Can you settle a debate

Whats your views on this.
When we come to renew our car insurance we get asked if any accidents or claims in the last 5 years (regardless of fault)
So if a driver has a bump in the truck to blame or not is that then declared and effects said drivers car insurance?

I know in certain cases drivers have had their professional categories suspended for various offences and still been able to drive car. Is this across the board or are you licence categories just seperated when it suits the powers that be ?

usersteve:
Whats your views on this.
When we come to renew our car insurance we get asked if any accidents or claims in the last 5 years (regardless of fault)
So if a driver has a bump in the truck to blame or not is that then declared and effects said drivers car insurance?

I know in certain cases drivers have had their professional categories suspended for various offences and still been able to drive car. Is this across the board or are you licence categories just seperated when it suits the powers that be ?

I believe this to be the case

The car insurance company wants to know if you have had any CAR incidents NOT any work related vehicle ones

When a company claims on their insurance the drivers name is not listed as the claimant

Licence related incidents such as speeding etc relate to both

Just seen this on an IAM weekly bulletin = other private or commercial insurers may adopt similar policies

IAM Surety adopts a zero tolerance policy towards penalty points for mobile phone usage whilst driving

The risk of using mobile phones while driving has been very prominent in the media recently, following the tragic quadruple fatality caused by an HGV driver using a phone at the wheel, From this point forward our insurer, IAM Surety, will be unable to offer our exclusive ‘members only’ insurance scheme to any members who obtain points for using a phone while driving. This will be a permanent exclusion. Please do be sure to inform your local groups, so everyone understands the position. We support this positive step towards making using a mobile phone while driving socially unacceptable.

So a motorbiking accident wouldnt effect car insurance either or vice versa?
Just something me and 2 other drivers got chatting about and we all have different opinions

The TC has the power to revoke or suspend any C & D categories on a licence but does not have the power to do the same with A & B categories which is why when a LGV driver does something stupid in a LGV that bit gets targetted by the TC

The basic B licence gets given to a driver by the DVSA/DVLA but C & D categories must ALSO be sanctioned by the TC

usersteve:
So a motorbiking accident wouldnt effect car insurance either or vice versa?
Just something me and 2 other drivers got chatting about and we all have different opinions

Private or commercial is the issue not different categories because they are under two different insurers

Ok i get that but if our car licence and truck licence are effectively governed by different people. Why would insurance claims or points clash between the 2. Should they not be seperate across the board.

Example driver caught speeding in car 3 points potentially effect employment.

Driver caught speeding in truck. X points, car insurance increase, effects employment.

Of course breaking the law in the truck is and should be dealt with more seriously but surely its wrong that one effects the other if both categories are otherwise seperate

The insurance company ask if you have been involved in ANY motoring accident in the previous 5 (or 3) years. Not telling them about a shunt in a truck, gives them room to turn round when you need to claim, saying you did not disclose it, and invalidate your insurance. Best to mention it, and see what they say. If your provider takes the ■■■■ with your renewal premium, shop around.

the nodding donkey:
The insurance company ask if you have been involved in ANY motoring accident in the previous 5 (or 3) years. Not telling them about a shunt in a truck, gives them room to turn round when you need to claim, saying you did not disclose it, and invalidate your insurance. Best to mention it, and see what they say. If your provider takes the ■■■■ with your renewal premium, shop around.

How would the insurer of a private car ever get to find out about a commercial lorry incident :question:

the nodding donkey:

That’s what My understanding is. But I think that if you didn’t disclose an incident where you were the non fault driver, then at a later point the Insurer tried to wriggle out of a subsequent claim through the non disclosure clause, they might be on a sticky wicket, as you would justifiably be able to argue that a claim where you are the third party does not materially effect your competence as a driver. Though a claim against your insurer, by a third party, would insinuate a lack of competence as a driver at the time of the incident, and thus they then assess your risk quota on that, and would maybe say that had they known they may well have declined to insure you.

