Can you tie a dolly knot?

Just browsing the “Old Time Companies and Drivers” forum and this question came up. I’m not asking if you can rope and sheet, or if you ever have, but simply if you can tie a dolly knot. Just for fun, it doesn’t count towards your DCPC hours or anything. :laughing:

Rhythm Thief:
Just browsing the “Old Time Companies and Drivers” forum and this question came up. I’m not asking of you can rope and sheet, or if you ever have, but simply if you can tie a dolly knot. Just for fun, it doesn’t count towards your DCPC hours or anything. :laughing:

It would probably take me 7 hours, is there really no way to get it to count? :cry:

I did learn it for my mod 4, no chance of doing it now though!

Had to learn it for my initial DCPC

learnt 35 years ago spending time where my dad worked and never forgot

I’ve been doing it for years. You get some funny looks, especially off the foreigners.
I would often run out of straps. I think they got lonely, That’s the only explanation, Surely people wouldn’t steal them.
Anyway, Roping down a load of axles really created an audience, and the never moved.
Funnily enough, If vosa see a good roping job they leave you alone.

Simple Answer- Yes.

when I started all we had was flats so yes

was shown @ 30 yrs ago , and thought I had "got it " the following day I had forgotten :frowning: :frowning: . I have tried following videos on you tube using boot lace and kitchen cupboard handles and … a bloody knot appears ■■? would love to know though , but as my vote shows too embarrassed to admit it :smiley:

I started driving when everything was roped, chained, or roped and sheeted, so the answer is yes.

I could tie a lot of dolly knots … and have them all in a nice neat row :slight_smile:

I actually miss the art of roping and sheeting, and the satisfaction you got at a job well done …
then I think back to all the times I ended up like a frozen drowned rat, and I don’t miss the art of roping and sheeting :slight_smile:

Yes i can :sunglasses: if you want practice go to swains or montgomerys :laughing: there you will get plenty of practice! :smiley: and believe it or KNOT :wink: I’ve not had to do one for over twenty one years! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Yep…and a double when you wanted to really put some uuuumph into it, and a spreader when a hook was missing, and making sure that they were all level by lining all the eyes up, had to look neat and tidy, pride in the job. Had to learn how to splice the ends, and make the eyes on a lenght of rope, or join two together…it was also handy to have a very sharp knife to cut them when they’d frozen solid mid winter… :wink:

Just away to say PAH I can do a double dolly then noticed fergie beat me to it.
Thank goodness my days of dollys are over!

most drivers will have to learn for cpc?
well I had to for my initial cpc

Yes, I’m almost certain I could fold a sheet correctly as well (lifting it onto the top of the load would be doubtful) very rarely see flats anymore, I did coils mostly, easy enough sheet the bed when tipped to keep it dry then later I used coil carrying bulk tipper trailers with a sliding canopy awesome bit of kit.

Fergie47:
it was also handy to have a very sharp knife to cut them when they’d frozen solid mid winter… :wink:

Or even when they were soaking wet when someone roped and put a stopper dolly on ( where you couldn’t slip the dolly ) and really pulled tight drive all day when the sun had come out and had piano wires when you got to your delivery point ping ping ping proper rope not the nylon stuff

Yes. I learned 35 years ago and was called upon to do a couple 4 months ago. Strangely enough, I could only remember how to do it if I didn’t look at the rope while I did it. :confused:

Sometimes had up to 20 drops of ‘groupage’ for all over on a 20ft flatbed before the days it was called ‘multi drop’, very nice with rain running down your neck and up your arms when tying them and could never do it with gloves on either so yes I can and still use them at times.

syramax:
was shown @ 30 yrs ago , and thought I had "got it " the following day I had forgotten :frowning: :frowning: . I have tried following videos on you tube using boot lace and kitchen cupboard handles and … a bloody knot appears ■■? would love to know though , but as my vote shows too embarrassed to admit it :smiley:

Ha ha ! It’s Magic !
The rule is-
You have to tie a Million Dolly’s, then you will remember, a thousand is not enough for the brain to remember ! LOL

youtu.be/hLb1oP45esU

Hey presto!