Can someome clear something up

No i’m not talking about STD’s . . . :unamused:

A ‘discussion’ broke out in the TO last week regarding daily rest.

It was the general opinion that if your NOT sleeping in the cab overnight then you have to have 11 off by law and cannot reduce to 9 but I’ve trawled the WTD as best I can and can’t find a shred of evidence that this is the case.

Any ideas?

That because it doesn’t, you can have a 9.

redbob:

It was the general opinion that if your NOT sleeping in the cab overnight then you have to have 11 off by law and cannot reduce to 9 but I’ve trawled the WTD as best I can and can’t find a shred of evidence that this is the case.

Any ideas?

yes that is correct, I know this cos my mate told me :smiley:

redbob:

Any ideas?

That’s because you’re looking in the wrong place. Daily rest periods are part of the tacho rules and not the WTD.

You need to look in 561/2006 to confirm this. Which you won’t be able to do because it’s ■■■■■■■■.

If it were true it would mean that on a day were you had a shift of over 13 hours you would have to sleep in the vehicle instead of going home. Even just 1 minute over 13 hours and it is not possible to take an 11 hour rest, you are using one of your reductions like it or not. Ask the idiots who say this nonsense how they would get round that.

I hope this helps.

if you have a reducer to have then you can use it when it best suits you whether your out or at home but who would want to do a 9 off at home lets face it we dont profit from a 9 off so why use your house like a transport cafe.

Yes, many drivers seem to think that if they work 13 hours and one minute, then take 11 hours off, that they have not taken a reduced rest when in fact they have. But as I’ve said before, I don’t consider that this is worded very well in the regulations.

The home or away bit for both daily and weekly rests was pre-digi tacho, now the tacho doesn’t know where you are, only country, so they had to modify the rules.

So you can now have 24hrs off at home, 9hrs off at home etc.

Now, I’ve always been willing to do 15hrs work, but I’m not willing to have 9hrs off at home. Technically by law, I have reduced my daily rest by working over 13hrs as was pointed out above, but that doesn’t mean I have to come to work with 6hrs kip (if I’m lucky), so will always have a minimum of 10hrs off at home.

Any TO that tells you to have 9hrs off at home can get their arse kicked, especially if you have a crash, not because it’s illegal, but it isn’t bloody safe.

waynedl:
Now, I’ve always been willing to do 15hrs work, but I’m not willing to have 9hrs off at home. Technically by law, I have reduced my daily rest by working over 13hrs as was pointed out above, but that doesn’t mean I have to come to work with 6hrs kip (if I’m lucky), so will always have a minimum of 10hrs off at home.

Any TO that tells you to have 9hrs off at home can get their arse kicked, especially if you have a crash, not because it’s illegal, but it isn’t bloody safe.

Can depend on circumstances Wayne. I only live a couple of miles from the yard, so it don’t bother me too much; bear in mind I don’t have to trek across a lorry park to get a shower and food which eats into your kipping time. Wouldn’t want to do it if I lived an hour’s drive away though, and luckily in my line of work I don’t get too many bare minimums.

gnasty gnome:

waynedl:

Can depend on circumstances Wayne. I only live a couple of miles from the yard, so it don’t bother me too much; bear in mind I don’t have to trek across a lorry park to get a shower and food which eats into your kipping time. Wouldn’t want to do it if I lived an hour’s drive away though, and luckily in my line of work I don’t get too many bare minimums.

Problem with going home isn’t just the travel - although that will cause adrenaline which means you can’t sleep straight away - but also the other distractions which prevent you from sleeping, the missus will always want something done, whether it’s her, the tap that’s dripping or whatever. 9hrs off from leaving the truck doesn’t leave much time for sleep, no matter how close you live.

waynedl:
The home or away bit for both daily and weekly rests was pre-digi tacho, now the tacho doesn’t know where you are, only country, so they had to modify the rules.

Nothing to do with the digi tacho, and you have always been able to take a reduced rest at home. The only thing that changed in April 2007 was the doing away with the reduced 36 weekly rest at home and 24 away and making it 24 regardless of location.

Coffeeholic:

waynedl:

Nothing to do with the digi tacho, and you have always been able to take a reduced rest at home. The only thing that changed in April 2007 was the doing away with the reduced 36 weekly rest at home and 24 daily away and making it 24 regardless of location.

Thought it changed in 2007, not 2011. And, like I said, whether that’s the actual reason for it or what, but a digi doesn’t record start and end locations, only country.

waynedl:

Coffeeholic:

waynedl:

Nothing to do with the digi tacho, and you have always been able to take a reduced rest at home. The only thing that changed in April 2007 was the doing away with the reduced 36 weekly rest at home and 24 daily away and making it 24 regardless of location.

Thought it changed in 2007, not 2011. And, like I said, whether that’s the actual reason for it or what, but a digi doesn’t record start and end locations, only country.

Typo, I was changing it as you posted.

True but there were no changes to daily rest because of the digi, it has always been possible to take reduced daily rest at home.

waynedl:

gnasty gnome:

waynedl:

Problem with going home isn’t just the travel - although that will cause adrenaline which means you can’t sleep straight away - but also the other distractions which prevent you from sleeping, the missus will always want something done, whether it’s her, the tap that’s dripping or whatever. 9hrs off from leaving the truck doesn’t leave much time for sleep, no matter how close you live.

Again as Gnasty Gnome said it depends on circumstance, I used to have a job were I was able to park my truck 5 minutes walk from my house, the TM used to try and plan my trips to go past my house in the evening so I could go home.
So going home for 9 hours was not a problem, and as I live on my own there is no nagging to get this done and that done.

waynedl:

+1

waynedl:

Even by having 10 hours off at home counts as a 9 anyway and may even prevent you getting home early on a weekend if you have to have 11 hours off 20 miles from home on your last shift.

I know of no laws that would cause a TO to get any part of his anatomy kicked for planning a reduced break if the operation demands it, but it isn’t the companies fault if you live an hour or more away from the job. If it has happened to me, I have slept in the lorry or in someone elses lorry at the yard.