Canada good or bad idea

Hi all just new to this site so looking for a little help. Im not long out the HM forces and have been doing trunking and agency work but landed a full time job doing heavy recovery. its not bad but spend most of the time in the workshop (im was a heavy mec in the forces). Just wanted to know if its its worth looking for work in canada/usa. I dont mind the move and ive no kids yet so relocation should not be a big issue. :slight_smile:

If you like making your own decisions,and not being stuck in traffic it’s a good place to be a truck driver. :smiley:

Plenty of info here:
britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118
and hours of reading on this one thread here:
britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443355 :wink:

Also if you have a partner make sure she will be happy not seeing you and being on her own for anything from a min of 6 days to as much as 16 days at a time when your on “Long haul” down the road. :open_mouth:

If you want to go to Canada to drive truck and not do long haul and be home every night look here:
britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478714 :sunglasses:

Big Truck:
:

Also if you have a partner make sure she will be happy not seeing you and being on her own for anything from a min of 6 days to as much as 16 days at a time when your on “Long haul” down the road. :open_mouth:

:sunglasses:

what is wrong with your wife travelling in the truck , in the states most companies have a rider program dont know about Canada.
propshaft

Thanks for your previous replies, have spoken to my partner and we’ve come up with a couple of ideas. She’s thinking about getting her license too - making sence for the two man runs. any other advice out there?

i think you will find that you partner will be more than welcome to ride along,its a done thing in north america.
the double man runs dont exist in north america its team driving,team driving is not a good choice of jobs in my opinion,teams drive like hell,they only stop for fuel and food normlly this is done at the same time,what you should be looking at if your partner wants to drive is super b drivers,ie you do the lions share and you partner does 4/5 hours a day driving.

Oh I don’t know, Vast. We have a couple of husband/wife teams on here and they do ok. I don’t like the idea myself, and i don’t think the money is that great really, but they seem to enjoy it mostly.

well bob,i dont like double manning at all,i dont even like taking out mentees but i do it to help the mentees get on the road quicker.
that thing the canadians have going super b, or super single driving seems a better deal for man and partner at the start, ie, vancouver to toronto in one big lump is not my idea of fun.

Team driving is like anything else in trucking.If you are getting the run you want it can work out well.I know one couple who run from New Jersey to Colorado on a weekly basis.Takes them 4 days there and back and they get a three day weekend at home.
Nowdays you see lots of older couples driving together.Their kids have left home so presumably there is nothing tying them down.

What ever team drivers get paid remember it is expensive living on the road,buying meals everyday for 2 people.In truck cooking probably isn’t going to be an option with the wheels constantly turning.