Can Someone Answer Me This

In recent months Ive noticed foreign arctics displaying two registration plates on the rear of the trailer. One is their country of origin & the other being a British registration plate normally seen dangling down on either a chain or couple of zip ties.

Why the need for two registration plates■■?

Usually, it’s a foreign trailer being pulled by a UK tractor unit.

jonnyquango:
In recent months Ive noticed foreign arctics displaying two registration plates on the rear of the trailer. One is their country of origin & the other being a British registration plate normally seen dangling down on either a chain or couple of zip ties.

Why the need for two registration plates■■?

More than likely the original is fixed to the trailer and is difficult to remove.
Used to be tail lights and number plate board because the continental trailers had different wired electrics,plus a lot used palm couplings on the air lines,not the type we use, although they have now,dont know if thats because of EU regs
I used to find palms where a pain in backside they were not a clever fit if they had a bit of wear.

Most European countries require their trailers are registered, so the trailer actually has it’s own number plate. Sometimes
you also have the Tractor unit registration on the back of the trailer aswell, sometimes only just the trailer. It seems unique to the UK to not have a trailer registration plate, but only to have the tractor unit reg.

The plates on chains is what most of us British drivers used to do when we picked up a foreign tilt trailer, as many didn’t have a space for a tractor number plate, along with putting on our own bulbs and lenses.

muckles:
Most European countries require their trailers are registered, so the trailer actually has it’s own number plate. Sometimes
you also have the Tractor unit registration on the back of the trailer aswell, sometimes only just the trailer. It seems unique to the UK to not have a trailer registration plate, but only to have the tractor unit reg.

The plates on chains is what most of us British drivers used to do when we picked up a foreign tilt trailer, as many didn’t have a space for a tractor number plate, along with putting on our own bulbs and lenses.

Ahh, so that’s why I keep seeing e.g. Romanian unit pulling a Latvian trailer.

My first thought was that it was a way of dodging speeding tickets/ fines and the like :blush: :blush:

Just for some info, all private trailers need to be registered and MoTd as well, regardless of size.
Yes, the 750kg Erde type!
Cheers
Paul

The trailers you have seen may be doing port to port sub contracts, they collect them from UK ports, deliver it, and drop it back at the port, a shipping firms tractor tug will shunt it in the ferry.
I used to stay in Caen and my trailers were sent out to me, plenty of time to do the laundry and a relaxed meal in the Coin de Port Rouitiers.
A few UK drivers had homes in France and never went back to England.

sonflowerinwales:
Just for some info, all private trailers need to be registered and MoTd as well, regardless of size.
Yes, the 750kg Erde type!
Cheers
Paul

No, only trailers with an unladen weight of over 1020kg with powered braking systems need an MOT

If a member of Joe Public witness’s an articulated LGV involved in a RTC or an RTA at night then which VRN would he/she know what is what :confused:
If he/she seen the said LGV speeding off in the distance.
A few numbers on a yellow board flapping about on a bit of lavatory chain dosent really bide well does it.
Especially when you think when some hauliers use UK number style plates as their Trl plates as well.

The chains are to make it harder for speed ameras .might flip if u lucky

chester:
flapping about on a bit of lavatory chain dosent really bide well does it…

Quite apt for a poster who’s picture is from that advert in the lavatories :smiley: