Can see why Hgv Driving Money is crap

I have worked for for Ceva & Aspray in the last few weeks as an Agency Driver at Ceva the drivers I chatted to were telling me that
after a certain amount of hours they don’t get paid then at Aspray I was asked by one of there drivers if I wouldn’t mind changing with him & do the last trunk out of there yard as there had been a hold up & everything was running late & that as I was agency I’d get paid where as he won’t as he only get’s paid up to a certain amount of hours.
Are most jobs like this in this industry ?
Or did he just take the ■■■■ to get home early not that I minded finishing late

You’ve just been had.

They wanted an early home and spun you a tale which you bought hook, line and sinker.

Some firms pay salary so you earn the same for an 8 hour day as a 15

Full timers all over will try and get the hourly paid agency bod to do “their last run”. :wink:

If that’s the case,of them being salaried and you on hours,if you want to do it,you’re getting paid,so what’s the problem?

i do cross channel work 5/6 days a week, i used to get paid by the mile, so i had no choice to get as many loads in a possible,

now i work getting paid by the load, different loads have different values, tho it is kept fair between the drivers,

i think day drivers will always have the better deal in terms of salary as they normally get paid there hours they work each day.

when im on the boat or sitting waiting on it etc, im making nothing. plus i have to feed myself all day for 5/6 days away each week,

tramping is a c**t of a job, but its addictive once you’ve had a taste of it and you’ve liked it, you just cant give it up.

bit like smoking lol,

bestbooties:
If that’s the case,of them being salaried and you on hours,if you want to do it,you’re getting paid,so what’s the problem?

First + 1 on this ^^^ Second if you want more work there have a word with
the relevant office bod and tell them you dont mind picking up extra hours
if he needs you.

Now,as to wether he has had your pants down or not.

How did he know the planner would go for this change in plan?

Had he been in the office bleating and then made out to you that
this company would collapse without him?

Just the facts mam :smiley:

When I started at the company I’m with now (last October) they said it was 50 paid hours a week. Same money every week. I soon found that I was doing a lot more, so made a note of all the hours that I do.

We work to the 17 week WTD rota, 17x50=850 hours (I always thought that WTD was 48 hours a week ■■?)

So when they tried to pay me the same money in week 17, I questioned it & low & behold they paid me all my overtime.

Now every 17 weeks I get anything from 40 hours to 80 hours extra in a lump, would be better to get it every week, but it’s not a problem for me (as long as I get it !!!)

Most of our Rigid Palletline Boys get the standard 50 hours & never ask for the extra, but then, they rarely do more than 10 hours a day anyway.

bestbooties:

It isn’t a problem at all! I’m doing it all the time! :smiley:

Where do you think a lot of agency shifts come from? - A lot of it is full timers who can’t be arsed.
In depots that pay full timers overtime though, it’s a different story. Firms paying overtime seem to be on the wane however. :unamused:

Winseer:
Where do you think a lot of agency shifts come from? - A lot of it is full timers who can’t be arsed.

That’s the most ridiculous post I’ve read today. I’ve never once heard of an agency driver being called in for that reason :unamused:

It’s fairly simple really.

If their salaried, they want to keep their hours down, and get a fair days pay for a fair days work. If they work more than say, 50 hours, they are effectively sending their salary towards the minimum wage or less.

This salary malarky should be stopped, unless the guys doing the job can work their hours so they’re not being treated as slave labour.

As an agency bod myself, I don’t mind working the hours as I know I’m getting paid for what I do.

Ken.

OVLOV JAY:

Winseer:

That’s the most ridiculous post I’ve read today. I’ve never once heard of an agency driver being called in for that reason :unamused:

I have, for weekend work at our place. regular drivers are doing 55+hrs per week & quite frankly…want the weekend off.

Therefor agency bods are brought in!

That’s not a case of drivers that “can’t be arsed”

Exactly…salaried wages gives bosses a licence to use a driver for as many hours as is legal at no extra cost…and in some cases not so legal. On the other hand if they paid by the hour they’d soon plan their drivers days/nights to ensure they weren’t out 15 hours a day.

Much prefer agency myself…for each hour or part there of I get paid…simples.

When it comes to the end of the reference period though, the salaried should, get paid time off to ensure they are within the average 48 hrs.

That’s what I am hoping for anyway

OVLOV JAY:
That’s not a case of drivers that “can’t be arsed”

Really? Why not? They ‘cant be arsed’ coming out on a saturday & agency are called in to cover the shifts. What’s the difference there then?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

busteredwards:

OVLOV JAY:

Winseer:

I have, for weekend work at our place. regular drivers are doing 55+hrs per week & quite frankly…want the weekend off.

Therefor agency bods are brought in!

…and the weekdays… and the stupid o’clock starts on their regular rotate.
It’s always the awkward shifts that need covering - never the cushy ones. This is what makes me kinda suspicious that the shifts the full timers cannot be arsed to do get tendered out to agency.
Saturday “job & knock”? - Not had one of those for over a year! - The regulars won’t be dropping shifts like that unless their leg is half sawn off by an accident involving the 5th wheel and a chair leg… :unamused:

I’d never do weekends. It’s not a case of “I can’t be arsed”, I’ve just got better things to do. My place of work doesn’t run at the weekend, and long may that continue.

I’ve never had a full time job where I got a choice to say I didn’t fancy such and such a start time. And I’ve never heard of a transport company that use agencies while their own are sitting idle. As for weekends, don’t need to do them as I have the security of a Monday to Friday gig. My hours are getting tight come Saturday morning. Sounds to me like there’s more flexibility in a full time job than an agency one

OVLOV JAY:
I’ve never had a full time job where I got a choice to say I didn’t fancy such and such a start time. And I’ve never heard of a transport company that use agencies while their own are sitting idle. As for weekends, don’t need to do them as I have the security of a Monday to Friday gig. My hours are getting tight come Saturday morning. Sounds to me like there’s more flexibility in a full time job than an agency one

I was on midnight/1am for years and about a month ago told them I wanted a change as I was sick and tired of sitting the canteen for 3/4/5 hrs per day to make my hours up and was changed the following week to 11 am starts
Quote- regular drivers can’t be arsed,spot on quote,we ( or 99%) can’t be arsed to do that extra shift/o/t simply because the way were treated/ pay etc,etc,and yes even though they don’t like it,they have to get agency to cover those shifts
Most of the long days/ runs are now done by agency at our place as we just want to do the bare minium we have too and get out the place a.s.a.p
It suits us regular drivers,and it suits them agency,they get the hours/ money and we get to see as little of that hole as needs be.
They’ve tried the how do we raise morale( is there any) thing,gave out forms asking what extra you can work over Xmas,think they’ve now got the message,use agency :exclamation: :exclamation: