Canada NEEDS drivers, now, and in the future

Hello Everyone.

My name is Jim Bunting, I live in Toronto. Canada.

I’m NOT a recruiter, or an agent for a driver hiring company

. Just a Canadian guy who wants to help UK drivers to find out about the job situation in Canada for HGV drivers.

I can help you with information from my own knowledge, or point you to information websites that have accurate and up to date facts about the Immigration process and the trucking industry in my country.

A bit about me. I’m 61, born in Toronto and now retired after having served 30 years in the Canadian Armed Forces from 1966 to 1996, when I retired at age 50. I was a Military Police investigator, and have been stationed in all 10 of the Canadian Provinces as well as postings in Germany, Belgium ( NATO HQ ) Cyprus and Bosnia. When I retired, I spent 6 years "on the road " in Canada and the USA , operating my own one ton Ford van as a "expeditor " doing emergency high value deliveries, under contract to Dynamex in Cambridge, Ontario, so I do have direct "hands on " North American experience in the trucking business.

Canada is the second largest country in the world, only Russia is bigger than Canada is. It encompasses six times zones, and is more than 5,000 MILES across, from the Atlantic to the Pacific oceans. BUT the populatioin is only HALF that of the UK at 33 million people.

So what does that mean to a HGV driver? Lots of SPACE on the roads, with little if any congestion, once you leave the cities behind. A national highway system that was DESIGNED for rapid movement of vehicles, and not one that evolved from wagon trails 500 years ago. Trucks that are designed for the open roads and have creature comforts that are rarely seen in Europe. Companies that treat the drivers as humans and pay them for their skills and their ability to think as well as drive.

Canada is the "new world " and one of the first things that UK vistors to my country remark on is " Every one is so friendly here ". " It"s so clean no graffitti " and of course, "look at all the new homes and stores here " Canada has been a Immigrant destination for more than 300 years, and of course it was a British crown colony, until we obtained our independance in 1867. Our laws, social life and Government /Parliament are all based on British common law principles, BUT we have also forged our own way of doing things that is a mixture of the British past and some things borrowed from our neighbours in the USA, next door.

My own ancestors came to Canada in 1801, 206 years ago, from Northern Isreland. They were 3 brothers , and their wives and kids, 14 people in total, who were given free land grants in Canada. They had a very rough time of it and it took them about 8 years to get established, after cutting down 150 foot tall oak and elm tress to build their first cabins in the forest 60 miles to the northwest of what is now the city of Toronto. Those first 330 acres of land are now a part of our family farm operation, which is now over 800 acres in size, and has a dairy and beef cattle herd as well as apple and cherry orchards.

In the next ten years, Canada will need at least 50,000 HGV drivers to replace those that are now nearing retirement age. In addition, Canada is STILL growing at a amazing pace. With such a huge country, with such vast distances, we NEED drivers, of all kinds.

So, if you have ever thought about moving to Canada, but didn’t know where to go to get information, ASK me here. If I know, I’ll tell you what I know. If I don’t now the answer to your question, I’ll find out for you and put the answer here.

To start the ball roling here is the main Government of Canada, Immigration information website, SAVE the website for future refference and READ it thru, to see what the requirements are to be accepted to come to Canada. As a HGV driver you would be applying under the "Skilled Worker " class

Remember that Canada has strict rules about who can enter the country and Immigration applicants have to score a minimum of 67 points on the pre test to be "considered for acceptance “. The main items are " Educational levels " “work experience /number of years worked,” and skill certficates and personal and business letters of refference” No persons with criminal convictions or bankruptcies will be considered , and you will need to be able to bring enough cash or credit , to support your self for a year in Canada.

cic.gc.ca/english/

Cheers Jim Bunting. Toronto.

Great post.

In Ontario they do not have the PNP though, do they? Also, it is worth saying that, under HRSDC regulations, you do not need any money or credit to get a work visa. You will need either cash, credit or assets to get nominations and PR though.

Also, there is some way of getting a pardon for some criminal offences but I am not sure how that works.

bobthedog:

Ontario has very recently joined the PNP program, in October 2007, I think.

You are correct about “WP” holders not having to have the same amount of financial backing as a PR applicant does.

Re a UK pardon for past convictions, I’d suggest looking at the UK home office website, or do a Google search. I know that here in Canada it takes 5 years of "good behaviour " before you can apply for a Pardon, and the process is about a year long , start to finish.

How are you getting along in Manitoba ?.

Jim B. Toronto.

What about the eastern and maritime Provinces.Are they in the programme.

Lomgwayround:

Yes, all of the Canadian Provinces are now part of the Provincial Nomination Program.

Here is the official Canadian Government’s information website about the PNP plan.

cic.gc.ca/English/immigrate/ … /index.asp

Jim Bunting. Toronto.

That’s good news about Ontario. It should make things a little easier for some of the firms there now.

I’m loving it here. I am quite happy to stay in MB for the rest of my days. It isn’t everyones cup of tea but it certainly beats the UK.

When I did the Nomination paperwork, the money only needed to be assets. Because I put $15000 in downpayment on the house, and we had chattels from the UK, that was accepted.

It gets a little confusing but it works out ok.

Canadiancitizen:
Lomgwayround:

Yes, all of the Canadian Provinces are now part of the Provincial Nomination Program.

Is it not right that maybe all Provinces have a PNP but not all Provinces have “truck driving” as a qualifying category within their PNP programme :question:

Am I not right in thinking that Ontario has only an “experimental” PNP programme with only 500 places and none of them are for “truck driving” :question:

I think that’s the way I read it, apparently Ontario has a provisional PNP programme that started quite a while ago, yet you can still only get visa based work in ontario as a truck driver, not work towards a sponsorship, British Columbia and Quebec were the same.

the official word i got from ontario was that the pnp was going to be reassessed for year two and may well include longhaul but they didn’t give a date etc.
theres already plenty of companies there willing to hire uk drivers if you don’t mind going on a temp wp and waiting until you eventually get on the pnp, weather you can afford to buy a property on the wages is another thing and how much financial help you’ll get out of those companies as regards getting overthere etc would have to be negotiated.

Great post Jim.

As a Canadian and someone who has also lived in the UK, Canada for the most part is a great place to move to.

I have made a few posts about moving to Canada, and it’s not for everyone. The first few years might not go as you had hoped, but if you keep with it, it has a good chance to being your bowl of cherries.

Many of you now have a chance to come, work, live and make Canada your home. Take a chance. This Canadian welcomes you.

NICK:

You make a good point , when you say that it isn’t a case of get off the plane and falling into a great job, the first week in Canada. It takes planning, research and intelligent thought , before hand and after arrival.

Immigrating, to ANY new country , takes a combination of steadyness, being able to LEARN new stuff and being an optomist, and most importantly, the backing of your family. Nothing ruins the plan faster than a spouse who is not 1000 percent "On side with the plans ".

Out of every 100 people who come to Canada, there will be 10 to 15 percent who "go home " ( where ever that may be ) in the first 3 to 5 years. WHY ? Un-realistic expectations and a direct lack of proper planning and preperation.

My best suggestion is this…Go for a 2 week vacation, and LOOK around , and TALK to people, in any type of work, to find out WHAT they THINK about living IN Canada. Personal conversations wil be the key to finding out the real magic of this place. Freedom and lots of space to breath and grow, thats the best part about my Canada.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.