Can somebody tell me

Hi all,

I am due to get my licence back in December 2010, I spoke to the DVLA this morning and they told me the only entitlements I would have on it are my car and my car plus trailer licence (so no 7.5t), and I wondered what the transit vans weigh? is it 3.5 tonne?

Also due to me having epilepsy do you think I will be able to take my 7.5 tonne licence or will it be 20 years before I can apply for that and my class two and then class one back?

Many thanks!

Congratulations on that one Potter.

But you can forget the HGV or C1 I think as this is what is written about epilepsy. :open_mouth:

Epilepsy
If you want to drive lorries or buses you must not have a liability to epileptic seizures i.e. you should not have suffered a fit of any kind, or required treatment for fits in the last 10 years.

Vans are nearly always under 3.5t, obviously you need to be careful though. Not sure about the epilepsy thing, I thought it was something like 5yrs but really wouldn’t swear to it.

Wheel Nut:

But you can forget the HGV or C1 I think as this is what is written about epilepsy. :open_mouth:

Epilepsy
If you want to drive lorries or buses you must not have a liability to epileptic seizures i.e. you should not have suffered a fit of any kind, or required treatment for fits in the last 10 years.

I spoke to the lady at the DVLA and its 10 years seizure free then 10 years off the tablets, so It going to be 19yrs before I can even think about it!!

google.co.uk/aclk?sa=L&ai=CS … dtransport

If you click on that link Potter, you will find the full info regarding your condition, and it,s effect on your ability to drive. It is a long read, but it has the full SP.

I,m not saying this at all lightheartedly, but have you considered a complete change of career, away from driving? Have you thought about asking your local Job-Centre Plus about the possibility of getting on a Government Funded re-training scheme?

Whatever you decide to do. You have my Best Wishes.

Potter:

Wheel Nut:

Epilepsy

I spoke to the lady at the DVLA and its 10 years seizure free then 10 years off the tablets, so It going to be 19yrs before I can even think about it!!

Everything I’ve found suggests that you were either told wrong or misunderstood what the DVLA told you, it seems that to regain your HGV entitlement you must have had no epileptic seizures for 10 years and must have not taken drugs to control it for the same 10 years.

As long as you have no more epileptic seizures you should be able to get the HGV entitlement back 10 years from when you stop/stopped taking drugs :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Good luck to you mate :wink:

Group 2–HGV/PSV licences
For large goods vehicles and passenger-carrying vehicles over 7.5 tonnes, and
vehicles with nine seats or more, a licence will be issued if the applicant:

• has had no epileptic seizure in the previous 10 years
    and
  • has not taken antiepileptic drug treatment during that 10 year period
    and
  • does not have any continuing liability to epileptic seizures, and has passed a
    medical examination by a medical consultant nominated by DVLA.

Group 2 licences

This category includes large goods vehicles (LGV or lorries), passenger carrying vehicles (PCV or buses and minibuses with nine seats or more) and horseboxes. To drive you must meet all normal driving requirements and have been seizure-free, without taking anti-epileptic drugs, for the last 10 years. The DVLA will also need to be satisfied that you are not likely to have any more seizures.

Hello Potter,
Just to say how sorry I am to hear that you have a long penance on your entiltelment to drive LGV/HGV’s under medical grounds “it ■■■■■!” I to became a victim to dvla can’t post my thoughts on them :open_mouth: I applied for my provisional LGV and had my driving licence revoked for 12mths and I was devastated!! they required that my GP filled out a medical report for this entitelment so I paid my surgery £50, for a locum who had never met me before to fill this out, so she used my medical history for reference to cut a long story, I hit the bottle during my divorce well I told my doc I was drinking a bottle of wine every night so I could sleep as I had many worries on my plate. I will mention that this was some 3 years before I had put in for LGV prov, dvla kept me waiting for outcome for 5 months before they made the decision to take away my licence to drive anything, so whislt I was under the care of my doc during my divorce and for the next three and half years I was fine to drive? why did’nt my doc advise me against this fact? I fought them in every possible way paid shed loads of money out for reports from top consultants to prove that I am not alcohol dependant but never won, :imp: I am still 3+ years on monitored by dvla every year I have to re-new my licence, but have gained my class 2 to-date :smiley: Now I have board you silly with my story I will say that I wish you all the best with your issue :slight_smile: I hope it makes you feel a little better knowing your not alone! :wink: :wink:

