Canada to California Diary with pics whole trip now

Right then here goes now that premod is over here`s another trip i made in January for those of you who like to see the job out here.
Day 1
Into work and on the road for 8am heading over to Portage la Prairie MB to collect a load of oat flour going to Frito Lay which is Walkers crisps out here going to there plant in Modesto California.
A nice warm start to the day :laughing:

Soon loaded and ready for the off

Make my way across the Trans Canada Hwy 1 throu Saskatchewen, 2 53ft trailers, not for me thank you

Double stacked container Choo Choo

Parked up for the evening in a rest area at Walsh Alberta
13 hr day covered 1036 kms 10 hrs driving.

Day 2
On the road for 7.30am and make my way to the border crossing at Sweetgrass Montana throu in no time at all and head south on I15, its a nice place to drive throu Montana

A quick stop for fuel in Great Falls MT then push on south down to Idaho Falls ID for the evening
12hr day covered 1043 kms 10.25hrs driving.

Day 3
Leave Idaho Falls ID at 6.15am a nice easy drive down to Wells Nevada, had some more snow on the way, thought Nevada was in a desert so whats with the snow :confused:

Spot of lunch in Wells then head west across the deserts of Nevada on I80

Time for a truck wash in Reno NV as it must be clean before going into California :unamused:

All nice and clean in a moody evening shot :unamused:

11hr day covered 984 kms 9.25hrs driving

Day 4

A nice lie in sees a 10am start to the day no rush as i am not booked into my drop 11pm but should get tipped when there late shift starts at 4pm fingers crossed :laughing: Start of the day is running over the Donna Pass from Nevada into California a stunning drive and the weathers clear so no snow chain laws on thank god :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: A few pics of the pass run ![](https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/168611_10150093523048491_715323490_6080318_936695_n.jpg) ![](https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/168132_10150093523203491_715323490_6080323_2039056_n.jpg) been quite deep in places the snow ![](https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/167940_10150093523593491_715323490_6080331_6334636_n.jpg) ![](https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/164177_10150093524553491_715323490_6080350_1766746_n.jpg) Brake check area on the top ![](https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/179036_10150093524163491_715323490_6080342_2083983_n.jpg) Not far now just south of Sacramento a bit ![](https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180771_10150093524228491_715323490_6080343_3592968_n.jpg) Old Skool quality :sunglasses: ![](https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/164158_10150093524343491_715323490_6080345_112869_n.jpg) A couple of hrs passed in the Flying J at Ripon CA weathers warmed up nice now after the start of the trip ![](https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180528_10150093524383491_715323490_6080346_8364192_n.jpg) Around to my drop ![](https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/164325_10150093524458491_715323490_6080348_3143561_n.jpg) tipped in no time and back to the J at Ripon as my reload is only 15 mile away and cant load untill the morning.
8hr day covered 390kms 4.5hrs driving

Day 5

A short run north get me into my reload at Lathrop CA
If i was collecting a load of diamonds then i could well understand, but FFS it was a dried dog food factory :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Soon loaded and on my way heading to Costco in Airdrie Alberta which will see me retrace my route back over the Donner pass and up into Canada
A few more pics throu Nevada

After a lunch break in Reno NV i push on to Wells NV for the evening.
12hr day covered 877 kms 8.5hrs driving.

Day 6

Run from Wells NV to Great Falls MT, an uneventful day apart from the weather getting back to more like winter still was nice while it lasted
It`ll soon seem like a waste of the $65 it cost to have the truck clean for just a couple of days

12 hr day covered 1029 kms 10.25 hrs driving

Day 7

Another nice lie in untill 10am as its sunday and i can`t tip untill monday
Moody looking sky on the way back north

Another break, it must be from my BRS days :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So i make it from Great Falls MT upto Airdrie AB and park in the Costco yard ready for a 6.30am delivery.
8 hr day covered 552 kms 5.5 hrs driving.

Day 8

No problems here at Costco Airdrie they have a really good system for trucks delivering into there rdc here in and out within the hour :smiley:
A quick call to the office see`s me with my next job, a load of animal bedding from Olds AB going to Regina SK.
On the bay in Olds, nice light load this one for a change.

There was a nasty storm the night before on the route i took across AB/SK and there were plenty wrecks about, going to take a bit to get this poor chap out the ditch

Get as far as Chamberlain SK for the night
13hr day covered 874 kms 8.5 hrs driving.

