Can they sack him?

My friends tachos are sent off to the FTA for analysis every so often. The company are unhappy with the number of infringements being generated due to overspeed on downhill sections. Am I not right that the HGV speed limit is 60 mph and the corresponding limit on motorways for buses and coaches not exceeding 12 metres in length is 70 mph? They have threatened to start disciplinary proceedings on anyone who does over 100 kph downhill on motorways. Is this legal or normal practice?

100 kph =62 mph= speeding
2 mph over is petty but its still speeding
just tell him to keep it down abit cos some companies will use any excuse to cull the drivers.

Im under the impression that the speed limit set by the speed limiter is the max that truck is allowed to do, if it goes over that for ■■ number of seconds it shows up as overspeed esp on the digi tachos… Think the offence is ‘Overspeed on speed limiter’

Forget 60mph, though its still law in the UK, VOSA etc go by the speed limiter…

Coddy:
Im under the impression that the speed limit set by the speed limiter is the max that truck is allowed to do, if it goes over that for ■■ number of seconds it shows up as overspeed esp on the digi tachos… Think the offence is ‘Overspeed on speed limiter’

i dont get an overspeed ifringment unless i go over 60 and our firm is keen on tachos. also been checked by vosa with overspeed on that day (58 mph) and nothing said. seems maybe depends on vosa guys mood

Truck I had the other day was limited to 52, was showing overspeed at 56, bloody pain in the arse… :confused:

Coddy:

I’d be surprised at that…

I let it run if I’m happy with the conditions and VOSA have never batted an eye lid.

To the extent I once got a prohibition cause the limiter was set above 90kph, I thought he was going on about the overruns, he replied that he wasn’t concerned about the 70mph blips.

To the OP, as been said, take it easy if the Co are looking to cull :unamused:

a digi tac will display overspeed but vosa wont care unless its over 60mph. my digi tac often says overspeed when i hold it at 58mph (never over 60) and my tachos are inspected EVERY week and i NEVER get a infringement about overspeed(I do get other infringments as im not perfect). its because a tacho thinks the limit is 90kph or whatever and doesnt take into account the limit on ENGLISH motorways. dated technology before it was introduced.

our digis [stoneridge] give you a over speed warning ,just clear it and you dont get a actual over speed infringement , well ive never had any mentioned to me.

Thanks for all replies… i forgot to mention in my absolute stupidness that its a coach he is driving not an HGV. My mistake!

What’s this 12m max length for 70 mph? I drive a tri ax 15m one and always let it fly on hills

Coddy:

i asked a mate’s brother who is an enforcment officer with vosa and he said that the while the speed limiter restricts the speed to 56mph for a lorry it does not mean that you will fined and givin points for doing 60mph on a motorway as that is the national speed limit for a hgv in the united kingdom.

They have threatened to start disciplinary proceedings on anyone who does over 100 kph downhill on motorways. Is this legal or normal practice?

It’s their bus m8,and if they say stay at x speed then that is their policy which you and the rest of your driver’s have to stick by.At the end of the day it’s not only you’s as drivers that get hit with a fine your company get hit with a bigger fine than you’s.So yes is the answer they can start disciplinary proceedings towards him and any other driver that breaks their rules,plus those that get 2 many infringements.wouldn’t think they could sack him,unless he has had more than most drivers.

Steve-o:
What’s this 12m max length for 70 mph? I drive a tri ax 15m one and always let it fly on hills

i think that applys only to the stgo lads with the wide and long loads

Begging for it! 60mph if PSV is longer than 12metres. :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Back that up with a link.

so all our coaches are illegal as they’re set to 100k?

Steve-o:

Peter Smythe:

Back that up with a link.

Check the highway code, it states not exceeding 12m :slight_smile:

direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr … /DG_070304

Cars & motorcycles
(including car-derived vans up to 2 tonnes maximum laden weight)
30 (48) mph (km/h)Built-up areas
60 (96) mph (km/h)Single carriage-ways
70 (112) mph (km/h)Dual carriage-ways
70 (112) mph (km/h)Motorways

Cars towing caravans or trailers
(including car-derived vans and motorcycles)
50 (80) mph (km/h)Single carriage-ways
60 (96) mph (km/h)Dual carriage-ways
60 (96) mph (km/h)Motorways

Buses, coaches and minibuses
(not exceeding 12 metres in overall length)
50 (80) mph (km/h)Single carriage-ways

Goods vehicles
(not exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)
30 (48)mph (km/h)Built-up areas
50 (80)mph (km/h)Single carriage-ways

Goods vehicles
(exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)
30 (48)mph (km/h)Built-up areas
40 (64)mph (km/h)Single carriage-ways
50 (80) mph (km/h)Dual carriage-ways
60 (96) mph (km/h)Motorways

I found it whilst teaching PCV Manager’s CPC. The notes are at work, but I have found:

books.google.com/books?id=9Adsev … t&resnum=1

so all our coaches are illegal as they’re set to 100k?

Doesn’t give you the automatic right to drive up to the limiter- though I can see what you mean!

Hope this helps :laughing:

sorry but even our piddly short coaches are still like 12.6m so that must be so out dated

Steve-o:
sorry but even our piddly short coaches are still like 12.6m so that must be so out dated

You’d be lucky to get even 50mph out of a Stagecoach bus :imp:
The one I drove yesterday had a whooping top speed of 45mph and the manager seemed to think 45mph was a perfectly acceptable speed for the A30 :unamused: