Can you remember

ok, ok. i will put you out of your misery mal.

I HAVE,NT GOT A CLUE.
thats why i asked. :wink:

right , i have a book called the world encyclopedia of trucks and here are some facts mentioned in it.
1.1909, knox fifth wheel patented.
2.1909, first air suspension tried on commercial vehicles.
3.1919, ■■■■■■■ begins engine production.
4.1924,first rigid six wheelers announced.
5.1924,man announce worlds first direct injection diesel engine.
6.1928, hydraulic brakes introduced on trucks.
7.1929, air brakes for trucks.
8.1929, first british built diesel truck, the kerr stuart.
9.1930, first rigid eight wheeler from sentinel.
10.1933,kenworth offer sleeper cab.
11.1937,sterling introduces tilt cab
12.1954, volvo introduces turbocharged diesel engines.
13.1960, syncromesh gearboxes appear on heavy trucks.
14.1962,first uk truck with tilt cab, the foden s24.
15.1986,abs introduced on trucks
16.1998, volvo introduces drivers airbag.

there is a picture of a 1973 volvo f88 which appears to have a tag axle :question:

That sounds like a good book Dave, I can feel a Xmas present coming on! …

Mal.

dave:
right , i have a book called the world encyclopedia of trucks and here are some facts mentioned in it.
:

Fascinating stuff, Dave.

If I was asked to guess when that stuff first appeared, I would have been out by several decades on all points.

Vince

cheers guys.
incidentally if you want a copy of this book you can get it of

www.amazon.co.uk

“world encyclopedia of trucks” author peter j davies.
its around £14.00.
275 odd pages, lots of pictures and facts and recommended by me.
ideal for all them hours on loading docks, which i dont do :smiley:
ps. i dont know the author :wink:

Craig 111:
I guess a Volvo F10 would be the one that you could tick almost all the boxes against, although it didn’t have disc brakes. The first heavy truck with discs was the Renault Magnum, or AE as I think it was called at the time. It only had them on the front axle, and I seem to remember they weren’t the most reliable of items - now that’ll prompt someone to come on here and tell us they had 500k out of their original set of discs!

Craig

But the F88 was by far earlier than the F10.

Twin steers seem to have first appeared in the 1930’s possibly from converted 4 wheelers, as do single tyred trailing axles, at least one of the latter,an AEC, remains in preservation. Back in 73(!), I was a drivers mate on Bedford KM twin steer skip loader.

I’m also aware of a late 50’s Atki 6 legger that had super singles on the front, and sleeper cabs were available on Ergo cabbed Leyland and AEC’s in the 60’s. A company called Anglo-Continental operated abroad with a high-roof version on a Mandator.

The first sleeper cab I can recall seeing was probably on a Merc 1418 of C&S from Birtley in the late 60’s. They also operated the first LHD UK registered wagon I saw, around 70/71 which was an F88. An F88 was also the first vehicle I heard about with a lifting trailing axle and that was from Finland delivering pork into Bolton one Saturday morning in late 68. My dad told me about it and could’nt believe they did’nt have double drive, coming from Finland. I can’t be certain but lifting axles may have been available from York/Primrose/Boys who did third axle add on conversions in the 60’s.

Regent/Texaco operated some Guy and AEC rigids in the 60’s which were called rear-steers though I dont know whether they were castor or positively steered and looked like a mid-lift of today and Foden had an experimental disc-braked 8 wheeler in the very early 60’s which as far as I know also remains intact.

[quote="Pat Hasler
But the F88 was by far earlier than the F10.[/quote]

Pat, I know that the F88 was earlier than the 10 (1965 vs 1977) but as I said I think the F10 would have been the first standard production truck to have met all those criteria, bar the disc brakes. I don’t believe that the F88 was offered on air from the factory. I’ve only ever driven refurbished 88s, so I’m not certain if they even had heated mirrors off the production line?

Craig

Been on Amazon, and saw a pretty big book called " Companion to British Road Haulage History" its listed with the other one Dave suggested, and I wondered has anyone got this book, or seen it? Is it good or bad?

Mal.

