Canadian Pay scales / Rates

Hi All,

I have been trawling through the threads & Posts here to see if I could find out info on pay rates / scales in Canada.

Somebody somewhere posted a reply in one of the threads regarding 2 forms of pay scales. I think one started with PC and there was another one.

I can not find this thread again at all and it has been driving me nuts>

Therefore can anyone help and tell me what these 2 types of pay scales are and what they mean. Also what is a good rate of pay in Canada (Miles & Hourly rate) for long haul.

Many Thanks Dave

Hello Dave,

From what I’ve read from job postings and on this forum, the basic rates of pay for long haul drivers is around .39 to .43 cents a mile. Loading time is about $20.00 an hour.

There are different scales according to 1. being a new driver regardless of how many years you drove in the UK. 2. Long haul driver. 3. Regional driver, and 4 dedicated run driver. Number 4 would pay a little less.

My advice to you is not to focus so much on pay at the beginning. Try to find a good job where they don’t send you too far at the start, and hopefully no into the U.S. for the first few months. The border crossing can take some extra time these days and some cities there can a pain to drive in.

A good rate of pay would be one that would make you $70.000 to $80.000 a year, but I wouldn’t plan on making that in your first year. You’re going to need some time to get settled and get into the groove of things. I have also noticed that the firms that offer the higher per mile pay, don’t have some other benefits. if I were you, I would just ask other drivers how much they make per year. There’s no point in getting paid .43 cents a mile while you’re not turning a wheel with a 24 or 48 hour layover in Houston. Even if you get paid $100.00 for that, you’re still at a loss.

What kind of driving work are you looking for?

DAVIE_MAC:
Hi All,

I have been trawling through the threads & Posts here to see if I could find out info on pay rates / scales in Canada.

Somebody somewhere posted a reply in one of the threads regarding 2 forms of pay scales. I think one started with PC and there was another one.

I can not find this thread again at all and it has been driving me nuts>

Therefore can anyone help and tell me what these 2 types of pay scales are and what they mean. Also what is a good rate of pay in Canada (Miles & Hourly rate) for long haul.

Many Thanks Dave

Companies have different ways of calculating mileage to pay drivers and bill consignees.

HHG or Household goods mileage.Most companies use this method. You get paid Zip code to Zip code,usually less than the actual miles you drive.

PC miler is a computer program the gives the shortest mileage,point to point. Again less than the miles you drive .

Hub miles. Based on what the hub meter says on your trailer.Will be the closest to the actual miles you drive.

Some companies pay % of load, normally around 27% for company drivers. companies are legally required to disclose freight rates if you are being paid this way.

Nicholas & Longwayround…

Thanks very much for all your help and advice…PC Miler was the one I was trying to find for ages and the Hub miles so thanks for that.

As you mentioned Nick I think the best thing to do is to try as best you can to get the balance right overall…Pay / Location / Company / etc etc then just get accustomed to Canadian life and the work as a whole. Once you have done a while take a step back and assess see how things are going and move forward. Anyone who thinks it’s all gonna be a bed of roses all the time could have a shock. I think what is needed with the drivers who have families is 100% honesty, everything on the table so EVERYONE knows exectly what they’re going to.

This should be quite easy for the wife and I as we are both serving soldiers in the British Army and used to moving around all over the place and time apart sometimes this can be for 6 months or more so nights away she will be happy with to get wrid of me for a while to get peace and quiet. She is outgoing also so no problem making friends as were used to this with all the moving that goes on. Plus I have been told that she could come with me on trips so the best of both worlds - peace n quiet or company!! We don’t have kids either so no problem there…well an English Springer Spaniel he’s like a bloody kid…infact a kid would be cheaper.

I know we would be well suited to the life after all it’s what I have done for the last 21 years driving 130ton tank transporters so that is the sort of field that is my bread n butter low loader / out of guage type work, but any job that fits the above criteria would be fine really.

I have until April 2008 when I leave the Army to start work so the order of the day is research research & more research. If it means we will have a worse standard of life in Canada than the UK then we don’t go I’m not in the business of being exploited and the wonderful views and fantastic country and people only last for so long…these things don’t pay the bills / food / car etc so it don’t matter where you are if you aint got money you aint got money and life will be bad. However I have had some excellent feedback from some firms who are extremely interested (some of the smaller family firms in the more remote areas) and the packages they are offering seem very good…SO fingers X this time next year we could be in Canada if I have a good job to goto and apply for early release.

Lets hope so.

Could anyone clarify what AZ and DZ drivers are as I see them advertised (Thought AZ meant Arizona).

Thanks again to both of you for all your help.

