Canada - what is the chances of

was just wandering whats the chances of getting a job in canada (or anywhere really abroad) driving a garbage truck. Its what I do now in UK. Or how about rigid work? (as i’ve only got class 2 licence) is rigid called straight axle or something different in north america? cheers

It’s called a straight truck over there. I heard rumours of rigid drivers being wanted in the mid-western provinces, no idea if that will help you get a visa tho.

There are jobs for you in Alberta in the oil fields. You can qualify as a skilled worker (oil field) as a vaccuum truck friver. Good pay. Usually camp jobs, two weeks in and a week out. The pay should be more than $20. an hour. You will need special safty tickets for H2S and confined space which will set you back a few hundred bucks. You will have to take these courses in Canada which takes a couple of days. If you have any questions, give me a PM and I’ll help you search for some employers.

hello nicholas,
yes thats sounds like interesting work, where would i find an employer? i sent you a pm btw cheers

On this forum, I read that workers can now get work permits in Alberta under 'skilled workers". This would be for pipe fitters, welders and probably also cooks. It includes oilfield workers, and the oil field uses many truck drivers. Trucks are often used for hauling crude oil from oil wells. They also have to use many vaccuum trucks.

I suggest that you first have a read here, and then maybe do a search on the net. albertacanada.com/immigratio … e/pnp.html

Once you know what you have to do and are then qualified, you have to find a company to offer you a job. Once you have the job offer, you and your employer have to fill in the forms and provide the documents you need.

Most of these vaccuum truck jobs are far from large towns. As I have said before, most people like yourself are not going to get the best jobs at first.

Though you moght only have a rigid truck licence now, I would suggest getting you full licence while you’re in the UK.

There are also jobs for waste removal in the oilfields.

I will try and find some links for you as to who some of these companies are. You should take a trip out there for a week or so and go and meet with some of these companies and see what the work is like.

You can also do wireline work. Such search for wireline operators and you will get the picture.