERY short space of time (45 mins for me :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: ) and as far as I’m aware an up to date USA CDL can be transferred to the Canadian CDL equivalent. :smiley:
Check out:
taylorharvesting.com
hollandharvesting.com
demarayharvesting.com
bergman-harvesting.com
altendorfharvesting.com
The custom cutter employing you via a H2A visa HAS to pay your return airfare by law :exclamation: :wink:

Quote from Alberta Government website:

Residency Requirements for Operator’s Licence
On July 17, 2006, changes came into effect regarding residency requirements for Alberta driver’s licences and identification cards. In order to obtain an Alberta driver’s licence or identification card, you must provide proof (i.e. visa, permanent resident card etc.) that you are lawfully entitled to be in Canada and proof (3 party residential lease agreement, letter from Alberta based employer etc.) that you are an Alberta resident. A registry agent cannot issue your driver’s licence or identification card unless they are satisfied that you are a legal resident of Alberta.

Please note that it is a criminal offence to provide false information on a driver’s licence or identification card application.

Alberta can cancel a driver’s licence or identification card if it is determined that the application contained misrepresentation, false information or inaccuracies:

-If you are a new resident in Alberta, you must obtain an Alberta driver’s licence within 90 days of moving to the province, regardless of whether you travel outside Alberta during those 90 days

-If you are working in Alberta but have your residence outside the province, you may continue to use the valid licence from your home jurisdiction

-If you are visiting Alberta, you may use your valid licence from your home jurisdiction as long as you have a legitimate residence there and do not take up residency in Alberta

-If you are visiting Alberta from outside Canada and using an International Driving Permit (IDP), you may drive in Alberta for up to 12 months using the IDP in conjunction with your valid home jurisdiction licence

-If you are staying in Alberta as a full time student or you are working here as part of a co-op program of study, you may use your valid driver’s licence from your home jurisdiction

/End quote.

Here is the link for Alberta’s rules. Each of the provinces have their own licence rules.
servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Dri … rs_Licence

HTH
BJD

Here is all the information needed for the theory test for truck driving.

transportation.alberta.ca/850.htm

BJD

wire:
You would also need to prove that you had relevant status in the province that you were applying for a CDL licence and even Canada itself. This would be proof that you had either been nominated for permanent residency or had a temporary work permit. If i remember rightly i also produced a letter from my Canadian employer and proof that i had a bank account in Canada. You are required to turn in your European licence when you receive your Canadian one.
In Manitoba the Class 1 CDL driving test includes two exams, one on general truck related driving and one on airbrakes. There is a three stage practical. The first deals with pre trip checks then an airbrake practical and lastly the actual driving test.
For these reasons i do not think you would not be able to do any of this while you were just visiting Canada.
Your first and most important step would be to secure a job offer to enable you to stat the ball rolling. Unfortunatly the present economic situation in the world makes that harder than it was a couple of years ago.

What Wire says is spot on, although, I did use the company I was working for, address, they just left off the company name, that was their suggestion in the test place in Portage la Prairie.

Big Truck:
Go and work on the USA harvest run via a H2A temp harvest work visa for 3/4 months from Sept to Dec as the harvest starts in May but extra truck drivers are needed by the “custom cutters” for the Fall crops.
You can apply and gain your USA CDL truck licence in a VERY short space of time (45 mins for me :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: ) and as far as I’m aware an up to date USA CDL can be transferred to the Canadian CDL equivalent. :smiley:

So you the job involves ,driving truck along side harvester and taking to drop point etc etc.

Paulc:

Big Truck:

So you the job involves ,driving truck along side harvester and taking to drop point etc etc.

No,
The big wheat /corn/soybeans Custom Cutters have 2/3/4 tractors and grain carts which run between the 8 to 12 maybe even 24 combines working in the fields and the semi/straight trucks parked along the roadside or edge of field.
When you are loaded drive like the wind to the elevator in the local town drop the load out of your hopperbottom trailer and get back to the field pronto for the same again :exclamation: :sunglasses:
When the weather is good and the crops are ready and the acres are BIG you may do this from 8am til 2am the next day 7 days/week :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth:

wire:

But it can still be done if you want to.