Dave

PS plus I’m a mountaineering instructor and love skiing so where better to go live…if you get time off that is… :laughing: :laughing: :smiley:

It looks like you know what you’re getting into there Dave.

I have posted on this board before about immigrating to Canada. Sometimes I think it’s easy for people who are just starting out in their life (in their mid-twenties) and can adjust well and make friends. I’m 45 now, and I know that it’s much more difficult to make friends when you’re a little older. Sure, you’ll find other expats to make friends with, but then again you’re not getting into the local fabric.

There are plenty of jobs to be had in southern Alberta. I will probably be heading there before the end of the year. It’s not such a bad place to live or work and it’s not too far from the mountains.You can ski in Banff, and the drive wouldn’t be too long.

I doubt if you’ll land a job from hell. I’ve had my share of dispatchers who played favourites, and just moved on to the next job, which would be difficult for you during you first year. From my experience, if you cross a dispatcher in Canada by complaining, they’ll get back at you.

I never drove freight in Canada or long haul. All of the work I did was in the oil fields which I really liked. Not too many places where you can load oil into a tanker while sharing a sandwich with a fox. For the most part i was left alone to do my job, and I will do it again soon.

Just let your first year be your learning experience and the just move on. I’m sure you love it in Canada and you’ll do well there.

Best of luck.
Nicholas.

This site is pretty good for company listings

http://www.canadiantruckers.com

Longwayround:
This site is pretty good for company listings

http://www.canadiantruckers.com

Hi and thanks for the site. There are a lot of companies hiring on there so will have to look through it all in more detail then enquire if they will take on by using the PNP route.

I guess not all of them will but if you never ask you never know eh.

Thanks once again any help & info is greatly appreciated.

Cheers Dave :smiley:

A DZ license is for a straight (rigid) truck equipped with airbrakes.
A AZ is for tractor trailer equiped with airbrakes.
The “Z” is the airbrake endorsement.

Here is the Ontario MTO website about drivers licenses.

mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ … index.html

reference to candian pay.

on the whole its by the mile,and that depends on your experience,if you are on the top rate it depends on what the company you work for pays.
they are not hub miles they are computer miles,and thats if you get the miles to drive,if you are stood a day or two there is no pay,see foot note on my pay example.
normally there is no time paid for tipping and loading,they have a so much a drop /load payment and they do pay for roping and sheeting,on the whole the pay in canada is very very poor for a driver,ironically the drivers over here cant see that they are being ripped off.

any driver coming to canada thinking they are going to be better off in the finance,taking in count the cost of things over here,had better think again.

On the whole when you look at the big picture nobody is gonna become a millionaire from driving a truck and it’s a bit like being in the forces, the money is not great but you do it coz you enjoy it. People get ripped off coz they let themselves get ripped off by working for companies who take the ■■■■ and the rose tinted glasses of a better life. Companies that insist you bring all your savings to subsidise your 1st year wages coz they pay you a training wage…cmon whats all that about then. Like I said above if things on balance seem good for a move to Canada then the wife and I will make that move if not then unfortunately we stay put or look at other options. OZ looks like opening up later this year and I have been in touch with the ATA regarding a move but Canada is our first choice, the wife prefers to fight bears than snakes. To look at the big picture if I am working and the wife is working and working for a decent companies then there is no reason you can’t have a good standard of living and as for the UK this place has gone to the Dogs so the way I look at it is if your gonna work yr ■■■ off to make a living you might as well do it somewhere that is nice to live rather than a run down dump that has become the UK. There is no Great in Great Britain anymore and after the wife and I serving a combined total of 34 years in the forces I think we have done enough in the service of this country time to move on and after all that time were in for a big change anyway so might as well start a new life new job etc in Canada than here……but that’s getting a bit political sorry.

I think in general life is what you make it. If you go into something with as many facts as possible and done your research and it turns out ■■■■ then its just plain bad luck. As for the job if you can stick it out till you get PR status then you can move on if your not happy.

Please feel free to correct me fellas any criticism is gladly accepted……….as long as it’s constructive.

Cheers Dave

Couple of small edits Dave, if it needs stars it ain’t allowed :wink: , D.

How can I criticise? I agree with you.

Thanks Rob.

Thats good coming from someone whos opinion is highly respected on these forums (well I think it is)

When you get the chance could you PM your thoughts on your company as I was a bit gutted at the week end as I had an interview lined up with Eric & Terry at South Mimms but got called away to wales as they needed an Instructor at short notice so I had to cancel the appointment…life in the Army eh it’s never your own…prob like truckin in Canada eh :smiley:

I had a good chat with Terry and he was still keen for me to continue with the application process. Sometimes you get a good feeling about people and they seem pretty dead on.

Let me know what you think anyway please.

Cheers Dave