The book “Companion to British Road Haulage History” is in the form of an A-Z of every aspect of the the industry, a lot of names are mentioned and some omitted. It was put together with what information was or is available.At around £40 for over 400 pages it may seem dear but is well worth the money.

Craig,

I had an 88 in 76 before the F10 came out, believe me apart from no disc brakes etc it had everything the F10 had and yes it had the sane mirrors as the first F10’s.

16 speed with the overdrive lever sticking out of the dash, it may have been slightly more dated but even after the F10 came on the market and my company then bought 12 of them I still loved to get back in an 88 whenever I got the chance.

thanks for that info Boden, I might have that one for Xmas, and just treat meself to the cheaper one as well!

Mal.

dave:

I HAVE,NT GOT A CLUE.

first with spring brakes 1966 erf lv (photo on bubbs scrapbook pg 61)len greens ihad it when it was 4 yr old (good on ya bubs)revman(alan)

revman:

dave:

I HAVE,NT GOT A CLUE.

first with spring brakes 1966 erf lv (photo on bubbs scrapbook pg 61)len greens ihad it when it was 4 yr old (good on ya bubs)revman(alan)

It took 4 years to get that answer :stuck_out_tongue:

Was the first true twin steer the Michelotti cabbed Scammell Trunker in 1962. the Chinese 6 were not really a twin steer were they? they just had 2 steering front axles

i remember a bedford km “f” reg 1968 that had a york axle conversion that was on air and could be used for load transfer when the going got sticky not sure if it lifted clear of the ground

dave:
can you remember
the first truck to have a lift axle,
or twin steer,
disc brakes,
heated mirrors,
air suspension,
night heater,
a proper sleeper cab
a syncro box. :question:

The first truck I had back in about 1988 with most of those, namely, heated mirrors, night heater, proper sleeper cab, syncro box, was a DAF 1900 Turbo, which was about a year old. :grimacing: It also had, suspension seat, electric nearside window, good brakes, good engine, good mirrors, was comfy and well laid out and I loved it at the time. :grimacing:

dave:
1.1909, knox fifth wheel patented.
2.1909, first air suspension tried on commercial vehicles.
3.1919, ■■■■■■■ begins engine production.
4.1924,first rigid six wheelers announced.
5.1924,man announce worlds first direct injection diesel engine.
6.1928, hydraulic brakes introduced on trucks.
7.1929, air brakes for trucks.
8.1929, first british built diesel truck, the kerr stuart.
9.1930, first rigid eight wheeler from sentinel.
10.1933,kenworth offer sleeper cab.
11.1937,sterling introduces tilt cab
12.1954, volvo introduces turbocharged diesel engines.
13.1960, syncromesh gearboxes appear on heavy trucks.
14.1962,first uk truck with tilt cab, the foden s24.
15.1986,abs introduced on trucks
16.1998, volvo introduces drivers airbag.

there is a picture of a 1973 volvo f88 which appears to have a tag axle :question:

It was’nt Volvo that introduced turbocharging Saurer did it before Volvo?.

It seems that turbocharging came before that and was first used by MAN who fitted Turbocharged engines to the Danzig and Preussen.

swiss-ships.ch/berichte-buec … ems_en.htm

Hiya I think ERF fitted disc brakes in 1962 on a 8 legger model but they were recalled and drum brakes fitted. ERF also had a rear lift axle in 1970 althow it only lifted 2 inches.
In the early 1950s there was a firm in Yorkshire and you could get a tilt cab conversion on a GUY Otter.
Wheel nut I think your Scammell trunker would be a rear steer. ERF was building Chineese 6’s in the 50s that was two front steering axels both infront of the derv tank.The idea was to spread the weight as you could overload one front axel this was pre pallet days.and pre power steering days.
john

Chinese Six’s are the true Twin Steers, the Scammell Trunker was a twin rear steer same as the current 6x2 so called Twin Steers (no gap between the rear and second steer axle). Wagons like the Mammoth Minor fit into the Twin Steer category, other makes Foden, ERF and the Leyland Steer of course were produced at about the same time, it was soon discovered though that these units were poor on traction, hence we don’t see them anymore today. Franky.