Day 9

On the road for 8am and just a hours drive to my delivery,
i spoke with the customer who gave me some very good directions to there horse breeding farm 6k on this gravel road 3.5 k on that gravel road and so on, as you can see from the pic there are no gravel roads to farms in the winter in Canada :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Get to it in the end and soon have the load off

Another call to HQ and i am on my way the short distance upto Regina for a load back to Winnipeg MB :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Loading for home :smiley:

Now in great need of a wash :cry:

Some more Old Skool Cabover quality spotted in Regina SK

Make way back to our yard fuel and wash then put it away untill the next trip

13hr day covered 783 kms 7.75hrs driving

Hope you`ve enjoyed reading as i enjoyed the driving :laughing: untill next time stay safe out there

Nice one, some great pics there.

Looking forward to the details of the return trip.

A wonderful read and also excellent pictures , will be waiting for the next chapter
once more many thanks , and yes i am jealous :grimacing: and wish that I could turn
the clock back 29years for myself , please keep posting as many people do read
the diary’s and enjoy although they do not post a comment often,

Great pictures.

That’s the kind of thing we like to see! Nice one… :wink:

Thanks for the comments chaps, i`ve now added the return trip just edited it on to the first post hope its ok for you all cheers

The hours readout on the dial, is that to keep track for servicing? And what’s the deal with California about cleaning the truck?

44 Tonne Ton:
The hours readout on the dial, is that to keep track for servicing? And what’s the deal with California about cleaning the truck?

Just a hour counter they use the mlg for servicing, not sure about the cleaning thing as they have some right crap in there running around in there i just got told you need it clean which i am happy with anyhow :smiley:

According to the great Google that was about 4,300 miles and should have taken you 3 days and 2 hours but you kept stopping ya cissy! I had a look at your route, it seems fairly sparsely populated along most of it’s length and there’s not much sign of traffic in your pics, HEAVEN!

the crap in california about clean trucks…you can and will get a ticket for a dirty trailor from chips… :imp:
you can explain about leaving canada & running down in a blizard ,…point is they are truck hating bs .,
you can be running with usa trucks and 9 out of 10 times the canadian will be pulled,
My old running buddy is a us citizen driving for a canadian company even he hates going to california …no engine idling alowed at all…unless you have a pet dog with you!!..you are not allowed to let the dog suffer. but the driver can boil for all they care! not good if you dont have a power pack. That time i had hand cleaned all the marker tape ,boards, lights .but the trailor was filthy, got off with a warning …told my boss dont bother sending me back down south again & did the rest of my time with the company running SKAB kitchen craft circuits
sorry neal rant over lol.
jimmy…

I wouldn’t take any crap from him!

HAVE just reread the addition of the return Journey and it was
excellent , thanks a lot , i have one or two questions what type if
any of heater system do you use and do you have a auxiliary
power for the air condition / heater when you are parked up
and are not allowed to run your engine,

great diary, thanks. the scenery looks amazing! looking at the truck, why don’t they make the cab area as wide as the living area? is it cramped while you’re driving?

So let me get this right. You pick up a load of flour in Canada and drive it all the way to California? And as I recall, isn’t the GVW something like 32 metric tonnes thus meaning you’re effectively limited to around 17-18 tonnes load?

Surely it’d be cheaper to send it by rail?

Great pics and a nice motor you got there. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Great pics and a good read thanks for sharing this with everyone! :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to post your diary it was a excellent and a great insight into truck driving in Canada and the States. Spent a short time in Montana myself and my son was in Uni in Bozeman and the two of us loved everything about the Big Sky.

Look forward to future diarys.

I think you’ve made everyone on this side of the pond very jealous.

Regards.

Dave

nianiamh:
Thanks for the comments chaps, i`ve now added the return trip just edited it on to the first post hope its ok for you all cheers

That’s a top quality diary and pics.

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to post it all up for us. :smiley:

Good read and nice pics. :slight_smile: Where is all the traffic â– â– ? In every pic of every county you go through you have the entire road to yourself. :open_mouth:

Looking forward to next week.

brit pete:
HAVE just reread the addition of the return Journey and it was
excellent , thanks a lot , i have one or two questions what type if
any of heater system do you use and do you have a auxiliary
power for the air condition / heater when you are parked up
and are not allowed to run your engine,

I`ve got one of these fitted to my motor pete thermoking.com/promo_ads/TriPac_Brochure.pdf