There was a case recently, where the owners of a ship were claiming for something, and the Insurer refused to pay out stating that some piece of information had not been disclosed, thus invalidating the insurance policy. The Courts decided that as the said piece of non disclosure was of no material effect to the claim at hand, the Insurer could non invalidate the policy, and had to pay up :wink:

ROG:

the nodding donkey:

How would the insurer of a private car ever get to find out about a commercial lorry incident :question:

They have started requesting driver licence numbers on claim forms, so when said claim goes in, the run the number through a joint motor insurance data base and bingo :unamused: :unamused:

Absolutely. Go read your insurance policy, it states ANY claim. As Eddie said a work claim now goes on the database so not disclosing it will give them wiggle room to cancel your policy retroactively when you do need it.

When I’m renewing my car or bike insurance I don’t disclose non-fault accidents. The first and last time I disclosed a non-fault accident it cost me 4 years no claims. No thank you.

Nobby_Clarke:
When I’m renewing my car or bike insurance I don’t disclose non-fault accidents. The first and last time I disclosed a non-fault accident it cost me 4 years no claims. No thank you.

Do what you like, no skin off my teeth, just don’t come in here complaining when the insurance company refuses to pay out because you didn’t disclose your claims. In the old days you could get away with it, not anymore. All insurance companies use a central database to check your record.

ROG:

the nodding donkey:

Are you really that out of touch?

wheelnutt:

Nobby_Clarke:

Do what you like, no skin off my teeth, just don’t come in here complaining when the insurance company refuses to pay out because you didn’t disclose your claims. In the old days you could get away with it, not anymore. All insurance companies use a central database to check your record.

And they don’t ask for your licence number unless you make claim, so they’ll take your premium and run as soon as the nondisclosure comes to light :open_mouth:

had a very minor bump in my truck some years ago turned out to be a crash for cash and the damage and amount of occupants claimed for in no way related to what happend resulting in the whole claim being thrown out . thought nothing of it for three years untill having renewed my insurance with anew company they cancelled my insurance due to me not informing them of this incident as it came up on there computer as a claim .i was away on holiday when they did this so never saw or recieved the email result driving home pinged by ANPR stopped by jock plod six point £280 fine and a nightmare time at every renewal since and nearly lost my job ! also had to pay £400+ at the side of the road to an insurance company to allow me to drive home .so yes it can come back and bite you be very very carefull as the insurance will find anything to throw out a claim as they go through things with a fine tooth comb

the nodding donkey:

ROG:

the nodding donkey:

Are you really that out of touch?

No because the commercial insurance claim lists the company as the claimant not the driver so the name of the driver does not get listed on the database

Insurance companies…

Another industry that in the last two decades has turned from something we all accepted and on occaision valued and were in turn, sometimes rewarded for our loyalty. To a bunch of money grubbing twisters who will deny payment for the most spurious of reasons. ‘We won’t pay out for that becuase your car is blue, therefore under the policy terms it’s not covered and you really should read ALL of our small print’. Their latest cop out being penalized for non-fault accidents and accidents at work.

Total and utter b******s the lot of 'em.

i don’t mind companies making a profit, that’s what makes the world go round but profiteering is another matter

Theres a thread on here somewhere about it. Someone knocked a farm building in a truck. Claim went through insurance. Then there car insurance was voided for not declaring an accident upon renewal.

Also the agaency i work for issued a statement about it, ANY that is ANY accident in a work vehicle that goes through insurance will be on the database and has to be declared when insuring personal car. Up to anyone if they do or not but as i said there is somone on here who had there insurance cancled for it.

After the storms of 87, Mum and Dad had some damage to out buildings, well the whole gable end had come down. So the assessor came out, filled out his report and went away, a week or 2 later the old Man got a letter stating that the property had been under insured and that the claim would not proceed, not so fast thinks the old man, he still had the original property report from which the insurance agent had valued the policy a few years earlier(being a not bog standard property they’d had a surveyor to do it), so he gets onto the insurance people and starts putting in a few why’s and what fors, so the agent is sent out, and takes a copy of the report, after another couple of weeks they had to admit they were in the wrong, as though the property was under insured, it was their fault, so they paid up :wink: and honoured the premium for remainder of the term :wink:

All this wriggling out of paying has been going on for years :unamused: