Can someone advise me on the WTD rules please

I know that before 6 hours of work (lets ignore the driving hours regs for this question) you have to have a 15 minute break then have another 15 minute break before 9 hours.

My questions are as follows.

1, If my total working time from start of work to end is under 6 hours, do I need to have any breaks? I’m thinking no?

2, If I worked from 1pm - 4pm then had a 15 min break. I then have until 10:15pm to have another 15 min break. But, if I was going to finish work at 9pm do I need to have another 15 min break before 9pm? I’m thinking, i’ve had a 15 min break at 4pm to satisfy the 6 hour rule but as I’m not working to 9 hours I can get away with just the one 15 minute break. I haven’t done this yet, just something that’s popped into my head.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks

If working between 6 & 9 hours, breaks equaling 30 mins are to be taken.

If working over 9 hours, breaks equaling 45 mins are to be taken.

marshy1982:
I know that before 6 hours of work (lets ignore the driving hours regs for this question) you have to have a 15 minute break then have another 15 minute break before 9 hours.

You don’t need the second 15 minutes before 9 hours. The second 15 is required before exceeding 6 hours from the end of the first break or before the end of you shift, whichever comes first.

marshy1982:
My questions are as follows.

1, If my total working time from start of work to end is under 6 hours, do I need to have any breaks? I’m thinking no?

You do not.

marshy1982:
2, If I worked from 1pm - 4pm then had a 15 min break. I then have until 10:15pm to have another 15 min break. But, if I was going to finish work at 9pm do I need to have another 15 min break before 9pm? I’m thinking, i’ve had a 15 min break at 4pm to satisfy the 6 hour rule but as I’m not working to 9 hours I can get away with just the one 15 minute break. I haven’t done this yet, just something that’s popped into my head.

You would need the second 15 minutes before finishing at 9:00pm because working time between 6 and 9 hours requires 30 minutes of break in total. Finishing at 9:00pm would mean you starting that second 15 minutes no later than 8:44pm, to allow 1 minute of work between the end of the break and the end of your shift.