SamIam:
Hello Potter,
Just to say how sorry I am to hear that you have a long penance on your entiltelment to drive LGV/HGV’s under medical grounds “it ■■■■■!” I to became a victim to dvla can’t post my thoughts on them :open_mouth: I applied for my provisional LGV and had my driving licence revoked for 12mths and I was devastated!! they required that my GP filled out a medical report for this entitelment so I paid my surgery £50, for a locum who had never met me before to fill this out, so she used my medical history for reference to cut a long story, I hit the bottle during my divorce well I told my doc I was drinking a bottle of wine every night so I could sleep as I had many worries on my plate. I will mention that this was some 3 years before I had put in for LGV prov, dvla kept me waiting for outcome for 5 months before they made the decision to take away my licence to drive anything, so whislt I was under the care of my doc during my divorce and for the next three and half years I was fine to drive? why did’nt my doc advise me against this fact? I fought them in every possible way paid shed loads of money out for reports from top consultants to prove that I am not alcohol dependant but never won, :imp: I am still 3+ years on monitored by dvla every year I have to re-new my licence, but have gained my class 2 to-date :smiley: Now I have board you silly with my story I will say that I wish you all the best with your issue :slight_smile: I hope it makes you feel a little better knowing your not alone! :wink: :wink:

That’s crap Sam.

Potter had just hit the road running and I followed his story from passing his test to learning the ropes, he got stung, he learned a lot, he eventually got a decent job and lorry and then this happened to him. I have mentioned him before in another thread over the last couple of years.

Chin up Potter, at least it saves you forking out for the DCPC, perhaps you could teach it instead :stuck_out_tongue:

Sam, your story worries me slightly. I have been off work a considerable amount of time with multiple ailments, during which time I have become quite down and anxious. The doctors answer is anti depressants and psychotherapy. When I do apply for my HGV again, it worries me that they will say I am mad or a drug addict :open_mouth:

And if a bottle of wine makes me alcohol dependant then I am stuffed anyway, cheers! :wink:

SamIam:
Hello Potter,

Bored me?? You’ve driven me to drink a ■■■■■■’ bottle of red whilst I’m sat outside an RDC waiting for them to take 2 boxes off my arse end lol

I certainly don’t advocate not seeking medical advise with regards to conditions as serious as Potter’s, but my feelings now are I will never trust a Quack again!! since what happened to me I moved away to Cornwall nice and quite and I have’nt even registered with a GP, luck has been kind for once and I have’nt been ill, but if the need ever arises I will Never! discuss my needs and weekness with them (unless of couse they stimulate me in ways that I could’nt possible boar you lot with :wink: )

SamIam:
I certainly don’t advocate not seeking medical advise with regards to conditions as serious as Potter’s, but my feelings now are I will never trust a Quack again!! since what happened to me I moved away to Cornwall nice and quite and I have’nt even registered with a GP, luck has been kind for once and I have’nt been ill, but if the need ever arises I will Never! discuss my needs and weekness with them (unless of couse they stimulate me in ways that I could’nt possible boar you lot with :wink: )

I never fancied that ■■■■■■■■■■ much.

Quacks and Boars :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:

SamIam:

I never fancied that ■■■■■■■■■■ much.

Quacks and Boars :open_mouth:

Oh my a clever ■■■■, Sorry I never paid much attention at school I was too busy teasing the boys, but I will also correct; advice as well a bore. :wink: :wink:

SamIam:

To be fair, when I fractured my shoulder and saw the doctor, they noticed I had bitten my tounge and it went from there, i got referred to the neurologist and he suspected epilepsy, the only god send is I surrendered it and didn’t have it revoked, it gets really complicated then!!

I am looking at alternative jobs, the problem is I have been driving HGV’s for 8 years and don’t know much else!!

Hi Potter,
Your possitive outlook will carry you far! so keep believing in yourself! :slight_smile: I have been trying to find out a story about my cousins ex-husband who was retired from the fire brigade on medical grounds of epilepsy, he left and then went on to train for his private pilot licence, yes I would’nt get in a plane with him! I don’t know the whats and hows but he seemed to have found a loop hole and is now ferrying private clients between Islands in a helicopter!! :open_mouth:
I’m not suggesting you follow the same path and get yourself a biggles hat, but what I will say there will always be a opening that will suit you especially with your enthusiasm.
I wish you all the best in finding it :smiley:.x

SamIam:
Hi Potter,
Your possitive outlook will carry you far! so keep believing in yourself! :slight_smile: I have been trying to find out a story about my cousins ex-husband who was retired from the fire brigade on medical grounds of epilepsy, he left and then went on to train for his private pilot licence, yes I would’nt get in a plane with him! I don’t know the whats and hows but he seemed to have found a loop hole and is now ferrying private clients between Islands in a helicopter!! :open_mouth:
I’m not suggesting you follow the same path and get yourself a biggles hat, but what I will say there will always be a opening that will suit you especially with your enthusiasm.
I wish you all the best in finding it :smiley:.x

Cheers SamIam, you have to smile, i wont let the ZB’s grind me down!! :smiley: :smiley:

I wanted to be a traffic manager but I have some form of common sense :wink: :wink: