Canadian Class 1 Questions

Hi guys. Just after some information on the Road and Knowledge tests for my Canadian Class 1 licence.
Ive just got back from the doctors and have my medical form completed. And Iv’e got a job lined up for when i pass.
I’m self funding my training (same as i did a year ago, back in the UK). Being a citizen is a pain , and a godsend. Its awkward because im not classed as an oversea’s driver. But a godsend because i can stay here as long as i want, and can get jobs that arent available to people going through the PNP / LMO systems.

Another question for you if you dont mind. What is involved with hauling Cattle?

Thanks Jon

If you havew no idea whats involved in hauling cattle cont even think of attempting it :exclamation:

Been offered a job with training, Teamed with an experienced driver for 2 to 3 weeks . Just wondered what im getting myself in for before i take the job.

Lots of one hit driving, hassle with the vets at the border, having to wash out the trailer in steaming heat or freezing cold, and when the poop has frozen it is game over. Crawling in between the decks with a steam lance and a shovel, spooked cattle deciding to go in the exact opposite direction to where they are meant to go, pigs are even better because they give you the evil eye then remember you having the prod when you get to the other end.

Dead animals in the box that you have to get out, pressure, pressure and more pressure, and generally about 34cpm for your trouble.

Go on flatdeck. May be hard work, but if you need to move part of the load you can without taking the whole lot off, and you will be out of most of the work which involves tight bays and surly warehouse workers.

Thanks Bobthedog, that was the kind of information i was after. Tbh it sounds like a lot of hassle for the pay. I will have an ask around at the training company to see if they know any transport co’s that take on newbies. I’ll probably give some of the bigger national co’s a ring aswell, as they have all said come back to us when you have your class 1.

Did I miss it or have you not said where you are basing yourself in Canada? A lot depends on that, really. As a Canadian, you may be eligable for one of the programmes to train you in the ways and means here. They are generally recognised as being acceptable.

Re the cattle, as Pat says, if you haven’t been there before, it is well worth avoiding.

What is the age limit for expats coming to drive class 1 in Canada .

I dont want to make anyone look a little embarassed, but my Location is

<-------- here :smiley:

just done my airbrake endorsement, and i really didnt know there was that much to them. Ive never given them a second thought back in England. But now i feel confident adjusting them up etc. NOTE :- UK trucks dont need adjusting afaik. So dont try it lol.

I also didnt realise that all trailer controls are in the cab over here either. No getting out the cab to set your trailer brake. Its right on the dashboard lol.

Oops…Shoulda seen that!!! :blush:

Anyway, general rule of thumb is that there are virtually no brakes that have manual adjusters here, either. I presume they taught you the “six pack” to force the adjusters up a bit, but they tend to keep in good shape if you use them normally anyway.

Be a little bit leery of the trailer brake, as there is always a chance that the trailer doesn’t have spring brakes…

To be truthful, the air brake endorsement makes more of a deal of it than is entirely truthful. The system hasn’t altered that much over the years and is simplicity itself. The draining of the airtanks is not that necessary as the air dryers take the moisture out. But wait till winter.

Robert, the age limit would be, in theory, 18, but truthfully, you have to have the 2 years experience on the road and, as you can’t drive till you are 21 in the UK, that would make it 23 at least.

why dont you try fuel hauling? I did it for several years for one long established company in Calgary Alberta and found it OK…winters are a bit unpleasant.Most companies will give you the choice of what you want to do…city or highway…I worked the three western provinces and four NW US states…I did jet and oil…probably a better start than cattle hauling