Can they do it

started a job in November 14, first day ‘induction’ turned out to be a one day dcpc training as another new starter needed 7 hours training to complete his course so he could work for the company, now myself and one other driver didn’t need this course but had to go along with it, now we all (3 of us started this day) had to sign to say that if you leave within 12 months you would be liable to pay £70 for the cpc course PLUS a days wage. Now the driver that needed the course lasted 2 weeks at the job (got stopped the cost’s, I guess), driver two lasted 2.5 months (got stopped the cost’s, defo) and I’ve just threw the towel in(3 month’s) and having to pay the cost’s, to me it stinks, the company has had 3 days wages for one mans work ‘the trainer’ and driver 2 and myself have had to pay for a dcpc course we didn’t need (yes I know it goes towards the next one, but I hope to be hanging my keys up by then).

Hope this makes sense, got my tin hat ready :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So three of you started this job and all three of you have jacked it in within three months. Must have been a pretty crappy job.
Oh and in answer to your question, if the employer was up front about you having to reimburse them for cost of the course etc and you willingly signed a contract to that effect then I would say yes they can.

As above, must be a ■■■■ company for all of you quit within 3 months. Be nice to know which.

chicane:
As above, must be a [zb] company for all of you quit within 3 months. Be nice to know which.

plenty other drivers have been and gone in this time aswell, not sure if I can name them as they might come on here :wink: , yellow scannies, fridge work, Portsmouth area

dreamlands2001:
had to sign to say that if you leave within 12 months you would be liable to pay £70 for the cpc course PLUS a days wage

If you signed it then yes they can. But if you ignore it and chuck the letters in the bin then it probably wont go any further. Its never a good idea to sign a “if you leave within X amount of time you owe us” letters. You dont know anything about them so how do you know you’ll last? But you dont need me to tell you that. When I got my PSV license First group paid for it all,right from medical to test. Didnt cost me a penny but the stipulation was you had to stay with them a minimum 12 months. I did but I know for a fact at least 70% of new passes chucked it. Some didn’t even do one shift. (First aren’t exactly the best company to work for!) Not sure how many paid the cost of training back (as per the contract) but im guessing not all that many.
For £70 I doubt they’ll send baliffs so me personally would ignore it.

But if you are paid retrospectively, they can withold the £70 from your wages.

If you have signed it, then that’s the deal, it’s pretty standard. We have it in our Ts&Cs, but then again hardly anyone leaves us or if they do, neither side wants to burn bridges, so we don’t generally pursue the costs.

Just thinking about this if they paid you for the day you will have paid tax on the money did they give it back, there was 3 of you that day and you have all left so how many do they train in a year.

mac12:
Just thinking about this if they paid you for the day you will have paid tax on the money did they give it back, there was 3 of you that day and you have all left so how many do they train in a year.

Not up to them to give the tax back. That will (hopefully) be sorted by HMRC at the end of the tax year. Of course, if the OP isn’t earning now, he will be due a good rebate for that as well.

The OP should check his tax at year end using one of the many tax checkers available online. HMRC and employers make mistakes and it is always YOUR responsibility to be sure you pay the correct amount of tax.

My point I’m trying to get across is a day’s ‘induction’ turned out to be a training because of driver one, if it had just been myself and driver 2 then we wouldn’t have incurred this £70 charge and just had a normal induction

I went back to a previous job because they don’t ask for reimbursement and did 3 DCPC sessions. Jacked when something better came along but I can understand why some people think this is wrong but hey ho, they were desperate for a driver and I wanted free DCPC sessions.

Best put it down to experience, onwards and upwards as they say.

It sounds like they have done it already so the answer would be yes. I’ve worked at places where this happens, one guy left & got no final pay, he’d agreed to do courses required by the company to work in certain areas. The thing was he never asked for them, the company needed someone & he did it, when he left the boss sent him a bill for £1000 for courses attended, he refused to pay, they said his pay would be kept back until he came in to discuss it but he refused to go back.
If you want to take it further go see an employment lawyer, they will usually give you 30 mins free to see if you have a case, rather than rely on the barrack room lawyers prevalent on this here site.

dreamlands2001:
My point I’m trying to get across is a day’s ‘induction’ turned out to be a training because of driver one, if it had just been myself and driver 2 then we wouldn’t have incurred this £70 charge and just had a normal induction

so why sign agreeing to charges …

So the company induction conforms to jaupt training ? so what did they teach you for that time ?

dreamlands2001:

However, you still got training and 7 hours towards your DCPC, that will be their argument.

dreamlands2001:

Look on the bright side. You’ve got 7hrs done you don’t need to worry about for the next CPC renewal.